making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille

Unread 01-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #91
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post
Yeah not entirely sure how these work look with LEDs behind them unless they were white LEDs.

I have the best idea for a custom one now, I'd do a mock up but I'm at work.

This:

Resized and put where the turn indicators and high beams are (is that legal?)
If so, when you turn the little cherokees sides will light up and when your high beams are on the grill will light up.
badass. except that looks like a ZJ....

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #92
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
As far as cutting, How bad would it be for the purchaser to cut them? do they have to be exact or is it some kind of super strong sheet (or both)? I feel like an exacto knife may do if you could sell them a bit cheaper still uncut...
This stuff is hard to cut. By hand, and get it to fit right (ther are protrusions at the 2 large gauges and nubs up top that have to be aligned just right) and not look butchered, and take over an hour for each, I need to CNC cut them. ChryCo had it easy, they had a machine doing nothing but chopping, printing and assembling these things. the material needs to be semi-translucent as well as able to stand up to some heat from the lights and just the dash in general. And retain the ink so it does not fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post
Yeah not entirely sure how these work look with LEDs behind them unless they were white LEDs.

I have the best idea for a custom one now, I'd do a mock up but I'm at work.

This:

Resized and put where the turn indicators and high beams are (is that legal?)
If so, when you turn the little cherokees sides will light up and when your high beams are on the grill will light up.
Thats a spiffy design. Is it yours? maybe we can work something out if so. As for replacing the indicators, I would rather not.

And LEDs will work behind this. For most of it anyhow. The stock gauges have some spots that have their own colored lenses, see the first page. The rest of the color scheme is actually sandwiched in the stock cluster overlay, which these will replace with a bi-layer printed insert. (the other issue with ctting these by hand, both layers need to line up)

As my buddy Glenn Palmer says, do it right, or dont bother.
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #93
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's not I just remembered that design being on the web, I could make something (more squared and XJish) on photoshop tonight or tomorrow, when I do I'll post it here (and probably PM you a higher res copy). Any specific reason as to why not, or does it just test the bound of legality and probably difficultly as I imagine getting it to line up just right would be a nightmare.

Yeah, although these being cheaper by cutting them yourself is a nice idea, I could see tons of people getting pissy when things don't line up and then decide to blame you for it because they didn't take the time to do it correctly.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #94
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I wont use someone else's design without their permission. Parody is one thing, that's a copy write violation.

I can see more people cutting themselves with a hobby knife trying to do these. Its hard enough when I have a machine do most of the work, get into the grooves and such, and its not easy to do and look right. I think the install is hard enough as is, and for that reason I am contemplating doing an installation service where people can send their whole gauge set in and I do the work.
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #95
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hence why I said I'd make you something that you can use without worry.

That wouldn't be bad, though I don't know if most people would want to spend the extra money to do it. As I'm sure shipping costs would make it counter-productive.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #96
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

You would be amazed at how non-technical some people are. Its worth it even for me to just ship it off to get done, like exhaust work.

Anyhow, on the progress of the development: Got a new material sample coming in from HP. The proper material is expensive per roll, and I wanted to see what their offering is like. I am not expecting that in any time soon. Also have a new cutting machine company with some contact to them to see if they have a demo unit around.

A few people asked if I could do a kickstarter type thing for these... Im not much for taking pre-orders. I like to give a person something for their money more than an IOU. Especiually not until I have a few units out to get feedback.
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #97
jimmy21669
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribing so I know when they are ready....
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #98
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I wont use someone else's design without their permission. Parody is one thing, that's a copy write violation.

I can see more people cutting themselves with a hobby knife trying to do these. Its hard enough when I have a machine do most of the work, get into the grooves and such, and its not easy to do and look right. I think the install is hard enough as is, and for that reason I am contemplating doing an installation service where people can send their whole gauge set in and I do the work.
I think I may have asked before... for those of us who want to do our own designs, could you give us the files and let us edit them? (What program do you use, Illustrator?)Or better yet make a flash game on the website where anyone can design their own! Hahaha...

I understand why you wouldn't do this though with all the possibility of someone stealing and printing your exact design.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #99
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think I may have asked before... for those of us who want to do our own designs, could you give us the files and let us edit them? (What program do you use, Illustrator?)Or better yet make a flash game on the website where anyone can design their own! Hahaha...

I understand why you wouldn't do this though with all the possibility of someone stealing and printing your exact design.

Sent from under my Jeep.
In a word, no. many hours of work would end up being sold on ebay printed on cardboard... I try to take pride in my designs, and tweak them within reasonable limits.

If someone does one that looks horrible, it reflects on me and ADW. At least if someone doesn't like my designs, that's my fault And for the record, I use a mix of Photoshop, CorelDRAW, CAD (cardboard aided design), and a few other programs.
Unread 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #100
BlueBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy
Never had that request. Shoot me an email at azzyscustoms@verizon.net and we can work out the details.
Will do thanks man.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #101
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

In a word, no. many hours of work would end up being sold on ebay printed on cardboard... I try to take pride in my designs, and tweak them within reasonable limits.

If someone does one that looks horrible, it reflects on me and ADW. At least if someone doesn't like my designs, that's my fault And for the record, I use a mix of Photoshop, CorelDRAW, CAD (cardboard aided design), and a few other programs.
So you don't use vector images for any of it? Or is that corelDRAW? Never heard of that program...

And that's what I figured. But I also figured it might be worth asking.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #102
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So you don't use vector images for any of it? Or is that corelDRAW? Never heard of that program...

And that's what I figured. But I also figured it might be worth asking.

Sent from under my Jeep.
Yes, Corel Draw is a vector program used a lot in the sign industry*. It is somewhat like Illustrator, only you don't need a full college course in it to get moving along.

*If you are interested in more of my work, take a walk around the Library of Congress, or a VA Hospital... or quite a few other hospitals around the coutry. There are thousands of maps out there that direct you how to get one place or another. The company Ive been at for the past decade (man, I'm old) does a lot of design projects. www.signplanning.com
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #103
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes, Corel Draw is a vector program used a lot in the sign industry*. It is somewhat like Illustrator, only you don't need a full college course in it to get moving along.

*If you are interested in more of my work, take a walk around the Library of Congress, or a VA Hospital... or quite a few other hospitals around the coutry. There are thousands of maps out there that direct you how to get one place or another. The company Ive been at for the past decade (man, I'm old) does a lot of design projects. www.signplanning.com
I took 4 high school courses in Illustrator and PS and still only understand the basics of illustrator and only slightly advanced stuff on PS.
Built Not Bought #666
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #104
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good news, got a sample file heading to a company that makes die cutters, make sure their machines can cut these. May have lucked out on a free roll of material to work with from another company.

(And spent 3 hours on the phone dealing with HP support, getting batted around just to find an account number)
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #105
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBadger View Post
Checked out the link looks great. One question though. Can I get the ore 97 background in the black like you just showed?
So I was playing around with some background colors and patterns... See where this is going? Hint, it looks a ton better on the newer gauges, but not bad on these ones.

I'm coaxing our cutter to work with this new HP material and have some samples running through now. The pre-97 models cut out in about a minute. the 97-01 one are running about 20 minutes a pair on this machine, as it runs slow and needs to cut each one 4 times. (we do 2 on a sheet)
20130122_000709.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.