Lighter M101A2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lighter M101A2

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
96XJ0507
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lighter M101A2

So in a followup to my earlier thread asking if it was possible to lighten up an M101a2 or if it was feasible without it. So, I found that there is about 100lbs of bracing on the bottom of the trailer box that can go if you weld the box to the frame instead of bolt it.

So I did that and decided I wanted to make it a little smaller, so here is what a couple hours of grinding, hammering, and cutting can produce. When I get the sides cut to match and welded up I'll put those up as well. Also found that by flipping the tongue tubes 180 that I'll be able to cut them back 12" and still have them pretty close together and then I'll box the front end in with the lunette sandwiched in there. It takes some time, but it is a lot cheaper than an M416 in this area. Also, I'll get a final weight before the axle swap and after when I get around to it.

It is now a 5.5' long bed by 4'2" and the tongue will be about 40" long from box to center of lunette.

img_5913.jpg   img_5915.jpg  
96XJ0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
96XJ0507
1996 XJ Cherokee 

New axle is on along with modifications to the tongue and additions to the frame. Total weight of frame and axle and tongue (no box) is 340lbs. Will update once wheels and body are installed.
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Litergy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's been awhile. Are there any updates?
Litergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Litergy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would also like to see what you did with the tounge? I'm in the process of modifing my m101A2 also. What axle did you go with? Do you have the part number?
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
96XJ0507
1996 XJ Cherokee 

For the tongue I flipped the tubes to the inside of the mounts to draw them in for a shorter tongue. Then I boxed in the tongue and welded the stock lunette into position. For the axle I used southwest wheel http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ler-axles.aspx . I need to finish welding it the rest of the way. The only thing I had with this axle company is I had to weld on my own perches. Just make sure you get them the way you want them before welding. I still need to get updated pictures, I only have one of it tacked together.

As for the lunette though, I'm changing mine to a rotating setup to give more articulation. I bought a new lunette and will make a tube to hold some bushings to mount the Lunette in. The the lunette can rotate about the long axis if the trailer and jeep are ever on alternate planes (like crossing a wash on a diagonal).
img_6107.jpg  
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Litergy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good!
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, that looks great. A lot of work, but it will be worth it. I had the opportunity to buy one of those as well...WAY too big for me, but it was 1/3 of the cost of the M101 CDN2 I bought.

This is a nice build.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
DorkAlert

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just won an m101a2 and have been thinking about how to cut it down to a more manageable size to be towed behind my TJ. I do, however, want to keep the military axle and brake system. Your thread is giving me a lot of ideas. Please post more details. I really like what I am seeing.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.