Is this Liftgate salvageable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Is this Liftgate salvageable?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
markcorpus
1998 ZJ 

Is this Liftgate salvageable?

Hello. I am usually at the ZJ forum but have recently acquired a 99 XJ so I'm new to the XJ forum. The new XJ was backed into and the tailgate caved in. I have not attempted to open the gate yet until I have some possible alternatives in the event it doesn't go well. The previous owner did not attempt to open it either.

I am looking for suggestions on what to do next. Try to push the dents out from the inside? Consider it a loss and buy a replacement? Either way I need to get the thing open to remove it. What would be the best approach without busting the glass? Thanks to anyone with some experience/insight on this.

dscn0866.jpg   dscn0873.jpg  
markcorpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the plastic panel from the inside?

A big flathead and pull the handle out?

BFH
Unread 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You say did not attempt to open it, do you mean other than grabbing the handle like normally? Or not even that? Because if it is the latter, my advice would be to grab the handle and lift.

I think you would have a very hard time getting the plastic off the inside with it closed. But I would be inclined to kick on it from the inside while someone was lifting the handle.

Cutoff wheel will work for sure
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
markcorpus
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys. Yes Kettles I did attempt to open it by grabbing the handle normally. I have not tried adding any force to it yet. I wanted to get some ideas first and see if anyone else had this challenge. I think I will end up attempting what you mentioned and push it out from the inside with my feet. May have to dissect the plastic too.
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck! My guess is you will have to sacrifice something to get it open. Either cutting up the inside panel or trying to remove the handle itself, probably destroying it too.

Keep us updated.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
CherokeeHybrid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I modified my hatch to open from the inside by cutting a opening in the plastic.That way i can lift the bar up and it pops the hatch open. i dont think you can take the panel off while the door is still closed.
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
markcorpus
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys. I removed the screws at the top of the plastic panel. This gave me enough wiggle room to get my hand in and pull up the door latch with pliers. I was able to pop the gate open. I managed to repair the mechanism so it opens and closes now. Its still not pretty but it functions. I did some pushing and pulling on it and reduced the severity of the dents a bit. Need to work on it some more to see if I can get it to be something I can live with.
4jf2.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.