Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Learned alot over the last few weeks

462 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Letterman52 
#1 ·
Recently I decided it was time to address my vanishing coolant issue.While I was going to be in there I decided to get rid of my cracked manifold,a 99+ intake,62mm throttle body and upgraded injectors were also going to be installed. I would decide the fate of the head once it was off.

Dissassembly went fairly smooth.One of the air box bolts snapped but no big deal.Then we get to the kickdown cable. That 16 year old plastic did not not like having any other pressure on it but straight back.Good thing we have a vast array of expoxies to choose from these days and was able to get it glued back together and is holding strong.Everything else went smooth and was finished in about 4 hours.Once the head was cleaned up I examined it for cracks which I found none.At this point I decided to take the head to the local machine shop.The guy told me about $300 and a week and a half to get it done.

One week later I get the call.Your head is done.Pick it up the next day.He rings me up and says $230 dollars please.Turns out the valve guides were in minty condition.Hard to believe with 156,000 on her.

Time to assemble,Everything went well, managed to only break the fan shroud.Also ended up putting another $300 or so into all the other parts I hadn't thought about.Mangled up my cat a bit trying to get the front pipe out of it as that was getting replaced also.I ended up using a sawzall to cut the front pipe off and then carefully cut a slit in the piece stuck in the cat.Wish I would have done this from the start.It came out within seconds of cutting the slit.

Time to turn the key and start it,fires right up,

and revs right up all on its own.S@#T
Well to make a long story short the intake wasn't seated quite enough.When started it would rev up to 4 grand and then drop to 3
Well its taken care of and it runs stronger then ever

So, three things if you have to tackle this job also.

1 Make sure your intake is seated all the way.Go around and tighten the bolts 3 or 4 times to make sure its sitting right

2 A sawzall is your friend when doing exhaust work.Cut carefully

3 Be extra careful with the plastic pieces under there.With age and temp extremes they get brittle.

Here's the finished product just need to clean it up a bit.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.