Lift questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lift questions...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
jlrtech79
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lift questions...

Hey everyone, I just ordered a set of 31x10.50xR15 tires and still riding stock height. I am wanting to do a 2" lift and have the idea of coil spacers and shacks in the rear...What shocks would I need or can use...?

jlrtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

this is a hyper discussed item; you really need to search the forum before posting

since you are a brand new member I'll toss you a bone and help you out

try these threads
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...n-all-1182172/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...my-xj-1034678/

I just did about a 4" lift on an xj that went on tracks. I picked up a set of jk takeoffs for $30 shipped for all four. I'm hyper happy, but their are a ton of different options.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
jlrtech79
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for seeing I am new to this forum. I was told by my buddy I can clear that size tire with no lift but just want to do a 2" lift later down the road or when I get my tires in 3-5days. I dont know if I can used just the stock shock or if I needed to get 3" shocks beacuse I cant find shocks for a 2" lift...

I did read over those 2 links but I am not looking to go that high in inches just yet. Although they were helpful for if I do decide to go higher than 2".
jlrtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

my guess,
is that for a 2" lift you'll be fine with your oem shocks; the evil is if your axle travel exceeds the range of travel on your shock (think slamming the shock out to the full extend stops)

you can test it by extending the axle to its limit then removing the shock from the bottom; if you have travel left on your shock you are golden; if not then you need a longer shock or go with a BPE (look here for what a BPE is and some other thoughts on which shocks to use http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm)

in general you don't have to worry about the shocks being to long (like if you used a shock for a 3" on a 2"; that should be fine)
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

oh; and likely you have sagged below shock height so your 2" may only be maybe an 1" after factoring in sag

center of axle hub to bottom of fender flare is 17" in the rear for reference
Unread 03-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

OEM shocks are fine but the shackles are a waste of time and money. They're going to give you a terrible shock angle, terrible ride quality, and they're going to kill your stock leaf packs.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.