Lower arms with a bend?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lower arms with a bend??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNew Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition Coi

Unread 04-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lower arms with a bend??

IRO has adjustable lowers with the bend in them. So I was thinking of getting them with the uppers to go with a 3"-3.5" lift that I want to run.

What are your guys opinions on these? I assume they are better than the straight lowers and will offer better flex and ride. But again those are assumptions.

Thanks gents

Unread 04-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It depends on whether the band is side to side or up and down. If the bend is up and down it corrects the angle that they react to mimic the stock arms. If the bend is side to side to clearance for steering. I run the lowers with the bend up and down and love them. The longer arms will also help to recenter your front tire in the wheel well
Unread 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't know that there were side to side bend arms. But yes the lowers are up/down and the uppers would be straight.

How do you like the ride compared to straight all around S8NNG8?
Unread 04-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've had the chance to drive lifted XJ's of my buddies who retained the stock arms with a 3" lift, and it felt terrible compared to upper and lower adj. I have on mine. Mine is the gold 2dr, his is the yellow and black. Notice how far back his tire is compared to mine.
Unread 04-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you want better flex and decent road manner as well, get one end with a flex joint and regular rubber bushings for the axle end. If you flex out often with rubber bushings at both ends you can tweak the LCA mounts.

Shocks will make the biggest bang for the buck when it comes to suspension comfort. The cheap white hydro shocks that come with most basic lift kits are often the root cause of a harsh ride.
Unread 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Agony Wagon
Anti-Seizeaholic

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ View Post
What are your guys opinions on these? I assume they are better than the straight lowers and will offer better flex and ride. But again those are assumptions.
Getting different control arms will not improve your ride. If they are adjustable, it makes it easier to adjust them for proper handling. But it won't help with ride. Curved control arms also do not have any ride-comfort benefits over straight control arms. And they won't improve flex over straight arms, unless they resolve some sort of clearance issue.

Your ride quality is going to be affected by the performance of the shocks, the angle of the control arms, the angle of your rear shackles, and the stiffness of your tires.
Agony Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I don't see how these won't fix the ride or flex of the Cherokee. Maybe I'm not thinking of something and am wrong.

/ straight arms just seem more jarring on bumps. Compared to this _/ where it seems like it will articulate a ton better.
Unread 04-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

These are pics with stock arms and ones with a bend. I don't see how they will not give a better ride or flex etc etc one bit.
1429065520131.jpg  
1429065511098.jpg

Unread 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

AgonyWagon is not entirely correct, so don't take all of what he said to heart. The bend...let's start from the beginning...stock arms on stock suspension face straight forward, parallel to the ground. Their reflex reaction was designed around this. The bent arms reach downward from the body side mount roughly the height of your lift, then bend to be parallel to the ground reaching the rest of the way to the axle. This parallel position allows the bent arms to react more like the stock setup, improving ride quality over straight arms.
It's kinda odd that he would mention knowing that shackle angle is a factor, but not know that control arm angle makes a difference too.
Unread 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
AgonyWagon is not entirely correct, so don't take all of what he said to heart. The bend...let's start from the beginning...stock arms on stock suspension face straight forward, parallel to the ground. Their reflex reaction was designed around this. The bent arms reach downward from the body side mount roughly the height of your lift, then bend to be parallel to the ground reaching the rest of the way to the axle. This parallel position allows the bent arms to react more like the stock setup, improving ride quality over straight arms.
It's kinda odd that he would mention knowing that shackle angle is a factor, but not know that control arm angle makes a difference too.
What you said is not right, while everything AW said is.

The control arm shape has no bearing on ride quality. Doesnt matter if the arm is strait, angled as we are discussing, a W, Z, Q or any other shape you can dream of.

All that matters is where the ends are. At stock height, the LCA is parralel to the ground which results in a better ride than a Jeep on 4.5'' of lift where the LCA angle is closer to a 45* angle. Drop brackets are used to move the frame side mounts down, which will increase flex and reduce the jarring affect seen in the higher lifts on short arms.

The reason manufactures do the bent CA is to clear the LCA/ shock mount. At full droop with strait lowers you will often hit the shock mount, limiting your flex.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post

What you said is not right, while everything AW said is.

The control arm shape has no bearing on ride quality. Doesnt matter if the arm is strait, angled as we are discussing, a W, Z, Q or any other shape you can dream of.

All that matters is where the ends are. At stock height, the LCA is parralel to the ground which results in a better ride than a Jeep on 4.5'' of lift where the LCA angle is closer to a 45* angle. Drop brackets are used to move the frame side mounts down, which will increase flex and reduce the jarring affect seen in the higher lifts on short arms.

The reason manufactures do the bent CA is to clear the LCA/ shock mount. At full droop with strait lowers you will often hit the shock mount, limiting your flex.
Ya, let's never mind the fact that I drive mine with the bent arms everyday, and drive my buddies with straight arms about once a week, and I can feel an obvious difference.
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
Ekul310
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8
Ya, let's never mind the fact that I drive mine with the bent arms everyday, and drive my buddies with straight arms about once a week, and I can feel an obvious difference.
What you're feeling is a difference in control arm bushings/flex joints, shocks, and spring rates. The arms pivot based on their two attachment points. A control arm could be L or Z shaped and as long as the ends are the same distance apart, they will react the same. Do not think that the difference comes from the shape of the arm. Period. It is 110% wrong. Starboard and AgonyWagon are correct.
Unread 04-16-2015, 04:28 AM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I run drop brackets for comfort and never considered short arms beyond my 2" BB many years ago for the above stated reasons.

To further clarify the phenomenon, consider the relationship to the draglink and the trackbar. The trackbar is bent around the front diff, but it's the overall orientation of the pivot points, not their shape, that determine a good cycling steering system that is free of bump steer. Shape is not the determining factor.

Bent LCA's do have a sexy curve about them though.
Unread 04-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #14
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekul310 View Post
What you're feeling is a difference in control arm bushings/flex joints, shocks, and spring rates.
Well, I guess I owe an apology here for sounding argumentative. I hadn't factored all these into the equation. It just seemed to me like the straight arms were delivering a more direct blow to the body that was way more irritating than my setup.
Unread 04-16-2015, 11:07 AM   #15
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The bends are just there for a little extra clearance to prevent the arm from hitting the shock mount tab during droop (which can still occur if proper shock length/limiting straps aren't used.)

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.