Looking 4 rear bumper ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Looking 4 rear bumper ideas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 12-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
tk106
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking 4 rear bumper ideas

My dog has a "ruff" time jumping in from the tailgate. Since the rear bumper is just painted metal, his hind legs slip. I was thinking about black skateboard tape. Anyone have a better idea? Thanks

tk106 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That would look good. Order a strip that's as long as the door and only do the top. A skateboard grip would be too short and leave 12 inches either side. Wraping it down and around would look tacky and would skuff your legs if you were to lean up against it. Good idea
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
tk106
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecarder
That would look good. Order a strip that's as long as the door and only do the top. A skateboard grip would be too short and leave 12 inches either side. Wraping it down and around would look tacky and would skuff your legs if you were to lean up against it. Good idea
yup. I was planning on only taping the top part. I found a company online n they told me lowes sells their tape which would b long enough. But It's only two inches wide so I'll probably use two. I'll post a pic if I go that route.
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Unread 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
tk106
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks. I'll look into it. From what their website advertises, it should work.
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Spray on Bedliner on the bumpers helps my dogs out.
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My pops put some thick clear 3M plastic over his rear bumper to keep it nice, you cant see it and it give the pups some traction. I have to help my male into mine. he's getting to old to jump high enough lol gotta love humping a 100lbs dog into an XJ

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
tk106
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes
My pops put some thick clear 3M plastic over his rear bumper to keep it nice, you cant see it and it give the pups some traction. I have to help my male into mine. he's getting to old to jump high enough lol gotta love humping a 100lbs dog into an XJ
=) the only blemish on my xj is the top of the rear bumper. Now that u tell me 3m has clear plastic for it, don't know what to do. Before it was either skate board tape or krylon non skid coating which would hide those scratches. But painting it and putting on that clear plastic to me seems nicer. Thanks for throwing that wrench =)
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk106 View Post
=) the only blemish on my xj is the top of the rear bumper. Now that u tell me 3m has clear plastic for it, don't know what to do. Before it was either skate board tape or krylon non skid coating which would hide those scratches. But painting it and putting on that clear plastic to me seems nicer. Thanks for throwing that wrench =)
I wouldn't use anything to rough, could be worse for your pup

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post

I wouldn't use anything to rough, could be worse for your pup
I don't think so. My bird dogs live in a concrete kennel year round and when hunting run full blast 6hrs at a time through fields, woods, briar patches, gravel roads, swamps, you name it they will find it. Feet never seen the carpet of my house other then the occasional rug in a hunting lodge. Dogs feet are very tough, I could see where a house dog that never goes outside, gets manicures and poops in the corner everyday could get a scuff from the grip tape but unlikely. Nothing to hurt him.
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.