Looking for my first Cherokee (daily driver mostly) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking for my first Cherokee (daily driver mostly)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 09-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
erea77

Looking for my first Cherokee (daily driver mostly)

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now, and finally decided to join and get in on the action.

I'm looking to buy my first Cherokee. It will mostly be a daily driver along with taking me mountain biking and snowboarding on the weekends.

I'm looking right now at the following:

1996 Cherokee Country with 4x4, A/C, power windows and locks, cruise control, and 180k miles on it.

The owner hasn't driven it for a couple of years and says it probably needs a tune up because it will stall when idling from time to time. Otherwise, he says it is in good condition. The interior is in fair condition but the front seats are torn up and need repair. The exterior looks great, although there does seem to be some rust underneath.

I'm going to take it down to get it inspected tomorrow. From what I've read on the forum, this is a good year but I wanted to get your insight on this particular model and specs if you have any.

Is this a good year/model for daily driving and weekend trips?

Any issues in particular I should look for when I get it inspected tomorrow?

Kelly Blue Book has the "fair" value at $2,164 and Edmunds has the "average" value at $1,059.

What price range do you think something like this should be in?

erea77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I daily drive my 96, and I trust it more than most other vehicles on the road around me. I'm also a mountain biker, and it'll get you where you need to go.

Vehicle-specific things to look for are floorpan rust, header crack, broken seal and/or rust around the windshield, and be very thorough and particular when looking over the cooling system. Other than rust, few problems are very expensive to fix (but he seller doesn't need to know that), but the more thorough you are, the better prepared you can be.

KBB is less than reliable when discussing older/niche vehicles, but I've always had a much lower than average regard for that "book." If you live anywhere that a reliable 4x4 is especially desired, you'll pay significantly more than you might in a warm, flat area. Around here, even beat-up XJs can go for over 4 or 5 thousand (though I think those people are idiots). I paid less than 3000 for mine with 108k miles in very good condition.

If you buy it, don't trust anything he PO says, and don't take chances--change all the fluids and give it a tune-up. It's all very easy and cheap to do, but is priceless.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1996 , cherokee , noob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.