May buy an 01 Sport. Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > May buy an 01 Sport. Suggestions?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

May buy an 01 Sport. Suggestions?

Not at All new to jeeps. Selling my 04 Rubicon now and once again did everything I could to make a great driving jeep and beyond capable off road rig. However life changes. I now have way to much money tied into a jeep that I get 13 mpg with and already know all summer I will not have a day to go wheeling. I have had 4 YJ's before this one and wanted to do things right and new that time. I pondered a ton of ideas but I just HATE all Cars unless its really nice and sporty and I'm not gonna spend 25+ grand on something and have a payment. I do own a 2008 F250 diesel an its still like new, but its just as bad on fuel and is a real pain to daily drive a 4 door truck everywhere for no reason. I always love a jeep for small nimble And run forever if maintained and I'm a nut with that. So with that being said I found a pretty nice Cherokee I like. Mom had 3 of them as I grew up and we are always partial to them. I like the later model ones being a bit more updated inside. I like the idea of power windows and locks over my wrangler and not being able to lock it half the time (hardtop). So my reasoning is if I'm going to get crap mileage, having 15+ grand into a rubicon and 4.88's lifted all that I can't take it daily driving. Although its built and drives perfect it is a lot of my funds for life tied up. Jeep I like is again a 2001 sport 4 door 4x4. 144k miles all stock. Very minimum rust ill go look at it tomorrow for under the hood information. As well as a drive and test all linkage and such. Has price tag of $3,000 on it so hopefully I grab for tad less. Has one owner car fax and no accidents. Rust flakes of paint on roof and little rust under paint in corners but I don't mind long as it doesn't leAk. I'm looking for a beater I can maintain and put my miles on, and have a safe 4wd SUV for bad weather and winters here in NY. Also I am sure the Cherokees were way better on road and highway (short distances nothing big and 65-70 mph without issues). Also love a 4 door to fit more than two people when needed and the dogs, its just me an the lady and 4 seats is nice for friends plus luggage or stuff. Also mountain bike avidly so I can use roof rack perfectly and room inside for my stuff.

Plans: KEEP IS STOCK I learn more and more as I go. And if my wrangler was stock I would keep it but to much has been done to go back. With this Cherokee I can have lots of money back in savings, pay off last bit of bills, and have plenty left to maintain jeep and truck still. I figure right off bat do a tranny flush, oil/filter for engine too. Seafoam treatment does well with my old jeeps. Plugs (01 is not a distributor so not much to do there), and steering fluid fresh. Also bleed brakes, worse case do all 4 new rotors calipers and pads to know I'm safe. Still cheap to do and I do all my own work so not sweating that. I would probably get some nicer wheels so it looks better, something classic and clean with some BFG AT's my favorite on 15x7 wheels (235's seem to be tire of choice). Perhaps some new shocks so the ride is decent.

So with that all being said, thanks for still reading, can I expect 15mpg or more for my daily 26 mile commute and blasting around town as I do. Never going to wheel sadly but I don't plan on getting stuck in bad weather or anything off blacktop if I have to face it. I really don't want any death wobble, and hope I don't have to replace much with control arms if bushings are junk. Thanks for reading hopefully good things coming to me and I can run this jeep for all she's got in her. Buddy's XJ has 300,000 on clock and just keeps going so I am hoping I can join him!

Potential jeep is in pictures. She's real real clean inside as well.

image-3996842906.jpg   image-2502089938.jpg  
'04 Rubicon Auto - 3" Savvy/Currie Lift - Rancho 9000's - 4.88's - 33x10.5 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rock Vipers - 1.25" BL/1" MML - UCF Extra Clearance Aluminum Skids - Warn M8000-S - Besrk Rear Bumper/Carrier - JCR Stubby F. Bumper
Moroney167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well maintained and stock, you can absolutely expect 15 or more for daily driving. I average 18 mpg with my stock daily driving XJ, and I still have some things to fix/restore that are may be hurting my mileage.

If you're not going to be wheeling, why not use a more modern tire and/or a milder (or even highway) tire? Bigger/heavier tires with more aggressive tread are just unnecessary drains if you're not offroading. I have to go off road occasionally, so my super mild (highway-AT hybrids really) Kumho RoadVenture SATs (BFG Rugged Terrains are a good fit for this niche as well) really fit the bill, but if not for those few times, I'd be on the road all most 100% of the time and would be using highway tires like Firestone Destination LE or Continental CrossContact (LX20 or LX Sport). I stuck to my original size of P225/75r15 to keep weight/friction/aerodynamic drag down and to cut through snow that little bit better. If you happen to want to know definitively what your stock tire size was, don't use the door sticker; I'm pretty sure they all say 215, but a build sheet confirmed that my XJ came with 225/75 from the factory. XJ factory tire sizes have been 215/75, 225/70, 225/75, and 235/75 to my knowledge.

