Looking for advice on what to do to toughen up My XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking for advice on what to do to toughen up My XJ

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
BGDG280
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Looking for advice on what to do to toughen up My XJ

I have a 91 with a 4.5" lift, 34 x 10.5 Swampers. 8.5 rear. 5spd 3:73 to 1 gears now.

Here is what I have planned; weld the rear diff, possibly swap in a 96 rear diff IF it has the 29 spline axles, swapping in the 96 front diff to get the bigger joints and eliminate the goofy split axle dana 30 lol.

I'm going to have about $1500.00 to spend on this Jeep, I am going to cage it, so there is some expense in pipe.

So with the remaining $1200-1300.00, what do you all think is a good way to go to make this rig as tough as possible so I can be more aggressive off roading?

Mostly trails, but I'd like to do some medium level rock crawling as well.

Unread 03-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ford 8.8 rear +hi pinion d30, fab up some bumpers , Winch, frame stiffeners, rocker guards, then a cage made out of TUBING; in that order
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
BGDG280
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you Hussler for your advice.

I should have been more clear.

I have warn bumpers front and rear, I bought a 12,000lb winch for it, I was going cut the rest of the rusted rockers out and build skid bars and tie them and the roll cage into the "frame".

On the 8.8, is there really that significant of a difference between it and the 8.25 as far as strength goes? I dont see too many articles on people busting the 8.25s.

I'm installing the D30 out of a 96 Cherokee.

I'll be using electro-welded handrail tubing/piping for the cage, I've used it for years building cages that werent destined for certifications, it works great.
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

8.8 is almost twice as strong as the 8.25 and you get disc brakes.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDG280 View Post
I have warn bumpers front and rear, I bought a 12,000lb winch for it, I was going cut the rest of the rusted rockers out and build skid bars and tie them and the roll cage into the "frame".
I have my skid bars made, recently bought the bender for the cage. Plate your frame, i think I used AJs stiffeners

Quote:
On the 8.8, is there really that significant of a difference between it and the 8.25 as far as strength goes? I dont see too many articles on people busting the 8.25s.
I think the 8.25 is a fine axle that can stand up to 35"s well, but if your going through the trouble might as well go for the golden child of the narrow wheel base group. 8.8 is stronger in every way and has better after market support

Quote:
I'll be using electro-welded handrail tubing/piping for the cage, I've used it for years building cages that werent destined for certifications, it works great.
I'm spending the extra $ for the chromoly, only have to build this cage once, might as well go for the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.