Lebaron Hood Vents & TPS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Lebaron Hood Vents & TPS

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
billabongopblue
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lebaron Hood Vents & TPS

To inform everyone who has or is thinking about Lebaron Hood Vents, you may need to reconsider.

Since they have been installed on my 96 Classic in June 2011 I have been through 6 TPS sensors. Yes, 6. Thankfully they are under warranty, but i will be soon thinking of something to fix this issue for the future.

Unread 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok... So what's the correlation ?
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
billabongopblue
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The correlation is that the sensor gets wet and needs to be replaced.
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The TPS sensor is a bit sensitive to moisture. I wonder if there is anything that can be done about that (like say, drip pans). Wonder how much dilectric grease would help.

Have you guys ever pulled a bad one apart? its a strip of plastic, with 2 contacts. They usually wear out a spot in the middle from the throttle staying in one small area.
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm, yah i have a hard time believing in less than 1 year that 6 could go bad JUST from having hood vents. Did you keep exchanging these sensors "under warranty"? Where from?
How were you sure that the TPS was the problem?
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If your getting your TPS from autozone or napa or something your already dealing with an inferior sensor. Anytime your buying a sensor for your jeep its highly recommended you buy OEM from the stealership.

That said, I would believe you. Both times I cleaned my engine bay the TPS went bad, and I have had multiple friends have theirs go bad after water under the hood. This is a big reason I'm not jumping on the hood vent band wagon until I find a good way to make drip pans or silicon a lot of stuff under the hood.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've had the LeBaron vents on my jeep for at least a year, driving in rain, gotten snow on the motor and haven't had a single issue at all with sensors going bad. I seriously doubt you got 6 bad sensors, seriously.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did you grease them? Also whered you get them?
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGoaty View Post
If your getting your TPS from autozone or napa or something your already dealing with an inferior sensor. Anytime your buying a sensor for your jeep its highly recommended you buy OEM from the stealership.

That said, I would believe you. Both times I cleaned my engine bay the TPS went bad, and I have had multiple friends have theirs go bad after water under the hood. This is a big reason I'm not jumping on the hood vent band wagon until I find a good way to make drip pans or silicon a lot of stuff under the hood.
Knock on wood, but my Advance TPS has been trucking along fine for a year... Those Chinese fellows get something right out of the factory once and a while.
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've had the RunCool vents in my hood for at least 3 years, which let in a ton of water and snow and whatever else. Still have the stock TPS in there.
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's rained nonstop here the last few days, and i see that my TPS is directly in the path of the vent...so I'll be updating if i have issues.
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It rained like nuts here last night..I went out and started my Jeep about 2 hours after and it was fine. I have the same vents at GtiKyle..
,(●)_),,,,,,(●)_)--o-)_) ,,, 2000 XJ - 4.5" w/ LA's & Locked on 32's
Metro55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For what it's worth.. it probably wouldn't be to hard to make a bracket that mounts to the existing TB bolts, and then make something that comes up and over the TPS to block it from the downfall of water..

Unread 03-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
christianbe
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I just covered my TPS up with a small piece of aluminum flashing that directs anything coming through my vents away.
christianbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #15
Metro55
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just rigged this up tonight.. uses the throttle body bolt locations...this should suffice...and just **** ****s I made a MAP cover too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.