lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > lockers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
cheepxj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

lockers

I have a 93 XJ, with the D30 up front and the D35 out back. i noticed while i was wheelin at my farm that open diffs suck! im lookin for the best bang for my buck. ive been lookin at the powertrax lock right lockers. they say the transfer power from the slipping wheel to the one with traction. have any of you guys used em? should i go front and rear? i will be driving it everyday to work and back if that makes a differance. Thanks

cheepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
oderalxjlaredo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This question has been asked literally hundreds of times. Try the search function and you should find all the info you need.
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have no experience with lockers and have open diffs myself but from bein' round here long enough I've found the general consensus is that Aussie lockers are the best bang for the buck. They run around 230$ IIRC. I'd really like to get one in the future.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oderalxjlaredo View Post
This question has been asked literally hundreds of times.
301 times now.

I ran the Powertrax No-Slip for 40K miles and loved it....except in snow.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I bought an c8.25 with some kind of lunchbox locker (guy said it was a loc right) and i love it, I drive it everyday to work and it took some getting use to driving in a parking lot but can be harsh with a manual trans but its worth it.

Definitely more bang for the buck than a lift kit in terms of not getting stuck in a stupid predicament like mud in a field.

Power sliding in the rain is a bonus too lol

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have an aussie up front and really love it, literally invisible while in 2wd.
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
danthejeepman90
1989 XJ Cherokee 

if its a daily driver you want a locker in the rear and Maybe a detroit tru trac in the front. if you put a locker up front your turning radius will drop significantly.
this is my cherokee... there are many like it but this one is mine, I will love my cheroke form the day of ownership untill the day it dies, I promise to modd it and beat it after said mods... i promise to treat all other cherokee owners as family even though they are complete strangers.... and promise to jeep on forever
(in reference to wheeling) if at first you don't succeed, you clearly don't drive an xj
1989 jeep cherokee
danthejeepman90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthejeepman90 View Post
if its a daily driver you want a locker in the rear and Maybe a detroit tru trac in the front. if you put a locker up front your turning radius will drop significantly.
Have you ever had a loc right or aussie up front? The only time turning radius is effected is when you are offroad but even then its not that bad for the price.
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
cheepxj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So should i just put one in the front so its really only in use in 4wd since i will be driving 140miles highway everyday?
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Nick
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheepxj View Post
So should i just put one in the front so its really only in use in 4wd since i will be driving 140miles highway everyday?
That is what I would do.

I will likely get an ARB rear, and a detroit up front.
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
cheepxj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

ok last question, aussie website says not to use front locker in 4wds with non manual hubs on icy roads. i live in MO so winters can get pretty bad but i wouldnt use 4wd on a snowy highway till i ran off the road and needed the extra traction of the locker. does that make sence to anyone???
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheepxj View Post
ok last question, aussie website says not to use front locker in 4wds with non manual hubs on icy roads. i live in MO so winters can get pretty bad but i wouldnt use 4wd on a snowy highway till i ran off the road and needed the extra traction of the locker. does that make sence to anyone???
If you are planning on driving on the icy roads with the auto locker up front (in 4wd) its not usually advised, though doable not recommended unless you can remain aware of what you are driving with.

Again while in 2wd its literally invisible.
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
XGoBoomJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

be sure to check if you have open or posi differential.. lunchbox lockers are specific

im going with powertrax no slip for my 8.25 around $450, which isnt bad considering the gains from it

Tags
locker , slipping , traction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.