Looking to get back over to this side of the forum, question about buying. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking to get back over to this side of the forum, question about buying.

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
MiZZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking to get back over to this side of the forum, question about buying.

Hey guys,
I love my WJ and I'm not selling it but I have no plan to lift it because my girl uses it more often than I do. I'm looking to get back into an XJ but want something that's priced well enough that I still have room for mods. I have been thinking about buying a YJ Wrangler but upon searching Jeeps I think I fell back in love with XJs again. I had an 89 XJ Chief ax15 2door and I miss it everyday! However, I'm looking to get into a 97+ body style this time.

I'm looking to buy something this week and I'm looking at three different XJs (99 and two 2001s) right now the only problem is that they all have just over 200k.. I work with boat engines everyday so I know what to look for as far as engine issues (not so educated on trans, t-case and rear end trouble signs though).

The one I'm most interested in is a 99 4 door auto with 201,xxx miles. It is in immaculate condition for the year and it comes with a 3 month/3k mile warranty which the others don't come with.

I know from personal experience that the 4.0 is great, I had a ZJ that ran great with 265k miles when I sold it, My WJ has 150k on it and runs great. I guess my main question is, would YOU buy an xj with over 200k for a daily driver? Especially one with a warranty? They are all in the $2,000 range, which would leave me plenty of room for mods without digging into my savings.

Mike

Ocean State Jeepsters
MiZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZZ View Post
The one I'm most interested in is a 99 4 door auto with 201,xxx miles. It is in immaculate condition for the year and it comes with a 3 month/3k mile warranty which the others don't come with.

I know from personal experience that the 4.0 is great, I had a ZJ that ran great with 265k miles when I sold it, My WJ has 150k on it and runs great. I guess my main question is, would YOU buy an xj with over 200k for a daily driver? Especially one with a warranty? They are all in the $2,000 range, which would leave me plenty of room for mods without digging into my savings.
00-01 can have the 0331 which is prone to cracking.

200k miles isn't a big deal for these motors as long as they're properly maintained. My 88 had 380k on it when I sold it and it ran like it was brand new. There's a guy out in CO if I remember right, that has an 88 or 87 with 600k+ on it that's never had any major motor or transmission work done to it.

$2000ish with a warranty is a good deal assuming it's been treated well.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
MiZZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your reply.

I got the years mixed up the one with warranty is actually a 2001. Prone to cracking has me afraid. How can I check if it's the 0331? Simple as a vin letter or do I need to dig into the engine bay? I remember him saying something about an engine swap let me text him & ask.

Thanks again,
Mike

Ocean State Jeepsters
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
MiZZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

He said that the engine itself has 140k and is from a 1999, utilizing the 2001 wiring and coils. While there's no way to confirm mileage, is there any way I can confirm it's a 99 motor without ripping it open?

He has no paperwork for the motor swap.

Ocean State Jeepsters
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Look between injectors 3 & 4 under the tinfoil heat shield
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
MiZZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What am I looking for?

Ocean State Jeepsters
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
He said that the engine itself has 140k and is from a 1999, utilizing the 2001 wiring and coils. While there's no way to confirm mileage, is there any way I can confirm it's a 99 motor without ripping it open?

He has no paperwork for the motor swap.
Quote:
What am I looking for?
4 stamped numbers letters on the cylinder head. 0331 is the casting number for the bad head. 96-99 casting should have 0630 stamped on it.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.