Lights on stock xj bumper!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lights on stock xj bumper!?

WIN a Rough Country Forged Track Bar - ExtremeTerrain!1987-2016 Wrangler Jammock Black 2.0 Jeep Hammock (YJ, TJ Rancho rockGEAR promotion gear from January 1-February 29,

Reply
Unread 01-04-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
jeeperli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Lights on stock xj bumper!?

I see a lot of people who put lights on there stock xj bumper.. I would like to do the same thing but realized there is no access to putting the nut on the lights once the hole is drilled to put the lights through the bumper. I have a 99 xj...do I have to remove the bumper to Mount the lights ? Or is there a tip/trick that I am missing to mount the lights?? Any advice would be cool thanks

jeeperli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperli View Post
I see a lot of people who put lights on there stock xj bumper.. I would like to do the same thing but realized there is no access to putting the nut on the lights once the hole is drilled to put the lights through the bumper. I have a 99 xj...do I have to remove the bumper to Mount the lights ? Or is there a tip/trick that I am missing to mount the lights?? Any advice would be cool thanks
The bumper skin is just a U shape, the access can be tight but you'll be able to get into it. Worst case, look at the bottom of the bumper right in front of the frame rails, you'll be able to find the lower mounting bolt for the bumper. The bumper is then, you should be able to push it out and get into it with the bottom bolts undone if you can't while it's tight.

It's not really a big operation or anything.
__________________
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
Build
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
jeeperli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior
The bumper skin is just a U shape, the access can be tight but you'll be able to get into it. Worst case, look at the bottom of the bumper right in front of the frame rails, you'll be able to find the lower mounting bolt for the bumper. The bumper is then, you should be able to push it out and get into it with the bottom bolts undone if you can't while it's tight. It's not really a big operation or anything.

Are u talking about the 2 troxs bots that are right under the bumper ? Or the 3 bolts on each side of the jeep that hold the bumper brackets to the frame ?
jeeperli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperli View Post
Are u talking about the 2 troxs bots that are right under the bumper ? Or the 3 bolts on each side of the jeep that hold the bumper brackets to the frame ?
The ones right under the bumper. The bumper has 2 Mounts that bolt to the frame, the skin that bolts to the mounts and then the endcaps.

If you can't get a hand or a tool into the skin to install your lights, you only need to unbolt the skin from the mounts, you don't need to unbolt the mounts themselves.
__________________
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
Build
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
jesse12801
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: glens falls, NY
Posts: 335
I just put lights on the front bumper the other day.Drilled a couple of holes and put screws in to hold the brackets.Working fine.
jesse12801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
v8_ranch
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 28
Are you talking more like the newer wrangler bumpers?
__________________
Shane

95 XJ Sport, 4x4, 3" RC lift, 31x10.5, Daily Driver
98 XJ Classic, 4x4
v8_ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
jeeperli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Are you talking more like the newer wrangler bumpers?

No just the factory bumper on a 96-01 Cherokee
jeeperli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
BlackXJ98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Stamford, CT
Posts: 27
I just did this last week. There are two larger holes on the inside of the bumper. Depending where you place them you can get the nuts on the bolts if you tweak your arm a bunch. It took me a while but I was able to get them on and tighten them down. You can also just remove the bumper and do all work on a bench. The bumper only has 3 bolts per side holding it to the frame.
BlackXJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
jeeperli
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXJ98
I just did this last week. There are two larger holes on the inside of the bumper. Depending where you place them you can get the nuts on the bolts if you tweak your arm a bunch. It took me a while but I was able to get them on and tighten them down. You can also just remove the bumper and do all work on a bench. The bumper only has 3 bolts per side holding it to the frame.

Ya I literally just discovered these too large holes right in front of my face like 10 mins ago hahah lol.... But thanks for the help everyone
jeeperli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.