Keep the cooling system well maintained on any XJ, but 00 and 01 especially because of that 0331 head. They don't all crack, and the cracking is exaggerated by the nature of the internet, but it's still something to be aware of. Even if it does crack, it's not the end of the world and isn't that big a deal if you catch it and fix/replace it quickly. If you don't know what I'm talking about, a quick search about the 0331 head will tell you all you need to know and even more that you don't need to know.
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
Well maintained and stock, you can absolutely expect 15 or more for daily driving. If you're not going to be wheeling, why not use a more modern tire and/or a milder (or even highway) tire? Bigger/heavier tires with more aggressive tread are just unnecessary drains if you're not offroading. I have to go off road occasionally, so my super mild (highway-AT hybrids really) Kumho RoadVenture SATs (BFG Rugged Terrains are a good fit for this niche as well) really fit the bill, but if not for those few times, I'd be on the road all most 100% of the time and would be using highway tires like Firestone Destination LE or Continental CrossContact (LX20 or LX Sport).
True. I can't help but love the 80's date look of white wall out BFG's on a jeep. But I would also consider a better, yet cheaper, tire. See a couple in that size I would run that I am sure are lighter and better for road and still good in snow. Goodyear and cooper have a couple. Goodyear armour tires seem happy medium, and cooper Destination at3 or something. Honestly don't care I do like a tad aggressive look. Over less than 1 mpg depending tire tread I may deal with it looks do go a long way
'04 Rubicon Auto - 3" Savvy/Currie Lift - Rancho 9000's - 4.88's - 33x10.5 KM2's on 15x8 Black Rock Vipers - 1.25" BL/1" MML - UCF Extra Clearance Aluminum Skids - Warn M8000-S - Besrk Rear Bumper/Carrier - JCR Stubby F. Bumper
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'd probably go with Coop AT3 or Hankook Dynapro ATM if you're still wanting something a bit more aggressive. They're both fantastic modern AT tires. Firestone Destination AT is also an absolute champ at being a good all-arounder with an attractive price tag.
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd probably go with Coop AT3 or Hankook Dynapro ATM if you're still wanting something a bit more aggressive. They're both fantastic modern AT tires. Firestone Destination AT is also an absolute champ at being a good all-arounder with an attractive price tag.
Thanks. Can't wait to get her setup. Hopefully its in good enough shape and after all maintenance up to par shell be good and solid for some trips to Maryland w the lady and the beach. 5 hour drive from home. Finally put that roof rack cargo carrier on and to work! I love looking at these with a small lift but I am definitely over the lift thing. Stock last the longest and drives best have to remember that. And if I lift any its gonna suck using roof rack I'm short enough
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Well maintained and stock, you can absolutely expect 15 or more for daily driving. I average 18 mpg with my stock daily driving XJ, and I still have some things to fix/restore that are may be hurting my mileage.

If you're not going to be wheeling, why not use a more modern tire and/or a milder (or even highway) tire? Bigger/heavier tires with more aggressive tread are just unnecessary drains if you're not offroading. I have to go off road occasionally, so my super mild (highway-AT hybrids really) Kumho RoadVenture SATs (BFG Rugged Terrains are a good fit for this niche as well) really fit the bill, but if not for those few times, I'd be on the road all most 100% of the time and would be using highway tires like Firestone Destination LE or Continental CrossContact (LX20 or LX Sport). I stuck to my original size of P225/75r15 to keep weight/friction/aerodynamic drag down and to cut through snow that little bit better. If you happen to want to know definitively what your stock tire size was, don't use the door sticker; I'm pretty sure they all say 215, but a build sheet confirmed that my XJ came with 225/75 from the factory. XJ factory tire sizes have been 215/75, 225/70, 225/75, and 235/75 to my knowledge.

Keep the cooling system well maintained on any XJ, but 00 and 01 especially because of that 0331 head. They don't all crack, and the cracking is exaggerated by the nature of the internet, but it's still something to be aware of. Even if it does crack, it's not the end of the world and isn't that big a deal if you catch it and fix/replace it quickly. If you don't know what I'm talking about, a quick search about the 0331 head will tell you all you need to know and even more that you don't need to know.
x2

