Lets have a discussion! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lets have a discussion!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

View Poll Results: Which Jeep?
TJ Wrangler 2 10.53%
XJ Cherokee 17 89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lets have a discussion!

I am currently in a dilemma, I Just got rid of my Project God "XJ" which was rather a bit to radical for Daily Driving duties. I traded for a TJ which is perfect in every aspect of daily driving and slight wheeling. With that said, I simply dont have enough room in the TJ for my whole gang "Wife, Son, and Dog" plus our gear. Which is a compromise we knew that we got into from the get go, I am here asking to an in depth discussion of the pros/cons of both the XJ and TJ. The reason this has been brought up is because I have an opportunity to get back into an XJ with a well built XJ that is Daily Driver worthy, but I am trying to make the best overall decision for the long run.

TJ Wrangler
Pros:
*Topless/Doorless
*Amazing turning radius
*Tons of aftermarket support
*Frame
Cons:
**Lack of Room**
**Everyone has one
**I dont like the rear coils much...

XJ Cherokee
Pros:
*TONS of room
*I have allot more experience with XJs
*Plus I like the look
Cons:
**No resale value
**Harder to find parts
**Unibody

With these pros/cons listed in my quick brainstorming, I figured I would post 2 photos of each Jeeps to help my case.

97 XJ Cherokee

02 TJ Wrangler

Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

The family aspect is why I'd never consider a wrangler (except a 4 door jk)

That cherokee looks nice
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Been in your dilemma before, started with an XJ, owned a TJ and then quickly moved back into an XJ.

Same boat, I love to wheel but when I do I take my wife, daughter and sometimes dog. That just would not happen in the TJ no matter how creative I got. The cool factor of the TJ was nice, and having a frame was comforting. The XJ never gets its due respect from a lot of TJ owners, but it is easily the most respected "other Jeep".

Honestly I had a YJ and a TJ and never grew fond of the short wheelbase in almost any scenario. I load up my XJ with the family and all my gear for a weekend stay very easily, hell we even sleep in it lol.

Ultimately it comes down to what you need from a rig. I know XJ resale value will never be close to a TJ but in my situation I could care less. That just translated into a cheaper buy-in price and I dont intend to ever sell it anyway.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have to agree that while low resale value may be a problem if you're parting company with an XJ, it's a great benefit if you're looking to purchase one and hang on to it.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I have to agree that while low resale value may be a problem if you're parting company with an XJ, it's a great benefit if you're looking to purchase one and hang on to it.

I have always had XJs this TJ is my first, I will be trading for the one in the pictures above! I love the barter system!
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't care about resale value im going to be buried in my XJ
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

^ I like this idea!

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluff28 View Post
I don't care about resale value im going to be buried in my XJ
I already did the buried alive in my XJ, wife and army almost killed me. Now that I am not going to Europe I am some what free again. That is how I ended up with this TJ in the first place.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Other than the "cool" factor of an easily removable top and doors I really see very little benefit of a TJ over an XJ.

Only real pros to it are better aftermarket support and rear coil suspension. Frame is debatable for benefits, and who cares about a slightly better turning radius? Just means it's easier to roll.

Other than that you lose the room inside and on top, much shorter wheelbase, parts are more expensive, it's less secure from theft and break ins, ect. Also in most cases the up front cost of flat out purchasing a TJ or Wrangler in general is absurd. I still see YJs around here with tons of rust, 4 bangers, and a million miles on them for $5k. If I were single and money wasn't a big factor then I'd probably get a TJ if it was more daily driver than something I was going to wheel a ton.

I think your average built TJ is cooler than your cookie cutter average built XJ builds, but no TJ I've ever seen compares to some built XJs I've seen over the years on NAXJA and Pirate.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the input guys, some of yall may remember my previous XJ build... I took a rather huge downgrade trading for this TJ but it has driven to and from work flawlessly the last month. I have gone on a few short 200+ mile trips that where mainly highway and I must say it rides AMAZING compare to almost every XJ I have had/rode in. I am really thinking about trading the TJ for the XJ in the pics above.

I have had 4x total XJs all but my first have gone OVER the TOP... I guess I need to control my mod hunger!
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
Thanks for the input guys, some of yall may remember my previous XJ build... I took a rather huge downgrade trading for this TJ but it has driven to and from work flawlessly the last month. I have gone on a few short 200+ mile trips that where mainly highway and I must say it rides AMAZING compare to almost every XJ I have had/rode in. I am really thinking about trading the TJ for the XJ in the pics above.

I have had 4x total XJs all but my first have gone OVER the TOP... I guess I need to control my mod hunger!
Keep the TJ as is, buy a cheap beater XJ to mod the hell out of?
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Keep the TJ as is, buy a cheap beater XJ to mod the hell out of?
Wife would kill me if I spent more $ on a Jeep.
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
tonyprestonxj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The tj is pretty nice looking but xjs defiantly have more room. And if you have an opportunity to get into a nice build xj I'd go for it. The xj is pretty sweet lookin. Defiantly more of a daily driver then your precious xj
tonyprestonxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun

Wife would kill me if I spent more $ on a Jeep.

Just get it.
Also do it right god seemed hacked in some ways.

Sent from my xj
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Being in a family of Jeeps, mostly Wranglers (2 TJs on JKU) and me being an XJ guy, Ive driven both and used them pretty much all equally. In your case a XJ would be better, mainly due to your kid. I have a 7 year old sister and the XJ is a lot better hauling her around. Its just too much work getting her in the back seat of a TJ when the top is up.

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.