In the market - what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > In the market - what to look for?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
joshisme
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In the market - what to look for?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an XJ and I am just looking for some recommendations for things to look for.

I wish i would have read these forums before buying my YJ because i had some hidden rust in problem areas that i could have easily avoided, and I'm hoping for some similar suggestions.

Any common problem areas, or preferred years/parts that i should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

joshisme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Among the usual things, check the flat section of the floors from underneath for rust. When I checked mine out, I was more concerned with the frame areas and where the suspension mounts and I totally missed that I was looking at the bottom of the carpet, not sheet metal.
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Rust is the main thing to look for. Floors and rocker panels are the first to go. Pay attention to that before anything else. the motors/transmissions are pretty solid. Just make sure they have been properly maintained. Test drive for sure and if possible, bring it to a shop and have it inspected before you buy it to make sure its mechanically sound
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
joshisme
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I will be sure to give it a thorough rust inspection. I've seen a few cherokees listed around here with only about 100k miles and i am going to try to snag one of those.

There are quite a few listed with 175k+ miles but I am a little wary of that, though i have heard these engines last forever.
joshisme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

I bought mine with 223k, aside from the floors, everything was in great shape.
Drive it, use your judgement. I try and let vehicles that I might buy run for a while at idle, I want them nice and hot to make sure they aren't overheating, its easy to miss if you hurry the inspection process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.