JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   lift kit identification (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/lift-kit-identification-1210162/)

Project_Sparta 05-05-2011 12:47 PM

lift kit identification

2 Attachment(s)
need help figuring out what lift i have on this jeep i just bought.. the dealership had no idea. pretty sure though it is a RC. the shocks look white with red stickers...

93gc40 05-05-2011 12:56 PM

More picks.. From what I can see looks Home-Brew and HIGHLY modified. Springs and shocks could be from anywhere. I seriously doubt that was lifted with a "Kit".

Project_Sparta 05-05-2011 05:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics

Kettles 05-05-2011 05:55 PM

Looks all "custom" home brew stuff. Coil springs could be from anywhere, the rear is clearly a bastard pack (with a bad shackle angle, and they didn't bother to remove the old packs spring clamps), and there are drop brackets up front (i hope they are store bought). The design was thought out enough to have drop brackets and custom (assumed proper length) control arms and steering, a trussed (to some degree) front axle, relocated track bar, etc. Quality, I can't say though. If it were mine I would replace anything with a apparantly bad weld asap. I would inspect the steering as it looks custom and possibly by the same welder as the control arms (the weld on the upper control arm looks atrocious).

EDIT:
Looking at the control arms more, The bushing sleeves and all that look professionally done (or machine done), the bad weld is in the middle like it was an adjustable arm and they welded it solid, or cut the arms because they were to long or something, I don't know. Either way the weld scares me, and makes you wonder about other things.

Project_Sparta 05-05-2011 06:11 PM

were the front sway bars would connect to were also cut to allow movement of the steering. With everything being custom im not sure were to even start at replacing things. im already having to replace a lincoln locker in the rear, and the a/c compressor was set up for onboard air.

rugsucka 05-05-2011 09:19 PM

I bet the rear leaf is stiffer than... well I hope you fillings are in good.

The welds look like booger stick welds - probably OK for strength, but pretty ugly looking - could have at least smoothed them a bit with an angle grinder.

Pay much? I'd make sure the alignment is adequate and find a local jeeper to look it over with you to ID the good bad and ugly.

If that's your young lady you have a pretty good reason to ensure you won't death wobble yourself and her into an accident.

I'd wheel the piss out of it - you have a unique rig that many would :drool: over. It's probably built by someone who knew what they were doing, but lacked some welding skill and finesse.

Brookhart63 05-05-2011 09:36 PM

Sweet rig for sure. Whoever it was knew what they were doing but maybe didnt care about looks? Ugly welds hold but they are well......ugly. Custom rig that needs to be wheeled. Hard! Good luck mate!

Kettles 05-05-2011 09:59 PM

As a welder myself, I disagree with the two previous posters saying that the ugly welds hold. The question is though, what are those welds doing.

If that is a threaded joint for adjustability (what it looks like given the overall construction, looks very similar to IronMan 4x4 Fab's arms) then 2 things. 1, I cant figure out why it is welded, and 2, the welds are pretty much pointless, unless they couldn't find a jam nut!?!?!. And it shouldn't be anything to worry about.
If its not (or more so no longer) a threaded joint and those welds are in any way structural, I would cease all driving of the jeep immediately.

My best guess (being nice to the PO) was he had those arms without drop brackets, got drop brackets, and couldn't adjust the arms short enough with the jam nut, so he ditched the jam nut and welded it instead using a cheapo stick welder he doesn't know how to use. If that is the case don't worry about it.

Other that that, I am not a fan of the rear bumper, but I love the chop job. I always had a soft spot for chopped cherokees.

Project_Sparta 05-06-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugsucka (Post 11493241)
I bet the rear leaf is stiffer than... well I hope you fillings are in good
Pay much? I'd make sure the alignment is adequate and find a local jeeper to look it over with you to ID the good bad and ugly.

If that's your young lady you have a pretty good reason to ensure you won't death wobble yourself and her into an accident.

Well the rear is really not that stiff... but then again i came from a 94 yj that everytime i hit a pebble i felt it.

and not really,,, they were asking $5k for it, i pretty much traded straight up with my YJ.. I really didnt want to but my tranny, water pump, oil pump and a list of other things were going out.,

And my daughter loves my jeeps :2thumbsup: she always loves riding with me. but i will take it to a shop this week and have someone look at everything. Thanks

Project_Sparta 05-06-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettles (Post 11493479)
My best guess (being nice to the PO) was he had those arms without drop brackets, got drop brackets, and couldn't adjust the arms short enough with the jam nut, so he ditched the jam nut and welded it instead using a cheapo stick welder he doesn't know how to use. If that is the case don't worry about it.

Other that that, I am not a fan of the rear bumper, but I love the chop job. I always had a soft spot for chopped cherokees.

Thanks I will look into it. I was going to buy this XJ about 3 years ago but someone beat me to it, but when i seen it for sale again I jumped on it. The owner of the lot said the guy who had it beat the piss out of it, that he had to replace alot of front end parts... so I probably should go get a alignment check. :cheers2:

The time now is 09:32 AM.