Lower ball joint lubrication - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lower ball joint lubrication

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lower ball joint lubrication

I'm putting front ball joints in. The right side lower is completly shot at 88K miles. At last years state inspection, the mechanic told me of it and while he showed me the movement, I thought it was just minor and I would get around to it (like over this past weekend) sometime. It is a flopper with no resistance. I don't know (think not from what I've heard) if a fitting has enough room and after initial lubing, it should be plugged. If so, has anyone gone though the exercise of pulling the brake/hub/axle on any periodic basis to put a fitting in and lubing it - and then putting it back together?

'96 Cherokee Country, Magnaflow cat and Borla exhaust, Hella 550's, Up Country suspension, Michelin MS 2's in 235x15 and Edelbrock IAS shocks. 91K orig. miles - the wife uses it ('cept when I borrow it to go huntin').
greenlawnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For me its to much of a pain to go through all of that just to hit two grease fittings. I have replaced ball joints twice so far but the second time I went with the good stuff.... XRF!

DO NOT GO WITH MOOGS, they are not at all what they used to be. I killed a set of moogs in 30k miles. They were installed properly and torqued correctly, they had a rediculous amount of slop in them in 2 years 30k miles. The XRF's I just installed looked like such a better quality joint then both the moogs and the spicers. As long as you didn't install some cheap *** autozone joints you should be fine, if you have the time and patience to do all that work to grease your lowers do it lol. The problem isn't so much greasing the joints its more so that they use a cheap weak teflon/plastic liner that cracks and loosens up inside the joint over time.

Its to bad these weren't available for us xj guys when I put my ball joints in -> http://www.synergysuspension.com/Syn...s-p-26182.html
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, I heard that Moog "isn't the same" so FWIW, I went with Raybestos "Professional" grade. I'll ask my state inspection mechanic tomorrow what his opinion is about lubing say every 15K miles. With the mileage we put on the vehicle, that would mean about every 2 years. I could live with that. But, then again, if I keep taking the axle shaft out, the seal would probably start leaking and then thats another job. Taking it apart isn't too bad as long as you don't have to get the BJ's out. I finally after figuring out how to use the AZ press and using a couple homemade pipe sleeves, pressed the left side joints in last night. I'll now move on to the passenger side. Thanks for the reply.
'96 Cherokee Country, Magnaflow cat and Borla exhaust, Hella 550's, Up Country suspension, Michelin MS 2's in 235x15 and Edelbrock IAS shocks. 91K orig. miles - the wife uses it ('cept when I borrow it to go huntin').
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wonder if you could replace them with those short style grease fittings, the ones you use that special adapter on the grease gun for. Not sure of the name of it but their really low profile and almost flat, still would be a pain getting to them though. I think if you shoot a bit of grease in them before you reassemble everythign they should be good for a while, what really kills them is big/heavy tires, rocks, and mud. Heavy backspaced wheels don't help either but it seems your running stock stuff so you should be good for a while!
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, there wasn't any room for the 90 degree fittings I had so I resorted to the plug. Plan now is to disassemble and re-lube periodically the LBJ. Yearly for me would mean 7500 miles so I plan to do it between that and no later than every 10K miles. It shouldn't take more than an hour for both sides IMO. I put the left side together and this weekend will do the other side plus the axle u-joint - I thought the axle u joint on the left side would never come out

ps. I had to make 2 other adapters for the AZ press kit out of piping cause the sleeves were no good to upper press in and for the final press out of the lower.
img_5052.jpg   img_5056-1.jpg   img_5057.jpg   img_5058-1.jpg   img_5059-1.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.