Lift kit Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lift kit Question

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

On eBay, this is what I found for the sye. Which do I need?
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=Slip...+jeep+cherokee

LiveforXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveforXJ View Post
I want a 6.5 inch kit, with 33s, that way there is no regearing, the kit comes with brake lines, TC drop kit, and everything else I'll need except for the sye. I used to have a 4.5 but I want more lift. I do a little off roading but nothing to bad.
Find out what gear ratio you're running now. It's not true that you don't need to regear for 33s. It's not 100% necessary but you lose a lot of power and you can pretty much rule out any highway driving. I'm running 33s on 3.55 stock gearing now and it's like driving a 4 cyl and I can drive about 65 max on the highway if it's flat. You could always find look in JYs and see if you can't find a couple XJ axles with 4.10 gears to swap in since they're bolt in anyway.

TC drop is kinda pointless unless you don't care about ground clearance. Odds of it doing all that much to help driveline vibes at that height aren't all that great and you're still going to have bad driveline angles. Over 4.5" I'd definitely get an SYE even if it's just a hack and tap kit.
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
I was going by what you said about 35's in 6.5".
Quote:
You're going to spend far more than you need to unless you just want the look of that much height or want to run 33-35s without modifying the fenders and stock flares at all.
And what exactly about that indicated that he needed to cut anything?
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
On eBay, this is what I found for the sye. Which do I need?
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=Slip...+jeep+cherokee
First you need to figure out what transfer case you have. Does your 4x4 shifter have a "Full Time" option or not? If it does you have an NP242 and there's very few options. If it doesn't you have an NP231 which gives you quite a few.
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had a 4.5 inch kit on my old jeep and 33s, and it wasn't regeared and did about 80 on the highway but it was a 01 xj limited. Do I get both items in the link I posted above?
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
First you need to figure out what transfer case you have. Does your 4x4 shifter have a "Full Time" option or not? If it does you have an NP242 and there's very few options. If it doesn't you have an NP231 which gives you quite a few.
The transfer case is shot in it so I have to get a new one, but the old one had a full time option.
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #22
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Do I get both items in the link I posted above?
The Skyjacker one is the full kit. The $30 one isn't an SYE, it's just the transfer case yoke if you need to replace it. You wouldn't need the $30 piece.
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The Skyjacker one is the full kit. The $30 one isn't an SYE, it's just the transfer case yoke if you need to replace it. You wouldn't need the $30 piece.
Ok cool deal. And the sye helps take out "death wobble"/vibrations?
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Ok cool deal. And the sye helps take out "death wobble"/vibrations?
To remove your stock driveshaft you have to undo 4 7mm bolts on the pinion yoke of the axle. After that the yoke on the TC side simply slips in and out from the factory unlike the pinion yoke which bolts on. The higher you lift your Jeep the further apart your TC and axle become. The axle side is bolted on so the slip yoke pulls further and further out which can lead to driveline vibrations. Over 4.5" you're almost guaranteed to have driveline issues without an SYE.

Iirc you can't even use the stock or stock style rear driveshaft at 6.5" but don't quote me on that. I think you have to end up getting a CV driveshaft so it doesn't bind up.
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #25
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
To remove your stock driveshaft you have to undo 4 7mm bolts on the pinion yoke of the axle. After that the yoke on the TC side simply slips in and out from the factory unlike the pinion yoke which bolts on. The higher you lift your Jeep the further apart your TC and axle become. The axle side is bolted on so the slip yoke pulls further and further out which can lead to driveline vibrations. Over 4.5" you're almost guaranteed to have driveline issues without an SYE. Iirc you can't even use the stock or stock style rear driveshaft at 6.5" but don't quote me on that. I think you have to end up getting a CV driveshaft so it doesn't bind up.
What is a CV drive shaft? Would the front drive shaft need to be extended as well?
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
What is a CV drive shaft? Would the front drive shaft need to be extended as well?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/

This is for Wranglers but our driveline is essentially the same as a TJs so this should answer any questions you'd have.
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #27
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can do 80 on the highway on 34s and stock gears.
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nt-one-854790/ This is for Wranglers but our driveline is essentially the same as a TJs so this should answer any questions you'd have.
Ok and where can I pick up an extended drive shaft?
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You can use 3.55's on the road and for real light off road. But what motor is saying is that they're not economical, mpg stinks, the engine/trans will be working harder than it should. 4.10's are sweet for 33's.
There's a wing nut here in town with an xj he licked up the axles and runs 35/12.50's on 3.55's, he gets stuck all of the time and gets 8 MPG in town. Yes he can still do 80. But it takes 2 years to get there and over heats.
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92
You can use 3.55's on the road and for real light off road. But what motor is saying is that they're not economical, mpg stinks, the engine/trans will be working harder than it should. 4.10's are sweet for 33's.
There's a wing nut here in town with an xj he licked up the axles and runs 35/12.50's on 3.55's, he gets stuck all of the time and gets 8 MPG in town. Yes he can still do 80. But it takes 2 years to get there and over heats.
And I guess that ibjeepin wheels lightly.
I only wheel lightly but compared to him but I works fine for now. And the guy on naxja with 40s on 3.55 only web wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.