making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97)

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 01-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #106
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Getting closer.... Yes, the speedo (and a few others) needs moved over just a hair. This was the 3rd cut and I only adjusted for where the holes are, not for the print, that I can do tomorrow.

20130122_013516.jpg  
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #107
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Getting closer.... Yes, the speedo (and a few others) needs moved over just a hair. This was the 3rd cut and I only adjusted for where the holes are, not for the print, that I can do tomorrow.
They look kick *** man. Keep it up.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #108
jimmy21669
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So ready for mine when you get it dialed in.
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #109
CloakedLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wow these look awesome. When the TJ ones are ready I will order a set for sure!
CloakedLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #110
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Progress!

Ive got the cut template adjusted. Got the prints adjusted, and a set of those is coming out of the printer right now:

Sent off some files to the good folks at Accugraphics to test on of their machines, and if all goes according to plan, I'll empty out my bank account (filled from sales of my other gauges) and then buy one of their spiffy cutters. Nothing is done on credit folks, its all about saving and making... and then investing to save and make some more.
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #111
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm putting my 2 cents in here .... I want my check engine light to be a " $ " and change the light to green!!! and count me in!!
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #112
Jbat

I would really like a cluster that is the same color as my jeep. If you could do that, I would buy one yesterday. I have a 97 Grand Cherokee Leredo. In the factory purple
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #113
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Color matching would be interesting... but a tad bit difficult. To really get close I would need a paint sample at best, or a really good photo.
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #114
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Asked the question over here, but it doent get much traffic over there.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/s...-them-1470412/

Quote:
Is there a place that I can find sensor output values (like the temp sensor runs 200-300 ohms) and what sort of signal needs to go to the tach and speedo?

I am building up a test and calibration setup for my new gauge kits (thread on that here), and would like to be able to tell the things to sit dead center and be able to move a pot or 1 and run through the range of motion so I can not only test the cluster, but make sure the needles are in the right places.
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #115
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy

I know it would be pretty crude... But have you thought to splice the wires behind and see with a multimeter?

Sent from under my Jeep
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #116
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I'm putting my 2 cents in here .... I want my check engine light to be a " $ " and change the light to green!!! and count me in!!
Check engine light color is set to what it is set to. There is a special diffuser lens that needs to be removed / modified that sits behind the faceplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
I know it would be pretty crude... But have you thought to splice the wires behind and see with a multimeter?

Sent from under my Jeep
Yes. Right now, dont have the pigtails to be able to do that. What I have found is that a TJ pinout is different (although same cluster) than an XJ, and the idiot light versions are different too. No luck so far, although I can get the idiot light cluster to go though a diagnostic, but no luck with the needles. I fear I need an ECU to be able to run the full diagnostic test for the cluster. That is a bit out of my price range. And I dont want to hit the wrong wires with a multimeter attached to the wife's XJ and blow something expensive.

Right now I am working out an issue with the overall backlighting. It looks fantastic, but the diffusion of the colors is not as nice as I would like them. A small hurdle, I am sure.

Sample being cut as I type, picture coming shortly.
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #117
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dark shots, taken in my office, hooked up to a power supply.

Naked:

Stock:

Layer 1:

Layer 2:

Surround:

Lens (kinda dusty):

And here you can see why they arent lined up just right and why I sent of a cut sample this morning... ugg. To cut this material right, it takes 4 light cuts, right on top of each other. Sometimes it works, most times it does this. Sucks, because there is material and printing down the drain New machine we are looking at can do it in 1 pass.

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #118
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Have you tried NAXJA? I generally find more in-depth tech over there...

Gauges are looking good! Can't wait for them to be available.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #119
ibjeepin95
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend

Have you tried NAXJA? I generally find tech over there....
Lawl, fixed it for ya...
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #120
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Check engine light color is set to what it is set to. There is a special diffuser lens that needs to be removed / modified that sits behind the faceplate.

Yes. Right now, dont have the pigtails to be able to do that. What I have found is that a TJ pinout is different (although same cluster) than an XJ, and the idiot light versions are different too. No luck so far, although I can get the idiot light cluster to go though a diagnostic, but no luck with the needles. I fear I need an ECU to be able to run the full diagnostic test for the cluster. That is a bit out of my price range. And I dont want to hit the wrong wires with a multimeter attached to the wife's XJ and blow something expensive.

Right now I am working out an issue with the overall backlighting. It looks fantastic, but the diffusion of the colors is not as nice as I would like them. A small hurdle, I am sure.

Sample being cut as I type, picture coming shortly.
What you need to figure out I guess is first which pins go to which needles and then figure out whether they run off of amperage gain wattage gain or voltage gain. Then figure out whether you can find a way to make a machine that does the same (I would assume that a dimmer switch may work???)

I may be able to get you an ECU on the cheap but I'll have to see about that one.

Quote:
Dark shots, taken in my office, hooked up to a power supply.

Layer 2:

And here you can see why they arent lined up just right and why I sent of a cut sample this morning... ugg. To cut this material right, it takes 4 light cuts, right on top of each other. Sometimes it works, most times it does this. Sucks, because there is material and printing down the drain New machine we are looking at can do it in 1 pass.
REALLY REALLY liking the carbon fiber (or whatever it is) pattern. It's just that final touch you needed. Now I am DEFINITELY in for getting one. Can't wait to see what other patterns you come out with
Built Not Bought #666

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.