JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   Long Distance (3000+ miles) Roadtrip- Advice? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/long-distance-3000-miles-roadtrip-advice-1572233/)

untaker 09-06-2013 02:30 PM

Long Distance (3000+ miles) Roadtrip- Advice?

I'm heading across the country (east to west) at the end of this month. My girlfriend and I are moving to Washington. I'll be driving my 2000 XJ, and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on taking the Jeep that far! So far, what I've done/plan to do is:

- New tires
- New fuel pump and sensor (needs replacing anyway)
- New oil sending unit (also needs replaced)
- Oil change
- New air filter
- spare serpentine belt
- tool kit

I'm also not sure if I should have my suspension looked at. I'm going to be loaded with significant weight since we're not using a moving truck. All our stuff will be split between her Mazda and the Cherokee, with the XJ carrying the majority.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Tom95YJ 09-06-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by untaker
I'm heading across the country (east to west) at the end of this month. My girlfriend and I are moving to Washington. I'll be driving my 2000 XJ, and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on taking the Jeep that far! So far, what I've done/plan to do is:

- New tires
- New fuel pump and sensor (needs replacing anyway)
- New oil sending unit (also needs replaced)
- Oil change
- New air filter
- spare serpentine belt
- tool kit

I'm also not sure if I should have my suspension looked at. I'm going to be loaded with significant weight since we're not using a moving truck. All our stuff will be split between her Mazda and the Cherokee, with the XJ carrying the majority.

Any and all advice is welcome!

I would install new spark plugs and flush the cooling system. Replace the diff fluid with a good synthetic fluid. Carry spare fluids and belts. And you should be good

untaker 09-07-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ (Post 15880713)
I would install new spark plugs and flush the cooling system. Replace the diff fluid with a good synthetic fluid. Carry spare fluids and belts. And you should be good

If I already have a little bit of sag in the back, would it be beneficial to have that checked out before loading it down with all my worldly possessions? Or would it be fine since I'm going to be on roads (mostly flat) the entire time?

Tom95YJ 09-07-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

If I already have a little bit of sag in the back, would it be beneficial to have that checked out before loading it down with all my worldly possessions? Or would it be fine since I'm going to be on roads (mostly flat) the entire time?

If your sagging in the rear your springs are shot. Just throw on a 1" shackle before the trip if your concerned once you get to the destination buy new springs

untaker 09-09-2013 07:27 AM

How much you think I would be looking at if I had a mechanic do that, parts and labor? I don't have many tools or space at my disposal (apartment complex).

Tom95YJ 09-09-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

How much you think I would be looking at if I had a mechanic do that, parts and labor? I don't have many tools or space at my disposal (apartment complex).

Shackles 100.00 or so Labor prob 1-2hrs

untaker 09-11-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ (Post 15891861)
Shackles 100.00 or so Labor prob 1-2hrs

I might do that then, there's going to be quite a bit of weight in the back. Thanks for the help!

The time now is 04:25 AM.