When you go to look at it, look for more rust. The rockers can get bad, especially if it's starting on the corners. The front floor pans can also rust, so get under the jeep and poke around. If the jeep has stock suspension then the ride is going to be good. Bilstein shocks could possibly make it better. If the leaf springs are sagging, replace them with Old Man Emu leafs. You should be able to maintain above 15 mpg's easily. Little engine modifications will also increase the mpg's.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
bobbo_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroney167 View Post
Not at All new to jeeps. Selling my 04 Rubicon now and once again did everything I could to make a great driving jeep and beyond capable off road rig. However life changes. I now have way to much money tied into a jeep that I get 13 mpg with and already know all summer I will not have a day to go wheeling. I have had 4 YJ's before this one and wanted to do things right and new that time. I pondered a ton of ideas but I just HATE all Cars unless its really nice and sporty and I'm not gonna spend 25+ grand on something and have a payment. I do own a 2008 F250 diesel an its still like new, but its just as bad on fuel and is a real pain to daily drive a 4 door truck everywhere for no reason. I always love a jeep for small nimble And run forever if maintained and I'm a nut with that. So with that being said I found a pretty nice Cherokee I like. Mom had 3 of them as I grew up and we are always partial to them. I like the later model ones being a bit more updated inside. I like the idea of power windows and locks over my wrangler and not being able to lock it half the time (hardtop). So my reasoning is if I'm going to get crap mileage, having 15+ grand into a rubicon and 4.88's lifted all that I can't take it daily driving. Although its built and drives perfect it is a lot of my funds for life tied up. Jeep I like is again a 2001 sport 4 door 4x4. 144k miles all stock. Very minimum rust ill go look at it tomorrow for under the hood information. As well as a drive and test all linkage and such. Has price tag of $3,000 on it so hopefully I grab for tad less. Has one owner car fax and no accidents. Rust flakes of paint on roof and little rust under paint in corners but I don't mind long as it doesn't leAk. I'm looking for a beater I can maintain and put my miles on, and have a safe 4wd SUV for bad weather and winters here in NY. Also I am sure the Cherokees were way better on road and highway (short distances nothing big and 65-70 mph without issues). Also love a 4 door to fit more than two people when needed and the dogs, its just me an the lady and 4 seats is nice for friends plus luggage or stuff. Also mountain bike avidly so I can use roof rack perfectly and room inside for my stuff.

Plans: KEEP IS STOCK I learn more and more as I go. And if my wrangler was stock I would keep it but to much has been done to go back. With this Cherokee I can have lots of money back in savings, pay off last bit of bills, and have plenty left to maintain jeep and truck still. I figure right off bat do a tranny flush, oil/filter for engine too. Seafoam treatment does well with my old jeeps. Plugs (01 is not a distributor so not much to do there), and steering fluid fresh. Also bleed brakes, worse case do all 4 new rotors calipers and pads to know I'm safe. Still cheap to do and I do all my own work so not sweating that. I would probably get some nicer wheels so it looks better, something classic and clean with some BFG AT's my favorite on 15x7 wheels (235's seem to be tire of choice). Perhaps some new shocks so the ride is decent.

So with that all being said, thanks for still reading, can I expect 15mpg or more for my daily 26 mile commute and blasting around town as I do.
You should get at least 15mpg. I think you will be more happy with the 235/75s, they look much better on stock than a smaller tire, and with new wheels it is gonna look nice. Good luck with getting it!
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well jeep turned out to be not so great. Tons of rust and get thick flaking on important stuff like frame side trac bar mount. Body. Seat bolt inside driver seat. Door seemed loose lots of rust inside all seams and bottom of doors.

Got my gears turning though I honestly can find one soon. I don't mind sending up near $5000 for a better condition one. Have to find time to go look at the ones I'm finding
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

You implied that 4wd is something you want, but fwiw, a manual 2wd XJ can get fairly great mpg (over 20). If you happen upon a 4 cyl, they don't really get much better mpg because they have to work that much harder. The 4 cyl IS just as easy to work on and reliable as the 4.0 since it's basically the same engine minus 2 cyl.
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You implied that 4wd is something you want, but fwiw, a manual 2wd XJ can get fairly great mpg (over 20). If you happen upon a 4 cyl, they don't really get much better mpg because they have to work that much harder. The 4 cyl IS just as easy to work on and reliable as the 4.0 since it's basically the same engine minus 2 cyl.
Thanks. I deff wouldn't say no to a manual but I would like to be sure I have 4x4. May not need it a lot but winter can be a mess and I would be considering trips up where we snowmobile an roads are deff not good! But if price is right ill get 2wd. Givin the 360 days of the year I won't use it and can drive my truck
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well jeep turned out to be not so great. Tons of rust and get thick flaking on important stuff like frame side trac bar mount. Body. Seat bolt inside driver seat. Door seemed loose lots of rust inside all seams and bottom of doors.

Got my gears turning though I honestly can find one soon. I don't mind sending up near $5000 for a better condition one. Have to find time to go look at the ones I'm finding
$5000 is a steep in my book. I got my off the lot condition 97 XJ for $3000 and that was steep compared to some of my buddies XJ's. Finding another one will be easy but there might be a wait. There are always good ones that pop up on craigslist here in OK every week.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks. I deff wouldn't say no to a manual but I would like to be sure I have 4x4. May not need it a lot but winter can be a mess and I would be considering trips up where we snowmobile an roads are deff not good! But if price is right ill get 2wd. Givin the 360 days of the year I won't use it and can drive my truck
I'm not tellin' you to get one thing or another. I just wanted to hook you up with a little info should you happen to run into one for sale.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Moroney167
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee

$5000 is a steep in my book. I got my off the lot condition 97 XJ for $3000 and that was steep compared to some of my buddies XJ's. Finding another one will be easy but there might be a wait. There are always good ones that pop up on craigslist here in OK every week.
Agree. Just saying ill happily pay up to 5 if its worth it. Again I'm in north east rust belt so it's tuff to find good shapes. However I want to deff find a personal sale.

Quote:

I'm not tellin' you to get one thing or another. I just wanted to hook you up with a little info should you happen to run into one for sale.
No worries I got what your saying.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.