Looking for advice on axles... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking for advice on axles...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCHASSIS SAVER™ Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!

Unread Today, 12:37 PM   #1
nocojeep
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Looking for advice on axles...

Hi all
I have a 90 XJ with 4.0L and AW4. D30 non-disconnect front and D35 rear. I'm wanting to do a 4.5 inch lift and 32's soon, and wanted to get to 4.10 gears at the same time. I have been scouring junkyards for a set of axles out of a 4 cylinder XJ for 4.10 gears, but haven't come up with anything yet. So I found a set of axles on craiglist last night. D30 low pinion with 4.10 gears but needs brakes. D35 rear with 4.10, ARB locker, and disc brakes. He is asking $275 each or $500 for both. Not really interested in the front, since I already have a high pinion non-disconnect, and I could regear to 4.10 for want he wants for the axle, or hope I find a 4 cylinder front axle. Now I know the rear D35 is nothing to be proud of, but I figure that because it already has disc brakes, an ARB, and gears, with just 32" tires it would be ok for a few years until I put one tons under this thing. Especially if I could get that rear axle for $200-250. What do you guys think?

nocojeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:11 PM   #2
FredBull
F-ing A, Cotton

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Even though its a Dana35, and we all know it could blow up at any time, its not a bad deal. 32's should be just fine on it and the disk brakes are a nice touch. The ARB, even used, is worth more than what he is asking. I would go for it, figure out the front axle (regear or swap) and then have some fun with it before you upgrade to 1 tons.
FredBull is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:48 PM   #3
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Never thought I'd endorse a d35, but if you're running 32's and aren't nuts on the skinny pedal it should be okay. Keep your shafts from your old axle as spares. I mean...I would normally suggest an 8.25 or even an 8.8 but as an interim before going to ton's down the road $275 is a good deal on a bolt-on axle. Way less than you'd spend buying and regearing an 8.25 which wouldn't have the locker or discs, and less than buying and swapping in a 4.10 8.8 (unless you're a good welder in which case it's still close).

I say go for it, run it til you break it and go to tons later.
Unread Today, 03:40 PM   #4
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

I wouldn't waste the money on a D35 in general, much less one with a locker. It's beyond me why anyone would even waste the money to install a locker in a 35 in the first place. If you know enough to know you need a locker you should know enough to know how ****ty a D35 is.

Buy the front and find an 8.8 with 4.10 gears to match it. I can find them for $100 around here all day long and even if you can't weld you can always do the cutting/grinding first and get someone to weld the perches and shock mounts for you and it would still cost less than regearing an axle would. An 8.8 is stronger than an XJ 44 or 8.25, already has disc brakes, has a boatload of aftermarket support and tons of them came with 4.10 gears both open and limited slip. Look for one out of a 95-01 Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer. They're only slightly more narrow than stock XJ axles and come in a bunch of different gear setups. If you can look at the donor vehicle first look for 87, 89 (95-98 model years), or 97 for open diff 4.10s, or f7, k6, d7, or r7 for limited slip 4.10 on the door tag. Those are axle codes and will indicate which gear set is in the axle. IIRC D7 is the most common for Explorer 4.10 LSDs, some of those codes cross over with Ranger 8.8s.

As for the front, talk him down on it. The difference in strength isn't much and really not an issue running 32s. Brakes are inexpensive and swapping the axle in is a lot cheaper and easier than regearing.

Realistically though, if you want tons just save the money towards tons and don't waste your time and money until something breaks and becomes necessary. There's better upgrades out there for the money than swapping in a 35 that's pointlessly locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:54 PM   #5
nocojeep
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I guess I am kinda torn. I found out today that the front axle also needs hub assemblies along with the brakes (not hard work, but adds about $200). I have thought about doing an 8.8 swap, but if I am going to do that kind of fabrication, I only want to do it once and that will be in a few years when I go big on this thing with one tons. My goal right now is just to get it trail worthy enough to have a little fun, and it will be a city driver for a good part of the week too, so going big right now is not an option. I guess the axles are appealing because they are cheap and a direct bolt in. A D35 is the last axle on this earth that I want, but having an ARB 4.10s and discs for maybe $200 and keeping two of my old axle shafts for spares I guess sounds alright. Who knows I may even take the ARB out and sell it, come out on top of this deal?
Unread Today, 08:17 PM   #6
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocojeep View Post
Yeah I guess I am kinda torn. I found out today that the front axle also needs hub assemblies along with the brakes (not hard work, but adds about $200). I have thought about doing an 8.8 swap, but if I am going to do that kind of fabrication, I only want to do it once and that will be in a few years when I go big on this thing with one tons. My goal right now is just to get it trail worthy enough to have a little fun, and it will be a city driver for a good part of the week too, so going big right now is not an option. I guess the axles are appealing because they are cheap and a direct bolt in. A D35 is the last axle on this earth that I want, but having an ARB 4.10s and discs for maybe $200 and keeping two of my old axle shafts for spares I guess sounds alright. Who knows I may even take the ARB out and sell it, come out on top of this deal?
How big are you planning on going that you need tons?
Unread Today, 08:59 PM   #7
nocojeep
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
How big are you planning on going that you need tons?
Probably 38s, also want to be full width when it happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.