Little Blue Jeep build: Abridged. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
xjkj92
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Little Blue Jeep build: Abridged.

So this is the first Jeep I've actually built myself, I haven't exactly documented the entire thing so this is more of what I've done/plan to do with some pictures! From now on the more I do I'll be more detailed with photos and add as I go.

Here is what I started with, purchased in July 2014 from second owner(?) for $1500
1989 Cherokee Pioneer
BA 10/5
1" Coil spacers
Bastard pack/AAL (PO was unsure)
31x10.50x15r mix match.
All manual options

Picture was taken around November 2014

Left her like that for a long time with plans in the back of my head but being 22, working a part time job at minimum wage and paying student loans and an apartment simple upkeep was the main focus.

February 2015: I moved to South Carolina for a job as a lab tech at a plant that manufactures HDPE fittings for gas and water lines.

Now September, I started ordering parts for her. First I purchased IRO 4" coils, fixed UCAs and LCAs, double shear adjustable track bar, HD tie rod, 1" T-case drop, shocks.

I didn't order rear leaves because I was hoping the 4" front would level me out with the rear (picture to come).

If you've been following the news in October 2015 SC was hit by Joaquin and many areas flooded and a lot of people lost their homes and businesses. Unfortunately I lost my house due to flood waters (my house is also a beach house on stilts and it was completely under) so I moved in with my Aunt. Every one has was of coping so I started throwing money at my Jeep haha.

Ordered some new wheels and went home and test fitted them when they came in.

Before:

During:

(Aunt came outside, didn't know I was doing it that day lol)

After:

I immediately ordered rear shackles and some much needed sway bar links.

After installing those I had to save up a little more money to buy some much needed tires, so here's my dog, Fred.

And theeeeeeeeeeeeen:

I stuck with 31x10.50s because, well they were available and I needed tires like really soon. They are Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and so far I'm pretty happy with them.

Then I go my wheels and new tires mounted and this is how she sat the day after.

Added a new sticker to remind these South Carolinians that I'm VA proud

12/9/15 was my birthday and I turned 23, when I got home there were two boxes on my aunts porch for me. My mom ordered me a steering box brace, spacer and some extended stainless brake lines (still waiting on the brake lines). Happy birthday to me! Thanks mom!

That last picture of her was about two weeks ago, this past weekend 12/12/15 I got a wild hair up my *** and decided to remove my body trim and bedline the rockers and rear quarters and put my new bumper on while I was house sitting for my boss. Still not sure if I like the bumper or not but I went heavy on clear coat to prevent rusting and kept the raw metal look to somewhat match the rear chrome bumper.

Before:

During:

And after:

As of today 12/14/15 that's how she sits.

I really don't have a set in stone plan for this because I'm always changing my mind, but the only thing that is set is once I buy another daily I'll start beating on her, right now I guess it's just prep for that. Eventually I'll get rid of the T-case drop and do an SYE, I just don't need it now. I want to swap out the BA 10/5 and attempt the 6 speed swap. Go larger on the tires once these wear out. So I think for now I'm going to focus on the interior, which is in great shape. I just don't know how to not mess with things.

The steering brace, spacer, along with a Durango gear box, a new pump and pulley will be going in over my vacation from work during Christmas break so I'll add some more pictures and what not once I do that. If anyone has any comments, questions, pointers or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism feel free to do so. Thanks guys!

Current:
4" IRO coil springs
IRO double shear adjustable track bar
IRO HD Tie Rod
IRO Shocks
IRO T-case drop
Rough Country 2" drop shackles
Rough Country quick disconnects
Dirtbound Offroad Stubby Recovery bumper
American Racing Outlaw 1's 15x10 -38 offset
31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority

Waiting to go on:
M.O.R.E Steering box brace
RE stainless braided brake lines
Durango gear box
PS Pump & pulley.

Last edited by xjkj92; 12-15-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

Use image tags, not url. Pics will show up when you get enough posts that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM
shooptube
Doorless for Taco Tuesday

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Use ["IMG] and [/IM"G] without the quotation marks, around your picture URLs.

"This is why duct tape is only rated for <25mph fastening applications." -chris87xj
post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
xjkj92
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Use image tags, not url. Pics will show up when you get enough posts that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Use ["IMG] and [/IM"G] without the quotation marks, around your picture URLs.
Got it, thanks guys.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
xjkj92
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If anyone is interested in this I have a thread on Cherokee Forum with visible pictures here's the link!

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/lit...7/#post3195654
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded

No one gives a **** about Cherokee Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 PM
shooptube
Doorless for Taco Tuesday

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
No one gives a **** about Cherokee Forum.
Lol

"This is why duct tape is only rated for <25mph fastening applications." -chris87xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.