Looking for advice on what to do to toughen up My XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking for advice on what to do to toughen up My XJ

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Reply
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
BGDG280
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornville, Ohio, Ohio
Posts: 284
Looking for advice on what to do to toughen up My XJ

I have a 91 with a 4.5" lift, 34 x 10.5 Swampers. 8.5 rear. 5spd 3:73 to 1 gears now.

Here is what I have planned; weld the rear diff, possibly swap in a 96 rear diff IF it has the 29 spline axles, swapping in the 96 front diff to get the bigger joints and eliminate the goofy split axle dana 30 lol.

I'm going to have about $1500.00 to spend on this Jeep, I am going to cage it, so there is some expense in pipe.

So with the remaining $1200-1300.00, what do you all think is a good way to go to make this rig as tough as possible so I can be more aggressive off roading?

Mostly trails, but I'd like to do some medium level rock crawling as well.

__________________
91 XJ, Yellow, Dirty ALOT, 34 x 10.50 x 15 Super Swampers. Looking for Trails and Off Road fun!
95 XJ 2 Door 5 spd, 2" lift, 31 x 11.50 x 15 Super Swampers....this thing is a bada** for being nearly stock!
BGDG280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Hussler
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utica, new york
Posts: 5,288
ford 8.8 rear +hi pinion d30, fab up some bumpers , Winch, frame stiffeners, rocker guards, then a cage made out of TUBING; in that order
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Sometimes a restoration project is a labor of love, at which point cost, time, and labor involved become irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
BGDG280
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thornville, Ohio, Ohio
Posts: 284
Thank you Hussler for your advice.

I should have been more clear.

I have warn bumpers front and rear, I bought a 12,000lb winch for it, I was going cut the rest of the rusted rockers out and build skid bars and tie them and the roll cage into the "frame".

On the 8.8, is there really that significant of a difference between it and the 8.25 as far as strength goes? I dont see too many articles on people busting the 8.25s.

I'm installing the D30 out of a 96 Cherokee.

I'll be using electro-welded handrail tubing/piping for the cage, I've used it for years building cages that werent destined for certifications, it works great.
__________________
91 XJ, Yellow, Dirty ALOT, 34 x 10.50 x 15 Super Swampers. Looking for Trails and Off Road fun!
95 XJ 2 Door 5 spd, 2" lift, 31 x 11.50 x 15 Super Swampers....this thing is a bada** for being nearly stock!
BGDG280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Motorcharge
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 11,752
8.8 is almost twice as strong as the 8.25 and you get disc brakes.
__________________
|Project Motörcharge | XJ Non-Tech FAQ | Ammo Can Lock Box | Motorcycle Build|

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Hussler
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: utica, new york
Posts: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDG280 View Post
I have warn bumpers front and rear, I bought a 12,000lb winch for it, I was going cut the rest of the rusted rockers out and build skid bars and tie them and the roll cage into the "frame".
I have my skid bars made, recently bought the bender for the cage. Plate your frame, i think I used AJs stiffeners

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDG280 View Post
On the 8.8, is there really that significant of a difference between it and the 8.25 as far as strength goes? I dont see too many articles on people busting the 8.25s.
I think the 8.25 is a fine axle that can stand up to 35"s well, but if your going through the trouble might as well go for the golden child of the narrow wheel base group. 8.8 is stronger in every way and has better after market support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDG280 View Post
I'll be using electro-welded handrail tubing/piping for the cage, I've used it for years building cages that werent destined for certifications, it works great.
I'm spending the extra $ for the chromoly, only have to build this cage once, might as well go for the best
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Sometimes a restoration project is a labor of love, at which point cost, time, and labor involved become irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.