Malnourished 01 XJ/ Dilemma on lift or no lift. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Malnourished 01 XJ/ Dilemma on lift or no lift.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
itiswhatitisxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Malnourished 01 XJ/ Dilemma on lift or no lift.

I recently bought an 01 XJ Limitied, Towing Package, Automatic, 4.0L, C8.25/3.55 Rear, AW4, 218k miles, 225/75R16

The radiator fluid is clean, engine oil is fine, transmission oil is still pink. I believe the previous owner maintained it through Firestone, somewhat.

I pressure washed the whole damn thing. And found that I might need to change the rear main seal because of some minor leaking. I also plan on changing the rear diff. fluid (some leaking there), transfer case fluid, and the front diff. fluid and repack the bearings(?).

Besides that, I believe the driveline is in good shape.

As far as the suspension; I ordered a steering stabilizer from Rough Country and I'm pretty sure all 4 shocks are worn. I experience death wobble coming down a bridge de-accelerating from 80 mph and it wasn't fun.

And here is my dilemma; I like the performance of the stock Jeep, the gas mileage, no road noise, no drivetrain vibrations and the overall look. But the lift kits come with new shocks and I'll probably want to lift it once I start wheeling and taking it out on trails. I just don't know if it's right for me at the moment because I'll probably be gone to basic for the USCG by the end of the year (haven't gotten my ship date yet, working on my security clearance stuff now) but it'll probably be less than 6 months. Its going to sit for 2-6 months, probably, might even be longer.

So should I just replace the shocks with heavy duty/towing(rear)/stock economy(front) shocks or order a 4.5 Series X RC lift and tires?

I really want a new heavy duty bumper too. Maybe an OR-Fab Rock Slider.

But besides the dilemma, I plan on replacing the mentioned fluids, and paint some fender flares I pulled from the junkyard.

Thanks for reading/replying in advance.

itiswhatitisxj

http://imgur.com/a/poEdW

Last edited by itiswhatitisxj; 07-25-2014 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: HTML fail
itiswhatitisxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It is not, lift or no lift. It should be I want XX" tires, what do I need to be able to wheel this? Your asking the wrong question.. Or at least asking at wrong time.. Fact, if you plan to run OEM tire sizes 215, 225 and yes 235/75r15. You don't NEED a lift to wheel a XJ. What you need is protection and traction aids. Now if you want 31" tires or bigger, you MIGHT need a lift. But remember big tires use more gas. So that means if you want bigger than 31" you need gears to recover some of the lost power and MPGs. IMO there is no reason to lift an XJ over 3.5" or go bigger than 31" tires..
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
DunmerBoy
TJ <3's Reddit

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
It is not, lift or no lift. It should be I want XX" tires, what do I need to be able to wheel this? Your asking the wrong question.. Or at least asking at wrong time.. Fact, if you plan to run OEM tire sizes 215, 225 and yes 235/75r15. You don't NEED a lift to wheel a XJ. What you need is protection and traction aids. Now if you want 31" tires or bigger, you MIGHT need a lift. But remember big tires use more gas. So that means if you want bigger than 31" you need gears to recover some of the lost power and MPGs. IMO there is no reason to lift an XJ over 3.5" or go bigger than 31" tires..
that kinda depends on terrain. here there are times when my break over angle at ~4.5 inches of lift and 31s isnt enough
COTM October 2014
- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
It is not, lift or no lift. It should be I want XX" tires, what do I need to be able to wheel this?
X2, the whole point of a lift is to be able to fit the tires you want on there...

I have 31" tires on a 2" lift, rub like crazy off road. (lift was on there when I bought it) going to a 3.5" lift, and when my 31" tires wear out I'll probably throw some 33's with some fender trimming, a regear, and at least a rear auto locker.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have 31" tires, currently at 2" lift front and 3" rear. Lowered from 5". Front also has some very light shaving of the flares, extended bump stops and adjusted steering stops. I only rub in the rear when flexed. Inside of rear tires hit inside of the wheel well. 1/2" less backspacing or extended rear bump stop will fix that.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've been beating myself up over the same thing. I need this Jeep to get me to work several days a week. However, it's a gas sucker for sure. Lifting would make that worse, and ruin the already basically terrible ride. I'm thinking about some good shocks and some 235 tires (currently 215). Eventually want a rear lunchbox locker for that extra umph off road and skid plates eventually, as the junk yard comes up with them.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice , lift , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.