Late 90s Cherokee Purchasing Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Late 90s Cherokee Purchasing Questions

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
MikeW89

Late 90s Cherokee Purchasing Questions

I'm looking to buy my first Jeep and I'd like to get 1990s Cherokee. I've found a number of them in my price range with anywhere from 85k to 180k miles on them. My question is what kinds of parts should I be on the lookout for that break on older Cherokees to make sure they have been replaced? One of the best options I found is a 1998 Cherokee with 90k miles, but it is listed at over $1,000 above the KBB (they want $6,000 vs KBB value of $4,750). It seems well-maintained, but I don't think it could be worth that much over the KBB. What parts should I be asking about that might or might not have been changed to influence that price?

Thanks!

MikeW89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy
Web Wheeler

1992 XJ Cherokee 

There really isn't a ton of stuff that routinely breaks on these things - it's a big part of the reason why we love them!

Find out what they have as far as maintenance records, ask them about the last time it had brakes, a tune up, trans / transfer case / differential fluids, etc. The seller's responses to questions like that should give you a good idea of how well they really took care of it.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds high but if it's rust free and runs good, make an offer.
I like my 98. I've had it 6 yrs. The coil died once and stranded me. Ground strap on the engine corroded away and gave me fits. A/C has never been right. Other than that, just routine stuff - tune ups, brakes, tires, exhaust.
It the upgrades you want to do that hurt financially the most!!
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
There really isn't a ton of stuff that routinely breaks on these things - it's a big part of the reason why we love them!

- Justin
Except the center console latch!
Unread 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Blue book value is meaningless and XJ's typically run high in VA. For the last few years anyway.
Unread 11-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
amerbritcan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Except the center console latch!
Mine lasted fine for 15 years before I owned it. Lasted about 15 minutes into my ownership (ok maybe a couple hours.

Was a real "well, f***" moment hahaha
Unread 11-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The only suggestion I have is get the best one out there that you can afford.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
buying a jeep , buying advice , cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.