lessons leanred... got took on this jeep deal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > lessons leanred... got took on this jeep deal

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-05-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
paroxysym
2007 WK 

lessons leanred... got took on this jeep deal

so i bought a 95 xj alittle under a month ago. seemed like a nice buy, had around 104k on it, sport, 4wd, 4 door, no issues with paint, needed a new cat and that was about it. already had a set of 30s on it and a BB. so i fixed what i knew were probs for inspection, like the cat and some other small items. well failed state inspection with a nice laundry list of issues... motor mount, no reverse lights, cracked manifold, battery tray, fuel fulter clamp, track bar bushing/bolt issue, and small stuff(missing lug nut, new wipers)..

so start dishing money out for the manifold, and the motor mount. i chalked the no reverse lights up to a bad fuse or the trailer harness the p.o. had installed. no dice, so have it looked at and its the NSS. so $450 to replace that. bought an adj trackbar for it and its the wrong one the manufacturer sent me. so yea no i have a nice paper weight.

i dont have the time to mess with the NSS as i know there is a write up. so i $2500 jeep, turns into a $1500+ jeep. im mechanically inclined, but with limited time to work on her i have to take it to get some of the work done. sucks.... sucks even more i bought a new 3" lift(well the leaf packs/coils, adj. trackbar) and a set of polished moabs w/ mtrs on them just sitting waiting for install. who knows when that will be.

Unread 11-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
XJohnnyC

Sorry to hear about the problems with the new Jeep. But you say that you have limited time to work on it. Yet you buy a 14 year old Jeep? Did you just think you were going to buy it and drive it?

I bought my 92 Comanche back in May. And I've been working on it ever since. But I knew what I was getting myself into. I actually enjoy working on it, but I have to admit, I've dumped an awful lot of money into the pit. But overall, I love it.

Good luck with the project.

BTW, $450 to replace the NSS?? Wow.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC View Post
Sorry to hear about the problems with the new Jeep. But you say that you have limited time to work on it. Yet you buy a 14 year old Jeep? Did you just think you were going to buy it and drive it?

I bought my 92 Comanche back in May. And I've been working on it ever since. But I knew what I was getting myself into. I actually enjoy working on it, but I have to admit, I've dumped an awful lot of money into the pit. But overall, I love it.

Good luck with the project.

BTW, $450 to replace the NSS?? Wow.
you have a point... when i originally went and looked at it, i didnt see anything but the usual stuff wrong that would need fixing. i dont know, i guess your right.... its a project. just wish repair money would go towards mod money
Unread 11-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
XJohnnyC

I hear you there.

Every time I need to replace a mechanical part, I always think, "Damn, I could've spent the money on this or that".

XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

and the other problem...you live in MD. one of THE worst states to get a vehicle inspected in. granted you only have to do it once, but that first time requires you to bed over and bring your own lube of choice. my brother went through heck getting his brand new truck (only a few months out of the factory) inspected in MD.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchVA View Post
and the other problem...you live in MD. one of THE worst states to get a vehicle inspected in. granted you only have to do it once, but that first time requires you to bed over and bring your own lube of choice. my brother went through heck getting his brand new truck (only a few months out of the factory) inspected in MD.
oh trust me i know... its rediculous
Unread 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno Fitch, I bought my Jeep in VA with a 3" lift, 32's and a leaky radiator. It was dripping coolant at the shop where I got it inspected and the guy was finished and passed it in a few hours. Granted, my dad knew the guy, but it still didn't seem that hard.

Oh, and for $450, I would have found time to take off the NSS and clean it out. That is crazy!

A lot of the stuff on your list to fix could be an excuse for mods or upgrades. Get M.O.R.E. motor mounts, a new adjustable trackbar and bracket, tubular exhaust manifold, and an optima battery with a nice bracket. Think positive
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
A lot of the stuff on your list to fix could be an excuse for mods or upgrades. Get M.O.R.E. motor mounts, a new adjustable trackbar and bracket, tubular exhaust manifold, and an optima battery with a nice bracket. Think positive
well when i did the cat i redid the whole exhaust and i got an APN manifold, and threw a flowmaster 40 series on there with 2.5" pipe. i was going to do the adjustable trackbar but im not going any bigger than 2-2.5" so i didnt get one. the optima would be a good idea. i had the shop just do a stock motor mount. its a daily driver so i want it to ride fairly nice.
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
I dunno Fitch, I bought my Jeep in VA with a 3" lift, 32's and a leaky radiator. It was dripping coolant at the shop where I got it inspected and the guy was finished and passed it in a few hours. Granted, my dad knew the guy, but it still didn't seem that hard.
put it this way, he bought a chevy colorado from a dealership in MD, but at the time, he was living in va. about 2 months later, he went moved to MD and needed to reregisister it in MD. failed for several things. it was friggin brand new. stuff like no mudflaps (on a stock 4x4 chevy colorado!)
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchVA View Post
put it this way, he bought a chevy colorado from a dealership in MD, but at the time, he was living in va. about 2 months later, he went moved to MD and needed to reregisister it in MD. failed for several things. it was friggin brand new. stuff like no mudflaps (on a stock 4x4 chevy colorado!)
yep... its pathetic up here.. stupid stuff gets you flagged. ah well, just got the total bill for todays work. she is ready for round 2 of inspection
Unread 11-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
tahoevicxj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

wow that really sucks. where we live we've never had to get our cars inspected, but that's only for our town if you live over the mountain you have to get it inspected. Not sure why i would think it would be more strict since we live right next to a lake.
1.25 wheel spacers spidertrax
tires 245 75 16 rubi moabs
snow tires 235
K&N intake, flowmaster delta 50, and other small mods
tahoevicxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im sorry you guys. i have no mud flaps. no fender flares, a rusty battery tray, possibly cracked manifold, havent replaced my wipers in ages, i dont use them, etc MOVE OUT WEST. it will solve all your problems. + more wheelin opportunites

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #13
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funinmud View Post
im sorry you guys. i have no mud flaps. no fender flares, a rusty battery tray, possibly cracked manifold, havent replaced my wipers in ages, i dont use them, etc MOVE OUT WEST. it will solve all your problems. + more wheelin opportunites
My battery tray is plastic...

Yeah, I guess you just have to know people so its not a problem to get stuff inspected. I can't even imagine failing for no mud flaps, thats just rediculous.
Unread 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

...but at least a jeep won't sue for divorce.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote here NOW in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #15
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

they're pretty slack here in NC. granted, I go to a buddy for inspections, but still, I don't think we really have any strict rules other than no CEL and visual checks for a cat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.