Lift kit Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lift kit Question

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 12-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lift kit Question

I'm planning on putting a 6.5 inch lift kit on my 1992 cherokee. What all will need to be upgraded? Driveline? Brake like? Driveshafts? Axle gearing?

LiveforXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty much everything. Brake lines, sye, driveshaft, gears if you're running anything over 33s, t case drop, steering stabilizer would help
usawrestler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Which kit? What engine and trans and tcase do you have? Anti lock brakes?
Most kits like rustys and rc cone with just about everything. At 6.5" you will want an sye. Try to stay away from tcase drop.
Look into a double sheer mount track bar.
Jeep on
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It will be a rough country lift. It comes with the extended brake lines, but it does not come with a longer drive shaft. My Jeep is completely stock, but the 92 cherokee Laredo has a higher output engine so I've heard. How much would it be to get a sye, and how would you drop the tcase? Sorry I'm new to this
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

First, why do you need a 6.5" lift? There's no real practical reason for that much height unless you're strictly in mud or you want to run tires far larger than you stock axles can handle. You're going to spend far more than you need to unless you just want the look of that much height or want to run 33-35s without modifying the fenders and stock flares at all.

You're looking at replacing damn near everything under your Jeep but the axles and even they'll need some upgrades. Plan on completely replacing the steering, both sets of control arms, ~$250-500 for the SYE.

Assuming you're running over a 33" tire you still need to regear and expect as much as $3000 if you're getting a shop to do it. I'd highly consider upgrading the brakes and getting a hydro assist setup for the steering.

Stay away from the RC kits. I'd go with the Clayton long arm kit personally. It's a bit more expensive but the quality is a hell of a lot higher.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/329
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

4.5" is the best way to go without ****ing yourself over. I'd still suggest an sye and driveshaft. I have an extended driveshaft I could sell you
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had a 4.5 inch kit on my old jeep. It was RC and I had it for 3 years and it still did fine. The biggest tire I will have is a 33. Cause I don't want to regear. If I stick with 4.5 I won't have to upgrade anything.
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveforXJ
I had a 4.5 inch kit on my old jeep. It was RC and I had it for 3 years and it still did fine. The biggest tire I will have is a 33. Cause I don't want to regear. If I stick with 4.5 I won't have to upgrade anything.
You will still want an sye and driveshaft on 4.5". You can run without it, but an sye and extended driveshaft are ideal and that's what most people run
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Will I have to drop the transfer case? Cause the jeep I have, I got it for 300 but I have to get a new rear axle and transfer case.
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
usawrestler95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can sell you an axle and transfer case as well. Transfer case may need to be dropped an inch
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Where are you located? And how do you lower the TC an inch? How much would you charge?
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
First, why do you need a 6.5" lift? There's no real practical reason for that much height unless you're strictly in mud or you want to run tires far larger than you stock axles can handle. You're going to spend far more than you need to unless you just want the look of that much height or want to run 33-35s without modifying the fenders and stock flares at all.

You're looking at replacing damn near everything under your Jeep but the axles and even they'll need some upgrades. Plan on completely replacing the steering, both sets of control arms, ~$250-500 for the SYE.

Assuming you're running over a 33" tire you still need to regear and expect as much as $3000 if you're getting a shop to do it. I'd highly consider upgrading the brakes and getting a hydro assist setup for the steering.

Stay away from the RC kits. I'd go with the Clayton long arm kit personally. It's a bit more expensive but the quality is a hell of a lot higher.

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/329
What difference to you or me or anyone other than the person asking the question why they want to lift and why they want to lift that high?
Not everyone wants to cut the jeep up.
6.5" is a good height for 33's. With very little trimming if any.
If he has the Chrysler 8.25 it will hold those 33's just fine. The dana30 will hold 35's all day unless you comp crawl.
Good quality sye kits can be bought for $150 on eBay stores and amazon. He doesn't have to pay extra just to buy it from a name branded store.
If we all built our rigs exactly as one individual told us too then there would not be an appeal to being a jeeper. We would drive fords and chevys then.
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
LiveforXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I want a 6.5 inch kit, with 33s, that way there is no regearing, the kit comes with brake lines, TC drop kit, and everything else I'll need except for the sye. I used to have a 4.5 but I want more lift. I do a little off roading but nothing to bad.
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberxj92 View Post
What difference to you or me or anyone other than the person asking the question why they want to lift and why they want to lift that high?
Not everyone wants to cut the jeep up.
6.5" is a good height for 33's. With very little trimming if any.
If he has the Chrysler 8.25 it will hold those 33's just fine. The dana30 will hold 35's all day unless you comp crawl.
Good quality sye kits can be bought for $150 on eBay stores and amazon. He doesn't have to pay extra just to buy it from a name branded store.
If we all built our rigs exactly as one individual told us too then there would not be an appeal to being a jeeper. We would drive fords and chevys then.
Show me where I told him to cut anything. All I said was there wasn't much practical reason for that much lift, suggested alternatives and asked a couple questions to get a better idea of what he wants to do with his Jeep. If you don't like my advice or questions either shut up or use the ignore function.
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I was going by what you said about 35's in 6.5".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.