Meeting strangers for jeep stuff? The good? The bad? The ugly? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Meeting strangers for jeep stuff? The good? The bad? The ugly?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Meeting strangers for jeep stuff? The good? The bad? The ugly?

Anyone else have any experience with meeting people on the street asking to exchange information to do Jeep stuff? I met someone today and they wanted to exchange numbers and they wanted me to look at their heating and vacuum lines. Heat didnt work and vacuum lines were fubar as in they didnt have the assembely on the manifold next to the Throttle Body.

I gave them a fake number because I havent had much good experience helping people in the past. Last time I ended up getting a traffic ticket. I feel pretty terrible but I know that an '88 XJ is easy as hell to steal especially when its a rare model like mine, 1988 Pioneer Olympic edition. (im not saying its worth anything monetary but it has sentimental value to me)

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with this?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Have had several meetings for parts sales & trades. Never had a problem. You share a common interest, Jeeps. I am still always careful and never EVER meet at your home. Here in PA you can still get a concealed gun permit. So I own and carry a pistol at all times. Kinda evens the playing field if things do get stupid.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Well this was a little different, they just wanted to hang out and have me help work on their rig. It seemed copacetic on the surface but I know there's psychos out there and my city is going to the crapper.
Built not bought.
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't met anyone on the street, but I'm friends with Spokes on here now because he PM'd me and was from my area. I first met him in the woods, and my family thought he was going to rape and murder me.

Also met other guys online, one from Cherokee Forum and one from Reddit. The guy on Cherokee Forum is a guy Spokes knows, and I haven't met the guy from Reddit yet, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I meet new people when I stop anywhere in my rig at a rate many times higher than when I'm driving anything else. I've never had any problems result, have found new wheelin buds, and even made a few good friends that way. But that doesn't mean I'd inherently trust anyone driving a jeep that happened to be in the same place as me at the same time. Use your better judgement and trust your guts and you'll be fine.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

Not with my jeep but I meet up with a guy from a saturn forum and sold him my stock radio. Then a week later he broke into my car and stole my subs amp and headunit... we meet at a gas station but I think he might have followed me home. But he was caught with my stuff red handed so karma worked out.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-me-B View Post
Not with my jeep but I meet up with a guy from a saturn forum and sold him my stock radio. Then a week later he broke into my car and stole my subs amp and headunit... we meet at a gas station but I think he might have followed me home. But he was caught with my stuff red handed so karma worked out.
See that's what I'm worried about. I don't want my parts stolen or my jeep ripped off. like i said these old cherokees are easy to steal and working with them so intimately like i have been i know a few ways how to steal one myself. I wouldn't do it but I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one with this knowledge.
Built not bought.
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Also I was watching my mirrors the whole way home to make sure they weren't following me.
Built not bought.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

Yeah now my truck is protected by Smith and Wesson, and strum ruger... plus a camera with night vision hd dvr for the police to hunt them down if I happen to miss...but I have alot of rounds and I'm a pretty good shot.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-me-B View Post
Yeah now my truck is protected by Smith and Wesson, and strum ruger... plus a camera with night vision hd dvr for the police to hunt them down if I happen to miss...but I have a lot of rounds and I'm a pretty good shot.
Watch it, the pacifist police will get you, someone else mentioned a gun on here dealing with theft, and another member made out like the world as we know it is coming to an end, I'm with you, you steal, you get shot in the face, harsh? Then don't steal!
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Agility

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green97xjsport
Watch it, the pacifist police will get you, someone else mentioned a gun on here dealing with theft, and another member made out like the world as we know it is coming to an end, I'm with you, you steal, you get shot in the face, harsh? Then don't steal!
In theory, sure. In the real world, that is a laughably bad idea. You don't think you'll come to regret shooting a person in the face for trying to take an object from you? I'm not a pacifist, this sort of thing gives gun owners a bad name.

Edit: Also, I think probably the real police would come get you.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeejay View Post
I haven't met anyone on the street, but I'm friends with Spokes on here now because he PM'd me and was from my area. I first met him in the woods, and my family thought he was going to rape and murder me.

Also met other guys online, one from Cherokee Forum and one from Reddit. The guy on Cherokee Forum is a guy Spokes knows, and I haven't met the guy from Reddit yet, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy.
I've heard that about him.
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
In theory, sure. In the real world, that is a laughably bad idea. You don't think you'll come to regret shooting a person in the face for trying to take an object from you? I'm not a pacifist, this sort of thing gives gun owners a bad name.

Edit: Also, I think probably the real police would come get you.
Maybe laughable but I'll be the one laughing. Get it? See the criminal can't laugh cause he's dead, you know ? Never mind. Over protective ? Maybe. But it's kind'a like the guy who puts up the sign in his yard that says "My neighbor is anti-gun." Who's going to get robbed first ? If one doesn't like my stance on counter crime then don't try to commit one against me.
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

Geez guys I think we need a sarcastic button for the kids, I will never advocate violence unless you or your family's lives are in jeopardy. Even though I carry everyday, it is the absolute last resort.

I would not shoot at someone stealing from my truck, unless they shoot at me first... if you have good insurance they should cover anything stolen from your vehicle. Everything stolen from my vehicles was replaced with better stuff except for cds.
The cops here know me by name and are a less than a mile away, they can get here before they can git out of the parking lot. I have watched them press in from all sides to catch people breaking into car here, really cool to see the way they lock down the area.
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Agility

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-me-B
Geez guys I think we need a sarcastic button for the kids, I will never advocate violence unless you or your family's lives are in jeopardy. Even though I carry everyday, it is the absolute last resort. I would not shoot at someone stealing from my truck, unless they shoot at me first... if you have good insurance they should cover anything stolen from your vehicle. Everything stolen from my vehicles was replaced with better stuff except for cds. The cops here know me by name and are a less than a mile away, they can get here before they can git out of the parking lot. I have watched them press in from all sides to catch people breaking into car here, really cool to see the way they lock down the area.
This sort of thing gives gun owners a good reputation.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.