Might trade my CJ for a cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Might trade my CJ for a cherokee

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Might trade my CJ for a cherokee

Hey guys, thought I would post this and see what you think! A guy emailed me and said he wanted to trade his cherokee for my CJ. It has been short email communications so I dont know what year or other specs. Any major things I should be looking for when I go to check it out?

Unread 12-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

What year cj? I would not do it you can find good Cherokee for under 3000 but its getting tougher to find good cj's for under 3000.I love my xj but would love to add a cj5 or cj6 to the stables I like the older style body of them.
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

you would be much better off sellin your cj then buyin a xj. in my area, a cj without a motor or one rusted out is still goin for 2-3 grand, nicer stock ones go for 5-6, but i have seen several stock xj's sit at 1,00-1500 for months without sellin. if i was in your situation and wanted a xj, i would sell, buy a stock xj, then use the extra from the sell to make the xj what i want.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
you would be much better off sellin your cj then buyin a xj. in my area, a cj without a motor or one rusted out is still goin for 2-3 grand, nicer stock ones go for 5-6, but i have seen several stock xj's sit at 1,00-1500 for months without sellin. if i was in your situation and wanted a xj, i would sell, buy a stock xj, then use the extra from the sell to make the xj what i want.
^ Nick05 hit the nail on the head, In my area a nice CJ will for 5-10 grand depending on how nice it is. a rusted out POS will go for 2-3 grand . where most XJ's sell for 3-4K with decent mods already
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Here is my CJ:

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4214497660/jfbj4

its a 1978 Cj5. I might have it posted for too much but what do you guys think?
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Unless you need a family car or daily driver that you can still wheel I'd keep the CJ unless the guy is willing to throw in $1-2000. Both look to be in good shape but the value in the XJ isn't there for what you want. That's based on **** around here and in OH the value gap I'd imagine is worse due to rust.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Also around here you can pick up mint 00-01 XJs with blown heads for under $2000 all day long and spend ~$300 replacing the head leaving you with an XJ worth $3-4000.

Unread 12-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

that cj would have a sticker price around here for a lot more then that. if he wants to trade, make sure you get money
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

That XJ is 00-01 based on 4.0 litre badge on hatch. 0331 head woes could plague you. Even aside from that I say no. I love my XJ but VALUE wise theres no comparison to a good CJ.
July 2013 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
X2. I'm not a cj fan but money wise everyone's right. And it does look like an 00-01. Junk head. Shop around.
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
silentmike29
1986 CJ10 

Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome...i appreciate the unbiased answers!
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Rustlin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Great advice.

Looks like we aint too far from eachother mike. I just picked up my xj in gahanna for 1400-bfgs included. There are still some good lookin xjs on cl here and Im really diggin the 00-01 blown head advice. Just saw a vid where a guy with an 00 had to swap out his cracked head. Certainly not a task for a novice but not all together daunting either.
Rustlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlin View Post
Great advice.

Looks like we aint too far from eachother mike. I just picked up my xj in gahanna for 1400-bfgs included. There are still some good lookin xjs on cl here and Im really diggin the 00-01 blown head advice. Just saw a vid where a guy with an 00 had to swap out his cracked head. Certainly not a task for a novice but not all together daunting either.
If you can turn a wrench and number things it's easy and pretty damn straight forward. The inline layout of the cylinders is nice too because it gives you enough room to pull the entire head with the manifolds still attached which makes swapping them a lot easier since you can do it on a table or bench instead of inside the engine bay.

My first one took me about 8 hours going slow but pretty steady. I've done 3 or 4 since then and I can do them in like 3 hours now without a whole lot of effort. I'd still be buying them to flip like that if I had somewhere to keep them.

Unread 12-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Rustlin
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If you can turn a wrench and number things it's easy and pretty damn straight forward. The inline layout of the cylinders is nice too because it gives you enough room to pull the entire head with the manifolds still attached which makes swapping them a lot easier since you can do it on a table or bench instead of inside the engine bay.

My first one took me about 8 hours going slow but pretty steady. I've done 3 or 4 since then and I can do them in like 3 hours now without a whole lot of effort. I'd still be buying them to flip like that if I had somewhere to keep them.
That's encouraging, I can't wait to get familiar with my xj.I love the straight six design. Got an 88 f150 with the 4.9l I6 sitting in theyard. I might start fooling around with it for some practice before I move to my DD xj. We just got a 150 pc tool set at the house so there's really no excuse not to.
Rustlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.