making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Could i print a full colored version? Yes. It would be a bit more design work to make a usable and functional piece, and if someone whated to pay for a custom run or I had a set of orders for them I would be in for the design, printing and testing.

As for the indicators, those are set by the color of the underlying lens... that lays under the gauge set. I know i had promised a photo, but have been busy with some new responsibilities. Will try to get a pic up tonight to explain, going to be in the office late.

I have a loaner TJ cluster on the way to test and demonstrate these, as well as build the back plate. Hope to have it Saturday.
the warning lights i don't really care i'll change them if i really want... as for making it full color i was thinking using a different colored plastic to print onto... i don't know if that would actually work though cause it may not let enough light through.... I will say though, i will pay to get what i want. within reason of course. i'm not afraid to shell out a little extra cash for a custom one of a kind dash

KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #32
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, the nice thing about printing everything is choosing the color of the plastic. Once I have the base down, we can work out a custom setup.

Oh, and as promised:
dsc_3940a.jpg  
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #33
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

These are coming along very nicely. Good work. One question though, and please forgive me if you have already answered it in some manner and I missed it. Just for my clarification, could you make these with a black background (like stock) but with white gauge circles? So a finished product similar to the way your 96 and older gauges look installed?

Just moved to Duncannon, PA. Looking for some wheeling buddies/trails.
SGT_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #34
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I could. It gets tricky, because the large areas of black printing are delicate and "smudge" easy. Not so much ink smudging, but they dont hold up to handling and keep one solid luster. I could over-laminate them, but not sure if my machine could handle that cut, as it has a hard time with those laminated stickers (ones in the photo above) as the laminate is pretty tough in its own right.

If I did offer it, it would be in the second run.
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
SGT_Jeep
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If I did offer it, it would be in the second run.
Good to know. I would probably wait until that run to purchase. Understandable if it costs a bit more.

Just moved to Duncannon, PA. Looking for some wheeling buddies/trails.
SGT_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #36
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hows things going so far? Do you have an estimated release date?
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ahh f**k it. just mold a whole new thing outta plastic and sell it to me

really though... that picture helped. i thought you were saying that the light itsself was red/yellow not the plastic over it. the only thing i would like to do is make them all red... the orange ones can be kinda blinding at night. the idea of the black one with the white circles is nice but if it would smear i wouldn't be able to deal with looking at that. i'll have to see a tach installed with the all white back... you know what would be really cool? to do custom pictures on the background. sorry i'm not asking for this stuff i am just throwing out ideas for you...
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #38
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

IN the works. As for ETA, im going to be away on some personal buisness for about a week, so its on hold till then. Sorry guys (and gals) the paying job and whatnot keeps me a tad behind on designs.
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #39
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Some progress... this is what the sides of the newer gauges look like:
gauge-front-back.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #40
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
that is the stock gauge cluster right? what in the world is that on the bottom piece?
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #41
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think that's a 97-01 Cherokee Gauge Face. Here's mine, I have a 1999.

Unread 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #42
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy

I think that face might be out of a TJ of the same year range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #43
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking..
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #44
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glavus View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking..
I work at a local shop installing trailer hitches and and roof racks and such and I remember being surprised the first time I got into a 2000 (I think) TJ to pull it into the shop because I thought the gauge clusters were the same as an XJ.

I guess it really doesn't matter because the layout is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #45
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glavus View Post
I don't think that's a 97-01 Cherokee Gauge Face. Here's mine, I have a 1999.

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
that is the stock gauge cluster right? what in the world is that on the bottom piece?
The TJ is not exactly the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post

Yep.. the gauge portion is the same, as are the lights. This one I believe is from a 98.

My progress has been slow this week. Other than my normal 9-5(or 10) gig, Ive been working on doing design work for a charity to benefit a friend who's daughter is undergoing a kidney transplant, and then also I've been asked to be a regional coordinator for Firearms Owners Against Crime.

Once im not putting in super late nights at the office, i will have a lot more time to devote to finishing these and getting the design to 100%. Its at about 80% right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.