Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking for a Cherokee for my teenager son

1K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  bluejunior 
#1 ·
I am familiar with Jeeps, I have owned several Jeeps in my entire life. 1968 Wagoneer, '86 Cherokee, 2004 Wrangler (heavy modified) and the current vehicle: 2000 Grand Cherokee.

Now, my 16 years old son wants to have a Cherokee. Good, I'm happy that he wants a Jeep, not a Honda or Volkswagen.

So, I'd like to have a 2001 Cherokee for my son. No modifications at all, just a regular Cherokee with stock wheels (reason: lower COG and better fuel economy and easier on my wallet).

I am concerned about the 4.0 liter engine, the head casting is probably too thin and doesn't have a TUPY stamped on it. Does 2001 model year have a beefy engine head?

And what else should I look out for?

THanks!

#2 ·
The original 2000-01 XJ Cherokee 0331 heads are not TUPY. Most 0331 heads are OK, and will be OK. In my opinion, while the 0331 head is more prone to cracking than other 4.0L heads, most 0331 head failures are from abuse, and neglect of routine cooling system maintenance. If you find a nice 2000-01 buy it, you can always install a used TUPY 0331 head with simple hand tools.

Rust is an issue in snowy/road salt states, but otherwise the XJ is easy to care for, and dependable.

#3 ·
I own a '00. With a 0331 head. Best I can tell it is fine. No idea if it was replaced at some point in time though. Bought the Jeep cheap as a minor fixer upper. If you weren't in CA I would say don't rule out an '00 and '01 but look for a Federal Emissions '99 instead. Reason is my understanding is that most '00's, mine is but live in CT, are CA Emissions and all '01's are too. But since you do live in CA don't rule out the '01, just cause of the head, you are considering and use the head as a bargaining chip on the price. My thinking is that a good body, glass, and interior are key. While anything can be fixed if you are willing to pay for it, for people with just basic skills, such as myself, mechanical is easier to deal with.

#4 ·
There was a nice Anniversary model for sale nearby but now gone. Looked clean without the AZ sunburn & only 117K miles on it. Ask on it was $5K or thereabouts. If your son is in California then you will have to have the required emission package which may be different than the other states. Quite a few on Craig's List.

#5 ·
The '01 XJ 4.0 does NOT have the fixed TUPY head. However, with basic maintenance I've never found the 0331 to be an issue. I've driven 2 '01s, and helped maintain at least one other without encountering the problem, and I abuse my vehicles honestly. I put 80,000 on my first XJ (it started at 89k) and I've put 65k on this one.

Make sure there's no signs of an existing crack when you buy it, do a cooling system flush and replace any needed parts as part of the initial round of maintenance and make a cooling system flush and inspection a 2-year maintenance item and you'll be fine.

The only cracked 0331 I've ever seen in person hadn't been flushed once in its 170,000 mile life, the head was so clogged that literal chunks compacted into the shape of the coolant channels came out when it finally got a flush.

I generally tell anyone shopping at this point to be prepared to put $500-700 in ignored maintenance into a new to them XJ. That's fluid changes, steering and cooling for the lion's share with little things like bushings throughout and maybe a couple of seals adding up to the rest.

#8 ·
Why do you suggest 1998-1999? Why not 2001?

Edit: Oh, isn't that because 2000-2001 have some cracked heads? I don't mind replace it by myself since someone said "stupid easy to replace". I'm sort-of a "shadetree mechanic", I shouldn't have a problem to replace it by myself.

#7 ·
Wow, lots of excellent advice from you, the XJ experts!! THANKS so much. Yes, I'm in California and yes, I will have to buy a California XJ. I've seen several XJs on Craiglist, almost all of them are lifted with big tires. It'll be a challenge for me to find one that is in stock and low mileage. I am hoping to buy one sometime in late August or early September, before my son's school will start his junior year.

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0L, it had a bad head (cracked), it "eats" up the coolant. I had to fill it up the reservoir tank every month or so. I bought a new header from Clearwater Cylinder (new, thick casting) and hired a mechanic to install it for me. After driving my Jeep for 20,000 miles with a new head, I don't have a single problem with Clearwater Cylinder head. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one from Clearwater for my son's Jeep, if it needs a new head.

I love my sixteen year old Grand Cherokee. In 2007, I bought a Bimmer and after seven years of driving it...it become unreliable (leaking evaporator, caked-up intake ports, bad fuel injectors, etc). I realized and amazed to learn that my old Jeep is much more reliable than BMW. I sold my Bimmer and bought a Mercedes. It's fun to drive a Mercedes and Jeep, but I felt much more comfortable driving in a Jeep. Last year, I drove my Jeep from Southern California to Northern Colorado for my grad school studies then drove it back, my Jeep didn't let me down!! (I left Greeley, Colorado at 2 PM and arrived in Riverside, CA next day at 5:30 PM, with one night sleep in Gallup, NM).

Anyway, I am assuming that the XJ is as reliable as my WJ, I hope so?

Again, thanks for your excellent advice.

#10 ·
When I was looking for an xj I narrowed it down to a 99 and it took me 6 months to find a low mileage one that wasnt rusted out and at least slightly maintained. There are plenty of 01s out here but why would you specifically want one that arguably isn't as good overall? These jeeps are climbing in value on long Island. I don't know about there, but here it's not uncommon to see a 220k 2000 sell for 4k. I got mine for much less with half the miles but had to see over 2 dozen jeeps, and drive 300 miles away to get this one. And now the rear freeze plug on the head might be leaking so i'm looking at pulling the head anyways. Moral of the story, check everything lol

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Buy a 99.
•*2 less $79 02 sensors to buy when they go bad
•*Less heat soak on the fuel system without the two stupid upstream Cats the 00-01 has.
•*99 has low pinion axles for less vibes after a lift
•*I had an 00 and an 01. Both cracked heads, My wife's 118k mile Jeep was the worst of the two failures.

#14 ·
Sheesh, my teenager son wants a Wrangler instead of Cherokee. I will talk to him about that as soon as I get home from my graduate school (onsite summer session in Colorado).

I'm not sure if it's a good idea for my son to drive a Wrangler because it's a short wheel base (SWB). I think SWB is a bit dangerous, especially for an inexperienced driver. I have owned a TJ for two years (heavy modified) and it was kinda of scary to drive it at 75 mph on the freeway - what if the car suddenly jumps into my lane, in the front of me, I'd "panic" slam on the brakes and lose my control. I don't want that happen to my son if he drives a Wrangler, even if his Wrangler is in bone stock. I am thinking, maybe a wimpy four cylinder engine Wrangler might prevent my son from driving a bit too fast? I really don't know. I really wanted to buy him a car with an under-powered four cylinder engine, but he is insisting to have a Jeep.

Will keep you posted. Thanks.

#15 ·
A SWB is a bit dangerous, especially for an inexperienced driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.