Metro's XJ Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Metro's XJ Build

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #136
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
trail list is final. The point of this trip is not to push our rigs past there limits 1500 miles from home, trail selection was based on both scenic value and trail difficulty. As Chris stated this is the first of many trips to Moab with out group, were getting a feel for the trails and trail rating. It would be nice to get a few solid days of difficult wheeling befor we hit the hard ****. This trip is a vacation as much as it is a wheeling specific trip.

Also 31s can go very far, but 33s are so much better! Ill never go back to 31s, but there a great stepping stone, and make you appreciate 33s so much more.
and why not? thats exactly what i did. on 30" tires and open axles i ran hells revenge, steel bender, and cliff hanger all while driving it 1800 miles home the next day. if something breaks, fix it. and didn't you say you had a bunch of trailers coming? even better

this is my advice from someone who's been there twice and ran top of the world, fins n things, hells revenge, steel bender, and cliff hanger.

top of the world sucks. a bumpy boring trail that we couldn't even finish because it was so boring. i didn't see any scenic view, i guess it was just the end that had a good part. but the trail sucked.

you really should bump up fins n things to the first day, it really is just a warm up trail. a fun trail, but a warm up nonetheless. and then you'll probably want to run hells revenge that same day since you have to pay to get into the park.

replace top of the world with cliff hanger, talk about a view. that trail is amazing. super fun and breath taking views the whole way. and cmon, if a open axled jeep can make it on 30" tires, then why can't a cherokee with 33's and a locker make it?

i apologize for the high jack

hells revenge

cliff hanger

i dont think i got the memo about not pushing the limits

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #137
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

impressive Jacob, my hats off to you. Do you recall the entry fee into Arches? Also whats done to you XJ other then open axles and 30s
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #138
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Jay View Post
impressive Jacob, my hats off to you. Do you recall the entry fee into Arches? Also whats done to you XJ other then open axles and 30s
and i might have come off as a dick but im not trying to. i just think cliff hanger is a good choice for your rigs and an awesome trail you can't miss. (especially when compared to top of the world). i just want you to have the best experience in moab. cliff hanger isn't something your jeeps can't handle.

i can't remember if its 10 or 6 dollars. nothing to worry about, but why pay twice right?

its got 1.75" spacers, v8 zj coils, crown hd leaf springs(one tweaked), 2" shackles, pro comp shocks, no swaybars, and factory rock sliders

Unread 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #139
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
and i might have come off as a dick but im not trying to. i just think cliff hanger is a good choice for your rigs and an awesome trail you can't miss. (especially when compared to top of the world). i just want you to have the best experience in moab. cliff hanger isn't something your jeeps can't handle.

i can't remember if its 10 or 6 dollars. nothing to worry about, but why pay twice right?

its got 1.75" spacers, v8 zj coils, crown hd leaf springs(one tweaked), 2" shackles, pro comp shocks, no swaybars, and factory rock sliders
its hard sometimes to not come off as a dick on the forums, i take things with a grain of salt. We can certainly consider switching one of the trails, but it is a group thing, and some may not be as adventurious as the rest, i will be the small tire guy, but probably still one of the more capable rigs due to suspention, engine power, lack of weight (we have a H1 on 37s in our group), overall size and driver skill, and lets be honest you shouldnt have any bad experiances in moab, Steel bender, PSM and Hells should start to push our rigs a bit. How did you XJ do on the "fall" or the "drop" at the end of steelbender??
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #140
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

to be honest, hells revenge is one of the easiest trails in moab. it has some insane obstacles, but all of them are optional. hells gate isn't bad, just can get tricky if you get stuck in teh wrong spot. just ride that passenger side wall. im not sure how well that h1 is going to do.... they are on 37's stock correct? steel bender really wasn't that bad at all, and wasn't nearly as fun. cliff hanger was probably my favorite trail i've ran, and a top favorite among my friends.

i dunno about poison spyder. but i wouldn't say those other two trails are pushing your limits. trails like metal masher, moab rim and and pritchett would really be pushing it

i looked it up and i dont remember the "fall", but i did try the wall and my rear end just dug in the dirt. i took the bypass which was pretty wicked on its own and got my worst damage period from that spot. if i gave the wall another go, i would make it.

Unread 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #141
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice Jacob, I am sure these ideas will be brought to the table at our next Moab Meeting with our local group.
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #142
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I finally figured it was time to relocate my license plate since my spare/carrier were completely blocking it.

Had a spacer with a with a piece of stock welded to it, and a tapped end.

Spare mounted, I then drilled through an old plate I had in the middle, and mounted it with a bolt to the tapped stock, then used the old plate to mount my actual plate with the existing plate holes.

I then had to figure out a way to wire up a light, so I spliced into the stock plate light and ran wiring behind the interior panels, out the tail light gromet, then drilled a small hole in the bottom of the tail light housing, (RTV used to reseal it), then ran it up the cross beam on the tire carrier to the rear of the spare. Just waiting on some LED bolt lights now

I'll be using these, I ordered them $15 to my door off ebay
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #143
mattyr0

Hey metro keep an eye open for anyone looking for a 98 Cherokee in awesome condition I'm selling mine
mattyr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #144
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyr0
Hey metro keep an eye open for anyone looking for a 98 Cherokee in awesome condition I'm selling mine
PM me the info I'm looking for a great shape DD.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #145
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well my LED bolt lights finally came in so finished wiring them up. The work great! I made quick disco's in the wiring so that I can easily remove the plate/lights when I need my spare.

Came out nice and clean. Just how I envisioned it

Unread 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #146
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't had too many updates lately, I have been very busy. I did take my front bumper off and repainted it since it was pretty faded. I also bought some LED water proof rock lights to mount in the front/rear wheel wells and above my rock slider mounts along the side. They are nice and bright

I also came across this "mini truss" that a friend had laying around that I am going to weld on... can't hurt

Unread 09-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #147
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So tonight I extended the harnesses for the rock lights so that I could reach front to back on the Jeep.. It got too dark outside to actually mount and wire it all up but I think it is going to come out good, just by testing one side

Extended harness Vs. stock

Matched
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #148
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wel last night I wired up my LED Rock Lights, and just in time, because while I was on the highway at around midnight, my U-joint on my rear driveshaft blew a cap and blew up. The rock lights sure helped with taking off the shaft in the middle of the night Looks like I may need a new rear yoke, as well as U-joint. I pulled the rear shaft and then limped home in 2wd (Fwd)

Unread 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #149
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well since I dickered my rear pinion yoke, I decided to overhaul it a bit so when I get the new yoke tomorrow I will do the u-bolt conversion to it. I am also ordering a new D30 yoke with the u-bolt conversion.

D30 Yoke from IRO:

PN: 84001 from Part Source/Autozone/O'Reily

Drilled out the old yoke (mock up) to 5/16 to fit new hardware

Mock Up on busted yoke and busted joint
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #150
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Those u bolts vs the straps are an amazing CHEAP mod! Should be 1 of the firsts for everyone! You can drill yokes on the jeep no worries. Cordless drills help but go slow and steady.
Correct me on the price but the "kit" is 8 bucks right? You have a great looking jeep btw..any more pics on the mini truss?
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.