Looking to buy an XJ: Help! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking to buy an XJ: Help!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #46
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I will probably do the sye. Is it true that i can likely use a front drive shaft in the rear with this set up?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That's what you do with the H-N-T. Not sure about full SYE. Never had one.
XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Skids are always nice. I would skip a front skid unless it is built into a bumper or something. Transfer case and gas tank skid are essential. Diff covers help also.

I would consider getting rocker guards if you are playing a lot on the rocks. Bend those and you will not be able to open the door where it is and its also support to the body surprisingly.

At 4.5 its a very tricky situation. I would read up about it on the Forum before you make your decision on a lift since most leave out some parts that are needed. Obviously need the coils and leafs to lift it. But you would also need new control arms, brake lines, SYE or Transfercase drop(which really lowers you clearance), sway bar links, Trac bar, bumpstops, and some other things that I cannot think of off the top of my head right now. Definitely do your research before getting a kit and going that high because at that height it gets complicated. An XJ is pretty much completely different than a JK, especially the steering since you mentioned it.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #49
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are there upgraded steering systems that I can get with a full length track bar? Not this XJ Y link?

What are good rocker guards to look into? I'm will to have some welded in if necessary.

I'm sure I could figure a lot of this out with time and research but I'm definitely on a tight schedule to get this thing rolling before the Topless for Tatas event at Rausch Creek.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #50
Muddy97Cherokee
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, there are a two options that I know of. There is the WJ knuckle swap and the One ton steering upgrade that has a full length Tie Rod but still uses the Y set up. The WJ knuckle swap turns the steering into a crossover set up like the JK. There are multiple ways to go about this mod. you could either buy the entire package from a dealer that will run you some serious cash or you can do it yourself for far less. I plan on doing the swap myself since I have driven in an XJ that has it and it is unbelievable how much of a difference it is. Pretty simple to do and requires some fab work. Seen some threads about the swap and every other one is different.

Any rocker guards are worth it, its just a styling preference and maybe thickness issue to look for. Plenty of dealers sell multiple styles of guards that all serve the same purpose.

Topless for Tatas sounds interesting!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/295467847240084/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Unibody Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[URL="http://okjeepers.com/"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Yellow"][FONT="Arial"]Oklahoma Jeepers[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

-Zack
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #51
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah man, Topless is a wheeling event to raise money for breast cancer research. 500 Jeeps this year. Pretty cool.

Unread 06-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #52
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Are there upgraded steering systems that I can get with a full length track bar? Not this XJ Y link?

What are good rocker guards to look into? I'm will to have some welded in if necessary.

I'm sure I could figure a lot of this out with time and research but I'm definitely on a tight schedule to get this thing rolling before the Topless for Tatas event at Rausch Creek.
If welding is an option buy yourself some 2x6x.25wall box steel. Cut the rockers out, have angle iron stitch and plug welded to the frame rails and and then weld the 2x6 in place of the rockers between the bottom of the unibody and the angle iron. Cheaper than sliders and significantly stronger. Depending on how you do it you may have to trim the doors a little though.

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...er-replacement

If you're having someone else weld do the prep yourself. Cut the rockers and steel yourself and take a flap disk to everything to get it prepped. Should save them the hassle and you a good bit of money. Welding is quick and easy, it's the prep thats a pain in the balls.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #53
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's a pretty extreme rocker set up. Love to see one done like that in person.

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #54
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That's a pretty extreme rocker set up. Love to see one done like that in person.

Cool thing is, you can hardly tell it's not stock if it's done halfway decent.

This one def requires door trimming, but it's the cleanest, coolest looking way I've seen it done.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/hig...ockers-142252/

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #55
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, that's very slick. Might be more than I'm willing to bite off right now but I'm bookmarking these write ups.

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #56
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quadratec's website only has a RE4.5 for Dana 35s. Where can I get what I need to make it work on a 8.25?

Unread 07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #57
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY
Also, I think there was something different with the t-case output on 99+ that made vibes worse when lifted? Anyone comment on that? You'll probably need a SYE or cheater (hack-n-tap?). Either that, or a tool box well stocked with spare universal joints.
The external slip yoke of 96+ is what I know of making lifts more vibe-prone. It's not uncommon to see people getting vibes with 3" or even 2" lifts. At 4.5" I'd definitely be planning to get a SYE.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #58
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just order some 3" u-bolts for the rear. I have the RE4.5 super flex kit on my XJ and i love it. It rides well and flexes even better. A SYE will be needed with the kit though. I use an extended length front DS from alifted ZJ as my rear DS and it works perfect. I have 35's that i will be mounting up this weekend, and with timming they will fit, make sure you bump stop properly or it will start costing you extra money.
Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #59
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quadratec's website only has a RE4.5 for Dana 35s. Where can I get what I need to make it work on a 8.25?

I've found Quadratec to be a decent place to shop, but not always the best place to buy, if you know what I mean. Their customer service is good, but it's not hard to look around and beat their prices.

Also, for steering components, I've been a big fan of Iron Rock's stuff. It's pretty stout. Plus, they're also a RE dealer.

Rusty's has a lot of XJ specific stuff too, but I've found their stuff to be hit and miss. I'm happy with their springs, but I got a defective shock from them (basically blown from the time I put it on the Jeep). No wheeling, just street driving. Called them. The long and short of it is they wanted me to buy a new shock and wait for reimbursement, and also pay $30 shipping on a $30 shock. So I bought Rancho's.
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #60
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY View Post
Also, for steering components, I've been a big fan of Iron Rock's stuff. It's pretty stout. Plus, they're also a RE dealer.
My bad, Iron Rock is a Rough Country dealer, not Rubicon Express

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.