Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Little Blue Build Thread

12K views 168 replies 16 participants last post by  paintball10148 
#1 ·
Hey guys I guess it's time I start my build thread and get some input on my build so far. I'm going to post what I've done and get everyone caught up to where the build is now. I've always been a zj guy but I bought my first xj last September and I can't go back to a grand now. Anyway, here are some specs on the xj.

1999 Cherokee sport
Aw4
Np242
Dana 30 and Dana 35

I picked her up with 159k on the clock and in need of some tires and a windshield for 2k.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
On to the mods so far. After a few weeks of putting the flares back on every time I drove it i got fed up and pulled them off and stuck some 31s and black steelies under it.

Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Car

#3 ·
The next few things I did spanned over several months as my budget was low. I put some hella 500s on the front and trimmed the fenders. Also I picked up a warrior products roof rack for a steal on Craigslist. And I had a cb radio and antenna from my old zj.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Then I trimmed the fenders a bit. I don't have pictures of that but we all know what it looks like... Next to come I felt the jeep needed a different look so I did some spray on bed lining. On the quarters, fenders, and lower doors.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

#5 ·
Thanks! it was stock at the time I did my fenders and bed liner.

#6 ·
I decided a bumper was in order and owning a welder and plenty of tools I couldn't justify spending $500+ on a bumper I could build myself.
I modeled it after a few bumpers i liked and I think it came out pretty decent for my first bumper build.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car Wheel

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

#22 ·
I decided a bumper was in order and owning a welder and plenty of tools I couldn't justify spending $500+ on a bumper I could build myself.
I modeled it after a few bumpers i liked and I think it came out pretty decent for my first bumper build.

Wow, looks great. Gotta say, looks quite a bit like mine :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I kept the jeep like this for a few months other than a couple small things like a new stereo and I took the factory luggage bars off the roof. I sold the warrior products rack and found a little rust on the roof so I sanded it down and bed lined the roof.

Building Automotive tire Wood Shade Asphalt

Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Plant Motor vehicle

I had some leftover bed liner so I did a little custom decal :)

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

#8 ·
One thing I learned is not to trust the color match paint from autozone....

Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Steering part

Not quite right but i can live with it til I have the time to reprint it.

Attachments

#9 ·
I traded wheels with my brother since he has wanted d-windows on his zj for a while and I needed a change.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Not crazy about the chrome so I'm going to paint them. Haven't decided on gunmetal grey or black yet.

I found a basic 3" kit on Craigslist for $200 that is almost new and never been wheeled. Can't beat that! I love Craigslist. The kit came with spacers for the front, New shocks with boots, 1.5" add a leafs and 2" shackles with all the hardware. I'm not a fan of spacers but they will do for now.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

#10 ·
That's where I'm at now with the jeep. I have a death wobble to figure out :/ once the weather clears up ill get that figured out.

#12 ·
Thanks! I ordered a steering stabilizer from rough country that should be here this week. My stock one is shot so hopefully that will cover up the death wobble for a bit til I can diagnose it.

#14 ·
What a coincidence, I was just reading your "other build thread" haha thanks for the compliment!

I liked the d-windows but everyone gets them :/ when I get tired of these current wheels I may switch back.

A winch is on the list for sure. Right now I need to figure out why it handles like a boat... :(

#15 ·
I love working in the disposal business. People throw away the best stuff! Found a bunch of 2x4 .120 wall steel tubing while dumbing a can this morning. Rear bumper coming very soon :D

#16 ·
I would diag the DW instead of covering in up and waiting for something to fail! Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at tie rod ends and especially the track bar ends. I would bet its your track bar frame side, its the OE one right?

#18 ·
So.. Driving the jeep home from work I got it to 70mph with no issues hitting bumps the whole way no wobbles no vibes... The jeep may be haunted...

#20 ·
I will do that this week, as they haven't been balanced in while anyway. Was your shimmy intermittent? Mine seems to be

#23 ·
GtiKyle said:
Wow, looks great. Gotta say, looks quite a bit like mine :thumbsup:
Hey thanks! If you mounted your winch in front of the grill they'd be twins! Haha

#24 ·
Not a huge update but my dog is excited about it! New steering stabilizer from rough country

Dog Liver Dog breed Pet supply Carnivore

#25 ·
Did a little stretching at Walgreens and frightened an old lady in the process haha

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

And now I can represent my jeep club!

Outerwear Sleeve T-shirt Grey Font

Vehicle Tire Car Hood Plant

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

#26 ·
Anybody in Colorado that wants to join us on a wheeling/camping trip this weekend in buena vista, message me for details! It would be nice to have a few new people out there on the trail with us!

Anyway I got the stabilizer in and cleaned the jeep up a little bit. It was a long week away from the jeep in Ohio for the holiday. Haha

#27 ·
Picked up a set of rock sliders on Craigslist yesterday! After a fresh coat of bed liner they're well worth the $100 I paid for them.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Tread

#28 ·
Picked up a set of rock sliders on Craigslist yesterday! After a fresh coat of bed liner they're well worth the $100 I paid for them.
Those don't look bad at all, especially for that price. Do you have a side view/underview on how they attach?

#29 ·
Thanks! I don't but ill grab one later I was rushing out the door to work this morning when I got that picture.

Basically they bolt to the frame with 4 bolts per side and the pinch welds with another 4 or 5 bolts per side but I welded them since my pinch welds were way too ****ed up. And they guy didn't have any of the bolts anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.