Locker/LSD opinions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Locker/LSD opinions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Wolfie

Locker/LSD opinions?

I have another thread on this. Kinda different tho.

So heres the thing. I live in wisconsin. And usually we get alot of snow. But I love to go wheeling. And alot of the time. I need more traction.

Now im not going to buy a select able locker. Itll be an autolocker. Most likely an aussie. But id been thinking. Would a rear LSD and a front aussie work best for me?

Ive heard LSD's run better in snow. Are nicer on tires. And for the most part. Are pretty good. But ive also heard many people say they regret putting them in?

Now if i just need to skip a few days of school and learn how to drive with an auto locker in the snow/ice/whatever then i will. But maybe an LSD will be better.

Give me your opinion on whatd you do. Pros and cons of LSD rear locker front. Or locker front/rear. Heck even lsd front/rear.

Thanks

Wolfie

Unread 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/w...ad-4wd-641869/

Might wanna give that a quick read, tons of good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Wolfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/w...ad-4wd-641869/

Might wanna give that a quick read, tons of good info.
Read it all. Great info. But im still wondering if i should do dual auto lockers or auto front and lsd rear. It says auto front wouldnt be bad. Might not be great but eh. Ive read alot about that.

Im just not sure what to do.
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Read more locker threads. Start by scrolling to the bottom of this page. Use the SEARCH, use the Google.

Lots of people have lockers and/or Limited Slips in their daily drivers. What you choose for traction devices will be based on your budget, your 4x4 trail conditions and usage, your local weather conditions, and your pavement usage.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Ihatton929

Do your reading, but I can say that as far as traction systems go.... and Im no expert, but Im really happy with the Detroit TrueTrac. The quick summary of it is that it engages when you're on the gas so you aren't always locked up. Some of the down sides that Ive heard is that it can be a bit of a handful with a manual and I guess it doesnt work that great for rock crawling where you lift one of the tires off the ground. Other than that, it has a nice smooth, dare I say unnoticable, locking motion that gives plenty of traction.

That being said, do more reading!
Ihatton929 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

what t-case do you have?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Selectable locker front, auto-locker rear is the only way to go.
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Corcor4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Didn't read above posts. Here's my take... Manual auto lockers are pretty much always engaged... When your in gear off the gas engine brakin or just coasting it stays engaged. I think when I finally pull the trigger on a locker I'll get like the guy said above. Probably a selectable in the front...

I will be living in the snow during winters next year and even though everyone who has a locker jn the snow I'd rather just make it simple and get a selectable for the rear. Not an ARB but I don't have the $$ to grab one of those. Probably an electric... Even tho I have onboard air
Corcor4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Wolfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990jeepxj View Post
what t-case do you have?
np242

Tags
limited slip differential , locker , opinions , snow driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.