Lift kit Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lift kit Question

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 12-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveforXJ View Post
Ok and where can I pick up an extended drive shaft?
Slip drive shafts that are stock generally have a 2-3" slip.
After you install the lift and sye. You'll have to measure from the axle yoke to the sye yoke. Use that measurement and factor in the 2-3" slip.
So if you have ( example) 30" between yokes you'll want a 33" shaft when its fully extended.
There's a lot of controversy over cv vs double Cardin. Research that. Make your own decision.
Front drive shafts come in different sizes due to different drivetrain set ups. So there's a variety in junkyards.

Unread 12-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

And I guess that ibjeepin wheels lightly.
I only wheel lightly but compared to him but I works fine for now. And the guy on naxja with 40s on 3.55 only web wheels.
All of that info depends on whether you believe it or not. What's your personal experience? I run 35/14.50 swampers on 3.73 gears. I run out of gear at 75 MPH. And in sugar sand and crawling I tend to run out if gear and get stuck. I'm building axles now. 4.56.
Now if you have tons of torque and HP it'll help turn the bigger tires on 3.55's. But it still not optimal. Its easier and cheaper to play with axles and gears than it is to pull a motor and drop $5000 in it.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92

All of that info depends on whether you believe it or not. What's your personal experience? I run 35/14.50 swampers on 3.73 gears. I run out of gear at 75 MPH. And in sugar sand and crawling I tend to run out if gear and get stuck. I'm building axles now. 4.56.
Now if you have tons of torque and HP it'll help turn the bigger tires on 3.55's. But it still not optimal. Its easier and cheaper to play with axles and gears than it is to pull a motor and drop $5000 in it.
I run in rock and dirt/mud
I run out of gearing on climbs but that's why I have a gear selector. And I run them in 4 low.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #34
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

I run in rock and dirt/mud
I run out of gearing on climbs but that's why I have a gear selector. And I run them in 4 low.
That's the beauty of 4wd. But the fun comes from conquering holes in 2 wheel lol. And yes you're right about 4 lo.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Maybe I should have clarified on the MPH thing. I can go over 65 if I want, I'm not saying thats my top speed but I'm definitely keeping my foot to the floor to maintain anything over 65. 65 is what I can maintain on a highway comfortably but thats slow as hell imo but I only drive on the highway 2-3 times a year. Then again I'm in a 92 that tops out around 85 normally anyway. Off road and around town is just fine. Sure I take a bit longer to accelerate but 45 is a real sweet spot on 3.55s which is good for me because stock I cant help but speed all the time.

All I meant is 33s and stock gears aren't good for the highway if thats a factor because someone said there was no need to regear for 33s which isn't exactly true.
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #36
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You're right. Its not even speed or acceleration that should be considered. Its the extra stress on the system. From axle components to wearing out trans and engines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.