Long distance trip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Long distance trip?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
IndridCold89
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Long distance trip?

So I plan on taking my 1991 Jeep Cherokee from Wisconsin to Michigan in a few months about a 365mi trip one way, 730mi total. I think it can make it easily but what do you guys think? Any reasons I shouldn't? I'm letting my brother borrow my 2002 Blazer atm so I don't have access to my long distance vehicle right now(that also has 130,000mi). Sure I could take it back from him but I really don't want him to drive my Jeep since it doesn't have Full Coverage Insurance on it and I wouldn't want have to find another if he smashed it.

Also : Out of curiosity, hypothetical situation... Do you think it could make it from WI to Florida and back without incident? lol. Me and my girlfriend are also planning a road trip to Florida in May. We'll probably do a rental car but it's just hypothetical once again.

Truck, as far as I could tell in 2009, was well taken care of from the previous owner. Has 153,000 miles on it. I did a transmission flush/gasket change recently. Thermostat/coolant change as well. Has a usual piston slap noise. Probably needs the serpentine belt changed but I keep a spare in the back. Otherwise it's in good shape. Runs a little hot on long distance freeway trips but I plan on changing out the radiator before it gets warm again.

What do you think?

IndridCold89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Should be fine. I have no idea what condition your jeep is in, so its up to you. I'm always skeptical of mine because I beat it up so much offroad, but I took it down to the outer banks last year which is at least a 6 hour drive, plus ran it up and down the beach all week with no issues. Oh and add an additional 6 hours of driving in the middle of the week to evacuate for a hurricane...
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Moe88
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im in the near the end of a 2300 mile trip across the country (Richmond, VA to Sierra Vista, AZ) The only insight I have is to be sure your tires are in good shape, a vibration could be a pain after 10 hours, and invest in a decent temperature gauge.
oh and
Hope for lower gas prices too.
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd get a new radiator since it runs hot and replace the belt. Just top off all fluids and you are good to go. My jeep seems to run better on long highway drives.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
94bluexj
1994 XJ Cherokee 

mine has 223k and ive put only about 3k on it and i would drive it that far. actually plan on doing a few trips this summer. just checking your gauges on a regular basis and topping of fluids would be a good idea. also i would change the oil and filter before you take the trip for good measure.
94bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Umm, lets do some math...

730mi at 20mpg, fuel cost $3.40 per gal... $125ish...
730mi at 40mpg (ford focus rental) $63ish, and a $15 a day rental...

I'd pocket the $50, and not spend it on gas, plus additional maintenance your going to do to it before the trip. Not worth it to me anymore, because if anything goes wrong, your really SOL. A newer rented car with no limit on mileage would be a much better bet. Free towing, free roadside, if you buy the insurance you can return it in two pieces or more and not personally care about it.

~Nate

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

like dcorn said, i see no reason why you cant do it. just make sure its up to date on its tune up and go.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I routinely take my 88 XJ on a 1200-1500 mile round trip each year as well as a few 500-600 treks that include mild trails in Moab. I get nervous sometimes, yes, and this is my baby so I baby it. But if you figure it will last driving around your home +/-100 miles for a year, then it should be fine with 750 in a week.
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
wlc78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I drive my 97XJ from western MA to Maine at least four time a year to visit in-laws...without trouble...but if you can get a rental cheaper once you factor in gas and maintenance on your jeep why not...make the trip more care free imo
wlc78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Age, and credit score play a huge factory into rental costs. I have a horrible record, but awesome credit. Can do rentals cheaply now that I'm 21

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
inunishi
2000 WJ 

I have 272,000 on my 90xj. I took it 352 miles, broke the driver side leaf spring, spent the weekend hunting, and then drove 352 miles back on busted jeep.
inunishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A long trip is not much different than a bunch of short trips. If you don't expect it to have any problems in the next 700 miles at home driving normally, it shouldn't have any problems doing it in less time.

The only things that would effect my decision would be comfortability and affordability. Gas is expensive; and my jeeps cruise is not working. I have driven it to Toronto Canada and back (to louisville KY) 600 + miles each way by myself recently, and I don't want to do that again without cruise control. Although your trip is a good bit shorter, but the idea is the same, small things get annoying fast on a long trip. I have done that trip, and longer trips multiple times with cruise working and I would trust the jeep to get me wherever I am going even with a major mechanical failure (i did go approximately 800 miles overheating, progressively getting worse, so that ever minor hill red lined the temp.. The only thing I was worried about was the A/C not working (engine still runs great after radiator replacement, but I dont know what internal damages may have happened)).

Does your jeep drive on higways ok? If yes, then go for it. If no, rent a car and probably save money too, lol.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
IndridCold89
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
A long trip is not much different than a bunch of short trips. If you don't expect it to have any problems in the next 700 miles at home driving normally, it shouldn't have any problems doing it in less time.

The only things that would effect my decision would be comfortability and affordability. Gas is expensive; and my jeeps cruise is not working. I have driven it to Toronto Canada and back (to louisville KY) 600 + miles each way by myself recently, and I don't want to do that again without cruise control. Although your trip is a good bit shorter, but the idea is the same, small things get annoying fast on a long trip. I have done that trip, and longer trips multiple times with cruise working and I would trust the jeep to get me wherever I am going even with a major mechanical failure (i did go approximately 800 miles overheating, progressively getting worse, so that ever minor hill red lined the temp.. The only thing I was worried about was the A/C not working (engine still runs great after radiator replacement, but I dont know what internal damages may have happened)).

Does your jeep drive on higways ok? If yes, then go for it. If no, rent a car and probably save money too, lol.
The cruise works on mine. The truck was in pretty amazing shape when I bought it in 2009. It looked well taken care of by the previous owners. As of right now yes, it does run hot on the highway which I why I want to replace the radiator. However it doesn't run hot in the winter, only in the summer, and only on long distance highway trips does it get scarily hot. Not sure if April temps will cause it to heat up again. I can drive 60 and stay at about 185-200ºF in the winter. Last summer though I took it up north and was driving about 60-70mph in 85ºF Degree weather. I needed to turn on the heater half way through the 140mi trip cuz I was creeping gradually towards the red. That kept it down around 210-230°F.

Plus, I kinda want to show off my jeep at a convention im going to so I'd rather drive that than my 2002 Blazer I have.
IndridCold89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
toyotaguy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As long as your jeep is well maintained I'd do it. But then again if I'm driving anywhere that far away it's for long enough that the cost of a rental car will negate the money I'd save in gas, and I want to be in my jeep if the roads are nasty. Another thing to consider is that start up is the hardest time on your engine, highway driving is relatively low stress on your vehicle, so I think a road trip shouldn't be a problem in a well maintained xj.
toyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
XJohnnyC

I drove my XJ from SoCal to Whistler without a second thought. 2400 miles round trip. It all depends on the individual vehicle. If you absolutely know that the vehicle has been properly maintained, then go for it. But it sounds like you are somewhat uncertain about its previous maintenance.

If that's the case, go for the rental. I've done the rental thing a couple of times to drive to Vegas because women don't want to ride in my truck for that long.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.