Living in an XJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Living in an XJ.

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
VicOfAges
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Living in an XJ.

I've searched for a thread on this but could not find one.

I'm considering using my XJ as a place to dwell and sleep. I've lived on a relatively small sailboat before so I'm accustomed to the lifestyle. It's the XJ specifics I'm interested in.

Considerations:
  • Limited sleeping room. I'm 72 in. tall and would probably need to push the passenger seat forward to dig out a space long enough for good sleep.
  • No tire carrier. I plan to install one to move the spare out of the cargo area. A roof rack is an option but not sure about it.
  • The back seat is unnecessary. I'm going to remove it and put it in storage along with the apartment stuff. I'll build a platform for the gap with space underneath for storage.
  • Privacy. Install the darkest tint legally allowed on all windows. Privacy curtains or cloth where necessary. Especially between the front and the cargo area. Don't want looky loos.
  • Storage. I'm thinking that I split the cargo area so that one side is for sleep and the other side can have plastic drawer type of storage.
  • Parking. I'm reading that some shopping centers that have 24 hour gyms and markets and such are good spots, since it's not unusual to have vehicles parked overnight.

Does anyone have experience living in an XJ or have good tips for making a XJ as livable as possible?

VicOfAges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I "live" in mine 8-10 days a year. Way too small and cramped, even with only a small amt of cargo. I am 6'1". You'd be better off trying to find a cheap little trailer off craigs list or the likes and making a small berth style enclosure, It would give you head room, leg room and it will be way more comfortable. You won't need to pack stuff up all the time. Kinda like this....

http://www.discount-trailers.com/sma...ty-trailer.htm
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

ive slept in mine before its not bad. i just pull the bottom of the back seat out and fold it all down and that gives like 5-6" more.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a blow up mattress in mine for camping. I'm 6'1" and it's a little snug. With the front seats all the way forward and the bottom of the rear seat out its tolerable.
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Agility
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Are you trying to stay inconspicuous and sleep inside the Jeep? What about a rooftop tent?

How much stuff would you keep with you "at home"? Would you be living out of the XJ own it's on or in conjunction with the storage space?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
VicOfAges
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
Are you trying to stay inconspicuous and sleep inside the Jeep? What about a rooftop tent?
Yep, inconspicuous. That's why I'm sticking with the XJ instead of trading up for a small RV. You see one of those parked on the street and know someone's living in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJmaine97 View Post
How much stuff would you keep with you "at home"? Would you be living out of the XJ own it's on or in conjunction with the storage space?
I'm essentially sleeping in the XJ. There's the gym, coffee shops, the office, etc. to provide other amenities. That said, I would have some basics like a cooler for non-perishable food, clothing, phone and tablet, books. Small stuff that tucks out of sight. No hording.

I'm adding better (larger) side mirrors to my list of things to do. Wondering what can be done using aftermarket parts.

This bed platform is my guide:

(Not my photos. Originally from here).

Unread 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
VicOfAges
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Some more inspiration photos from a find on CL.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4144789509.html

Unread 10-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...31/index2.html

Unread 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
VicOfAges
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That's clean. My only concern is maximizing the storage space. I'm thinking of a bed about half that width and up on a platform. Still thinking on the design.

[This is a duplicate post from the tire carrier thread. I figured I should post my updates here instead since getting the tire out of the cargo area is part of the plan].

Found one. Not OEM, but it looks sturdy enough for 235s. I like the support on the left side though I may reinforce that latch. Cleaned it up and still need to wirewheel and paint it. I don't like the points where it mounts to the body, so I'm going to look at support plates for the inside as well.

Oh, and before I scrubbed it off the old label said it was manufactured by Valley Industries.

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you know, a low back seat or removing the passenger seat in general would allowing you to have full length sleeping room..

also using a roof rack storage system may be beneficial

something like this thule. weatherproof, secure etc.

http://www.rackoutfitters.com/1998-j...board-carrier/
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I lived in mine for 4 months. Had it wired for shore power and had a 2000 BTU a/c in it. Lol. Camp grounds are super cheap. Had a small Honda Gen on roof rack Eben had a nuker in it. Used a 24 quart cooler. Put a Dodge conversion van seat in passenger side. So comfy.
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
VicOfAges
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. I like that passenger seat idea. You happen to have any photos of that? I imagine it as the sort with the column base that swivels, like this:

I'm looking for roof racks as well, but not as big a priority. I'll have storage nearby.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It was the swivel. Just drilled and bolted. It was a tight fit. I don't have pics I gave the xj to a ww2 vet here in town. I'd do it again too. He was the coolest role timer ever. He needed a ride and wanted to go cross country. Miss him.
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of great ideas here:
http://www.cheaprvlivingforum.com/

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Xride

I have to ask.

Why?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.