making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97)

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #121
SpakeXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

These are awesome!!!

SpakeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #122
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
What you need to figure out I guess is first which pins go to which needles and then figure out whether they run off of amperage gain wattage gain or voltage gain. Then figure out whether you can find a way to make a machine that does the same (I would assume that a dimmer switch may work???)

I may be able to get you an ECU on the cheap but I'll have to see about that one.

REALLY REALLY liking the carbon fiber (or whatever it is) pattern. It's just that final touch you needed. Now I am DEFINITELY in for getting one. Can't wait to see what other patterns you come out with
Thanks guys!

The graphics shop is backordered, and I have a plan to combat the issues with the ghosting, which in order to look somewhat factory, will just need to have 2 extra layers. that should do it... the stock lighting is stronger than I expected. If going LED or otherwise, people may need to use less layers, but it is twice the material I expected on these, and a bit more printing.

Thus is why we try and try before getting them out, right?

Ive got a few people in mind who have helped with these from early on that I would like to participate in my first test run, hopefully in the first week of Feb. Look for a PM as I get my notes together.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #123
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

Thanks guys!

The graphics shop is backordered, and I have a plan to combat the issues with the ghosting, which in order to look somewhat factory, will just need to have 2 extra layers. that should do it... the stock lighting is stronger than I expected. If going LED or otherwise, people may need to use less layers, but it is twice the material I expected on these, and a bit more printing.

Ive got a few people in mind who have helped with these from early on that I would like to participate in my first test run, hopefully in the first week of Feb. Look for a PM as I get my notes together.
So if you have leds can you just pull some layers off or is it more complicated then that.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #124
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
So if you have leds can you just pull some layers off or is it more complicated then that.
I think it will depend on the LED setup. if the LEDs are like the ones I had (pretty dim, and eventually destroyed by my dimmer) it will just be a matter of pulling off a layer, which would need to be tried for personal preference before the needles are put back in.
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #125
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks guys!

jut like an extra 2 sheets of black for shading? couldn't that be done with a much cheaper material to save cost? and be easier on the cutter...

I noticed the ghosting but I thought maybe it was just the camera. Dont LEDs put out more light?
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:51 AM   #126
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Its not so much to block light, but to soften the light that does come through the white parts. If you look at the pictures above, there are strange shadows where you can see the internal reflections of the plastic they use for support and to refract light to under the needles. I dont think it will change the pricing point much, if at all, because the layers I think can be used from pieces that are scrapped anyhow. (36" sheet, 12" max cut area for alignment purposes right now)

Waste not, want not, right?
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #127
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Its not so much to block light, but to soften the light that does come through the white parts. If you look at the pictures above, there are strange shadows where you can see the internal reflections of the plastic they use for support and to refract light to under the needles. I dont think it will change the pricing point much, if at all, because the layers I think can be used from pieces that are scrapped anyhow. (36" sheet, 12" max cut area for alignment purposes right now)

Waste not, want not, right?
So really... you will be saving money. Thats how you do it!
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #128
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I get my LED bulbs in the mail anytime soon we could test it out considering you're what, 45 minutes from me?

Doubt I'll get them within the week though, stupid chinese shipping.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #129
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Would you be apposed to doing a write-up on how to disassemble then reassemble the cluster? Do the gauge needles need to be calibrated or are they notched at a specific location
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #130
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post
If I get my LED bulbs in the mail anytime soon we could test it out considering you're what, 45 minutes from me?

Doubt I'll get them within the week though, stupid chinese shipping.
See what we can do, I bet the bulbs will be here before then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
Would you be apposed to doing a write-up on how to disassemble then reassemble the cluster? Do the gauge needles need to be calibrated or are they notched at a specific location
Unfortunately not notched. Ive seen a good install video for an indiglow type aftermarket mask that I will be borrowing some cues from. I would say not as easy as installing new tires like the pre-97s, more like installing a SYE. Doable at home, but not super easy.
Unread 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #131
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
See what we can do, I bet the bulbs will be here before then.

Unfortunately not notched. Ive seen a good install video for an indiglow type aftermarket mask that I will be borrowing some cues from. I would say not as easy as installing new tires like the pre-97s, more like installing a SYE. Doable at home, but not super easy.
This is completely unrelated, but I think on the "explode offroad" sticker you should put the XJ grill slats and the turn signals under the headlights in white... or sell one of all kinds of jeeps.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #132
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
This is completely unrelated, but I think on the "explode offroad" sticker you should put the XJ grill slats and the turn signals under the headlights in white... or sell one of all kinds of jeeps.
Noted!

Anywho...

Just got off the phone with my contact at Accugraphics. He has a sample print in hand, and will be emailing me photos of the precision tomorrow. If all goes well, its ordering time for the machine, and should not take long to get my setup calibrated to work with it.

Its making me a bit giddy

Ive also thought about the requests for the face plates for AC controls I had in the past. With the new machine and material, that should be doable now. I'll just have to find a 97+ and a pre97 unit to make demo models from.

Unread 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #133
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Noted!

Anywho...

Just got off the phone with my contact at Accugraphics. He has a sample print in hand, and will be emailing me photos of the precision tomorrow. If all goes well, its ordering time for the machine, and should not take long to get my setup calibrated to work with it.

Its making me a bit giddy

Ive also thought about the requests for the face plates for AC controls I had in the past. With the new machine and material, that should be doable now. I'll just have to find a 97+ and a pre97 unit to make demo models from.

I'm getting way to excited for these ha. I you need to hurry up and make them!
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #134
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
I'm getting way to excited for these ha. I you need to hurry up and make them!
trust me, I would love to have them out the door! My wife noted last night that Ive got 5 jobs at the moment, and only 1 and a half are paying
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #135
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

trust me, I would love to have them out the door! My wife noted last night that Ive got 5 jobs at the moment, and only 1 and a half are paying
Well I'm sure she won't be complaining when there all paying!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.