Maybe a silly question for XJ (yes another lift thread) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Maybe a silly question for XJ (yes another lift thread)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe a silly question for XJ (yes another lift thread)

So I own a pretty stock XJ. I was hoping to get it a 3.5" lift. Small lift and slightly larger tires 31x10.5x15's are the goal. I'm still completely green with this stuff and I have really tried to use the "search" field for all my question. So I have been saving my pennies slowly the last couple weeks. I have seen some semi-complete lifts with full leaf packs, steering stabilizer, transfer case drop and upper/lower controls arms (from what I have read these are my priority points on choosing a kit)

Here is my question. I have seen a handful of 4.5 lifts for sale (crags list, Forum etc) and the prices looks good. Can I purchase one of these larger lifts and not use the larger shackles? Would the front end be up a little higher or could I somehow match the rear end height? If this is the dumbest idea you have ever heard feel free to chime in.

theHouseOG

theHouseOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
ahar9
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHouseOG View Post
So I own a pretty stock XJ. I was hoping to get it a 3.5" lift. Small lift and slightly larger tires 31x10.5x15's are the goal. I'm still completely green with this stuff and I have really tried to use the "search" field for all my question. So I have been saving my pennies slowly the last couple weeks. I have seen some semi-complete lifts with full leaf packs, steering stabilizer, transfer case drop and upper/lower controls arms (from what I have read these are my priority points on choosing a kit)

Here is my question. I have seen a handful of 4.5 lifts for sale (crags list, Forum etc) and the prices looks good. Can I purchase one of these larger lifts and not use the larger shackles? Would the front end be up a little higher or could I somehow match the rear end height? If this is the dumbest idea you have ever heard feel free to chime in.

theHouseOG
If your looking for a cheap 3 inch lift you can use 3" coils up front with wj control arms. You can get the wj arms at a junkyard for cheap. Get some s10 leaf springs from the junkyard and take your xj springs and use the full s10 leaf pack with the xj main leaf on top. You could prob get it all for 100 bucks if you can find the coils on craigslist. If your interested I do have some 3 inch coils and wj control arms id sell. You wont need a transfercase drop with only a 3 inch lift. I dont think you would need brake lines either.
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a simple 3" lift that works good for mild wheeling get the rustys 3" full spring pack kit. No need for anything else with this lift for DD use and weekend wheeling
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Most if not all 4.5" kits use a 3" leaf pack with an extended shackle. After 4.5" kits use 4.5" lift leaf packs, don't ask me why. I wouldn't go 4.5 until you researched your *** off! And I mean it, there is a big difference between 3" and 4.5". If you want 31's, 3" is a great height. All you really need for 3" is coils, leafs, and shocks. That is the bare minimum. You could run into driveline vibrations and some other problems. Stock control arms don't need replacing at 3" but it is a good idea to get appropriate control arms to have a good caster. WJ lower control arms are no longer, same length, as XJ lower control arms, the only benefit to them is that they are curved to allow a little but more wheel clearance when turning at full lock; should be fixed with properly backspaced wheels and not control arms. Extended brake lines are not needed nor do they need to be re-positioned with stock control arms; will be needed once you upgrade them. A transfer case drop may be needed since all jeeps are different when lifting. I don't recommend one though, I had one and it got caught up on everything when wheeling and ended up smashing it in on a rock causing some major driveline problems. Slip Yoke Eliminator is the way to go if you are going to wheel your jeep. And when I say wheel I mean just about abuse it, not light trail riding. T-case drop is fine if its a street queen. Lastly, I wouldn't even worry about a steering stabilizer. They are unneeded and are a comfort item. They mask problems when they arise.
I can lead you to some kits or give the cheapest possible way if you want. Never asked for it so I won't go into depth about it. Hope all that helps!
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you gentlemen for the info.

Ahar- I might just take you up on that offer.

IDIDiesel - This is definitely going to be a daily driver for me and my family. BUT my goal is take it camping upstate and in Connecticut near my wife's family. This jeep is in great shape (no rust, scratches, body damage etc) so I would love to make it look like a world beater but I plan on taking care of it for the next 5 years at least. I have been looking pretty much exclusively at the Rusty's full leaf pack lift and Rough Country's 3inch lift Stage 2 with the control arms.

Muddy97 - That is a lot of great info and it really helps clarify some of my questions. I really never planned on going above 3inches but when I saw the two 4.5 inch kits on sale (for less than a 3 inch lift) I wondered if I could just purchase that kit and just not use the extended shackles. I also am not going to be "wheeling" so thats good to know about the SYE. A lot of the numerous threads on this subject have people screaming that you need them for this or that reason. Just like a lot of the guys on here, all I really want is to be able to purchase a larger set of all-terrain tires to get "that look" ya know? I really didn't want to build a basdard pack since I really don't have the experience but it seems like I might have to go that route. My tires are just about bald at this point and I want to pull the trigger on a lift before I have to purchase them. Our family business is going to pick up the cost of the tires (as a type of business expense) but I can't in good conscious try to pass of the cost of a lift to them.

But I am all ears on your builds and what little details you went through. I am most nervous about not having replacement rubber bushings for each component. I have read a couple people that make it a point to mention that if you have a chance to replace bushings anywhere on the jeep, do it as you go. It makes for a softer ride.
Unread 11-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Take a look at my build and what Iv done on the Rustys lift. You can tell its great for DD and hard offroading(at least hard to me-keeping up with 33s and full lockers). I added the control arms about 8 months later because my flex was being limited and was getting worried about bending a arm the way I wheel it.
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Take a look at my build and what Iv done on the Rustys lift. You can tell its great for DD and hard offroading(at least hard to me-keeping up with 33s and full lockers). I added the control arms about 8 months later because my flex was being limited and was getting worried about bending a arm the way I wheel it.
I saw your build and read the whole thread.....

Your Jeep.... makes the back of my eyeballs hurt.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHouseOG View Post
I saw your build and read the whole thread.....

Your Jeep.... makes the back of my eyeballs hurt.
Brake check or get in my way I dare you
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Brake check or get in my way I dare you

Haha. I liked all the mods you have done. I appreciate DIY **** so your build is really an inspiration.

And as far as the aesthetics of your jeep...Ray Charles would be happy to see it.
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

There really is no need to go any taller then 3.5" on an XJ, I have no issues following guys with 37's-42's in my Little XJ on 33's Small Rigs make you a better driver. Big rigs make you lazy. Most of the guys with the massive rigs look at the money they spent and will admit they wish they stayed with a smaller rig with 33-35's since they will take you damn near anywhere you can go and still drive it to and from the trail.

Unread 11-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
theHouseOG
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Honestly Tom - 3.5" seems sexy as hell to me. Considering I really am never planning on "wheeling" hard. The most this thing will ever experience is trail riding upstate. But zero bouldering, zero rock crawling and zero water passes or anything like that. If I had my way, I would make it all 3.5" lift with 32x75x10.5 ( I like the look of the slimmer tires) and no fender cutting. I really like the stock look of the body but would really have to research out making a decision on tires like that. All I know for certain is that it is November and my tires are completely shot. I need to make the decision sooner than later.
Unread 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Get yourself some 3" coils for the front, 2" OME leafs in the rear with some 1" shackles (or shackle relocation brackets since most add 1.5" and will give you a better shackle angle), Bilstein shocks all around and an adjustable trackbar. Better ride and performance than any kit you can go buy and it will outlast them as well. You'll spend a little more up front but save a lot more in the long run.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.