Looking to buy again... 88 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking to buy again... 88 Cherokee

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
scottydl

Looking to buy again... 88 Cherokee

Joined here several years ago, while in the market for a used Cherokee. It was 2004 and I can't remember why I didn't buy the '85 I was looking at, but I'm back again!

Looking at an '88 4-door 4x4 Cherokee found in Craigslist, 127k miles, asking price $1100. Seems priced pretty low (or is it?) although seller says it needs new tires. $300-400 there. I have asked for detailed info on vehicle history and parts needing repair/replacement. Ad says 4x4, heat, and A/C all work, and it has "typical Jeep rust". Anything specific I should look for on this era Cherokee?

scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Xride

Drive it and you will tell a lot from it.
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
scottydl

Yep that's gonna happen in the next couple days. I'll make sure I try out everything, all speeds, all road surfaces.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome back, and props for even remembering your password after 9 years.
Not really enough info available to make a good hard call on what it's worth. Around here the winters really cut into longevity and most don't make it to their 25th birthday. If it helps any, the last two XJ's I bought were a single-owner '88 with <100k miles; stock with a snow plow and needing some attention for extended neglect - for $500, plus a soccer mom '96 with <100k mile stock as stock can be for $2k. Both 2dr models with low rust.
If you happen to find a 91+ model, you'd get the HO motor with upgraded/less problematic electrical and sensors systems.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.