making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97) - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > making new gauges for newer XJs (and anything else that runs a 4.0 after 97)

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 03-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #211
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses21 View Post
aw yea!
How bright they are on the outside edges... is that an effect of the camera or is that how they actually are? Those LEDs are ridiculous if so.

Sent from the icon of sin.

Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #212
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG8893 View Post
How bright they are on the outside edges... is that an effect of the camera or is that how they actually are? Those LEDs are ridiculous if so.

Sent from the icon of sin.
Its an effect of how the cluster takes and spreads out the points of light. Usually it picks up a bit of light, moves it along plastic with refraction, and then just lights up numbers.

I also guess its an effect of the camera setting up exposure for the night shot.
Unread 03-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #213
moses21
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post

Its an effect of how the cluster takes and spreads out the points of light. Usually it picks up a bit of light, moves it along plastic with refraction, and then just lights up numbers.

I also guess its an effect of the camera setting up exposure for the night shot.
Ya the picture makes them a lot more brighter than they are. They are brighter then What the stock gauges were but not blinding like they look in the picture.
moses21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #214
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I can t wait to see what DWatt's look like installed. Those plaid ones look odd, but good at the same time. Makes me want to do a set for the Mighty FC.
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #215
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There it is, in the mailbox, now to get it in the jeep. Pics of that later today.
forumrunner_20130313_090030.jpg  
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #216
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

And here we have them, all day shots of the install. Ill post night shots when its dark.
Alltogether install took 31 mins + 12 additional to chase the cat around room after she landed on edge of cluster n broke the tab off.
Night shots taken when it gets dark
forumrunner_20130315_132830.jpg   forumrunner_20130315_132850.jpg   forumrunner_20130315_132932.jpg   forumrunner_20130315_132951.jpg   forumrunner_20130315_133019.jpg  

forumrunner_20130315_133035.jpg  
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #217
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Night shots!
I think im going to have to go with a softer white OR a different type of 74 style LED, or go back to incandescents.
forumrunner_20130315_195148.jpg   forumrunner_20130315_195156.jpg   forumrunner_20130315_195207.jpg  
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #218
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ive found that the LEDs tend to spot further forward and create hot spots with these. I have thought about shipping a second diffuser for those who plan on using LEDs.
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #219
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I agree on the second diffuser for LED users. Cant tell on the green gauged LEDs, shots are lil too far away. Ive tipped mine with white glue in the past helps diffuse some, may do that with these.
But overall I am far more impressed with these gauges them all the other EL glow ones.
These should sell like hotcakes
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #220
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dwatts: Your second diffuser went out yesterday, and Ive already incorporated the changes you suggested into the CNC code.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #221
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

We are going to incorporate some of the changes suggested in the beta phase and try and get orders running after the 9th of April.

Why so late?

Because every year, I assist in the running of a Japanese Pop-Culture convention, Tekkoshocon. This year ADW has done the work for their T-Shirt and graphic design by incorporating the work from various artists. Convention runs the first weekend of April, after that we can take orders and get the whole shebang running.

Thanks for the patience everyone!
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #222
Jbat

Can't wait to see orders start going out, so hopefully you can start working on a ZJ panel.
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #223
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

We will be working on a complementing HVAC panel, so as to match your gauges. Then I will see what we can do for those panels on older Xjs... I have ideas. ZJ should not be too hard to do.

Im just getting back in the groove, have a few Renix cluster orders to get out the door tonight, and 1 custom order to tweak, and then I can start getting these rolling. Thinking I will take JF orders first, then roll out with general web and ebay sales. You guys have been pretty supportive of everything.
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #224
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Officially added to my inventory

In the order notes let me know if you are a JF user and I will make sure that yours gets to the top of the line.

http://www.azzysdesignworks.com/#!store/cn5v

Installation instruction video

[/B]FAQ

Q: What is diferent beween style 1 and 2?
A: Just graphics. Style 1 is based off our first and most popular sets, set 2 is a bit more of a refined cluster face.
Q:_Do I have to remove the needles?
A: Yes, in order to replace the stock gauge face, which block most of the light in the dash, the needles need to be removed. It is not an easy project, but not impossible either. See our video instructions on how to do it.
Q: Can I get a custom color or pattern?
A: Sure can. We would like to let you know that ADW will not use official licensed patterns, without permission of the original artist. An additional charge may be applied do to test printing and the time it takes to make sure all the colors work when printed. Email us for more info on this.
Q: Can I get custom text?
A: Yes, as long as it fits. Email us for more info on this.
Q: Are these just printed on paper?
A: See above, they are printed on plastic, over-laminated with a cold process to preserve color, and then fitted with layers of similar material and Mylar.
Q: Do they glow?
A: Not yet. We are working on that. However, they do catch more light than the stock gauges do, and are easier to see in low light situations.
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #225
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Curious, why did you put Check Gauge instead of Check Gauges? Which gauge are we supposed to check? :P Changing the car trunk to HATCH makes a lot more sense. I hate it when manufacturers over look little details like that.

Your Cherokee looks like mine with it being in a state of being torn apart for testing gauge clusters.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.