making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97)

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How'd you get the odometer to show up blue? I thought those were sealed and you couldn't change the color on those LEDs without breaking it all apart (or is that what you did)? Or does their color come from the overlay? In any case, looks good, I'm looking forward to seeing the tach version!

donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

not a fan of the gas gauge placement, nor the fact that the temp and oil pressure gauges don't have temp and pressure numbers.

looks good, but I may just run aftermarket sunpro everything.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend View Post
How'd you get the odometer to show up blue? I thought those were sealed and you couldn't change the color on those LEDs without breaking it all apart (or is that what you did)? Or does their color come from the overlay? In any case, looks good, I'm looking forward to seeing the tach version!
Because the color is set by the stock black background layer. I dont go over it like most of the setups, I replace it. So, when printed, it allows either the back lighting to set the color, or the printing to set the color (which I prefer) of the gauges. The warning lights are built in along with the signals, they are always that color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black View Post
not a fan of the gas gauge placement, nor the fact that the temp and oil pressure gauges don't have temp and pressure numbers.

looks good, but I may just run aftermarket sunpro everything.
Not a fan of it either, but thank Chrysler for that one, that's their design on this style of gauge with just the lights. The one you are looking for will be posted later this week.
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Because the color is set by the stock black background layer. I dont go over it like most of the setups, I replace it. So, when printed, it allows either the back lighting to set the color, or the printing to set the color (which I prefer) of the gauges. The warning lights are built in along with the signals, they are always that color.
Interesting, didn't realize that the gauge overlay set the color of the odometer, I always thought it was somehow tied into the LCD panel itself. So with your overlays, putting colored LEDs in (red for example) will not work very well since you try to set the color with the overlay?

Just realized I keep saying overlay which is really not what you are making here, I understand that you are making a complete replacement gauge face.
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

That is correct. The lights under are standard white. When i get back to home base 9at the office) I'll snap a pic of the gauge cluster with no face. If you look at the stock overlay, in teh first post, you can see the colored and blacked out places on the rear, that sets the color of the numbers.

On my sets, the blue is printed. I can print other colors, but would rather not print red because it takes away from the nature of the color, as a warning indicator. Goes against everything Ive learned in my professional life in designing things that help guide people
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
On my sets, the blue is printed. I can print other colors, but would rather not print red because it takes away from the nature of the color, as a warning indicator. Goes against everything Ive learned in my professional life in designing things that help guide people
This makes a lot of sense, although for me the color of the warning is irrelevant in this application, where merely having a certain light turned on should indicate to the user a serious problem. And if that warning light turned on, it means that somehow I missed what one of my gauges was already telling me. I like the red LEDs because they are brighter than the boring stock green that just seems dull but don't blind me like I think white/blue LEDs would ( I really should test that theory myself because obviously people run white leds and like them, but their pictures always seem too bright to me).

Would it be feasible for you to offer a colorless gauge face so the end user would be able to pick their color with backlights? You could still set the color of the indicator lights on the face, but this way the gauges themselves are lit in the color of the end users choice?

Ok just went back and re-read some of your posts. You said you can have the color set when you print the faces, or by backlight color, but you prefer to set it with printing. I'm curious why? It seems to me that allowing the end user to just pick their own backlight color would allow more flexibility to the end user while you only have to produce one product?

Sorry for the long post, and I hope you don't take any of this negatively. It looks like you are producing a high quality product and taking your time to make sure you get it right, which is great. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions and comments people have had
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthelegend View Post
This makes a lot of sense, although for me the color of the warning is irrelevant in this application, where merely having a certain light turned on should indicate to the user a serious problem. And if that warning light turned on, it means that somehow I missed what one of my gauges was already telling me. I like the red LEDs because they are brighter than the boring stock green that just seems dull but don't blind me like I think white/blue LEDs would ( I really should test that theory myself because obviously people run white leds and like them, but their pictures always seem too bright to me).

Would it be feasible for you to offer a colorless gauge face so the end user would be able to pick their color with backlights? You could still set the color of the indicator lights on the face, but this way the gauges themselves are lit in the color of the end users choice?

Ok just went back and re-read some of your posts. You said you can have the color set when you print the faces, or by backlight color, but you prefer to set it with printing. I'm curious why? It seems to me that allowing the end user to just pick their own backlight color would allow more flexibility to the end user while you only have to produce one product?

Sorry for the long post, and I hope you don't take any of this negatively. It looks like you are producing a high quality product and taking your time to make sure you get it right, which is great. Thanks for taking the time to answer the questions and comments people have had
Yes, and no on the colorless. I offer my current ones with no color swipes for those who like plainer or more minimalistic designs. The hard thing is, in these clusters., is that the warning indicators and such are color controlled by the housing. Without some modding there, you are stuck with what you get.

It could be done, but Im wary on how good it would look. As much as I like LEDs, I dont believe they are well used in retrofitting a dash.
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes, and no on the colorless. I offer my current ones with no color swipes for those who like plainer or more minimalistic designs. The hard thing is, in these clusters., is that the warning indicators and such are color controlled by the housing. Without some modding there, you are stuck with what you get.

It could be done, but Im wary on how good it would look. As much as I like LEDs, I dont believe they are well used in retrofitting a dash.
I have some blue LEDs mixed with the light-bulbs in my dash, and I would like to replace the rest with ultra-violet LEDs, BUT... I will need to either paint on some UV colors so I can see them at night OR something like what you make with ultra-violet colors

(the dark spot is where steering wheel blocks light)
p1060006-blue-inside.jpg   p1050771-blue-leds-.jpg  
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

You are looking for a different cluster set, those are already created Check out the banner ad in my sig line, I can get you where you need to go.
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #25
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Getting close, I expect to have a prototype printed this evening for you guys Now i just need a newer style spare cluster so im not taking the wife's apart again and again. Anyone have a spare that wants a free white face?
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #26
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

For your consideration. I can photoshop an estimated look, waiting on an ebay auction to get a cluster for fitment and back plate development. (Red outline and circles are a cutline... something you would never see)
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #27
RIjon
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very cool. Nice work !

2008 Toyota Tundra RCSB Supercharged
1998 Cherokee Classic ..... work in progress
RIjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #28
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

For your consideration. I can photoshop an estimated look, waiting on an ebay auction to get a cluster for fitment and back plate development. (Red outline and circles are a cutline... something you would never see)
they look pretty nice. i would be happy to have something new... i have a couple questions though... will you be offering different colors for the face? I'm not a huge fan of the white (i actually kinda like the black that is stock). I'd like to see a dark green or blue one.. what about the back piece too? would that be available with different colors to make the lights different colors?
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
they look pretty nice. i would be happy to have something new... i have a couple questions though... will you be offering different colors for the face? I'm not a huge fan of the white (i actually kinda like the black that is stock). I'd like to see a dark green or blue one.. what about the back piece too? would that be available with different colors to make the lights different colors?
This should answer your question.

Quote:
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
Could i print a full colored version? Yes. It would be a bit more design work to make a usable and functional piece, and if someone whated to pay for a custom run or I had a set of orders for them I would be in for the design, printing and testing.

As for the indicators, those are set by the color of the underlying lens... that lays under the gauge set. I know i had promised a photo, but have been busy with some new responsibilities. Will try to get a pic up tonight to explain, going to be in the office late.

I have a loaner TJ cluster on the way to test and demonstrate these, as well as build the back plate. Hope to have it Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.