Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Trailing Arms!JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #61
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittyman View Post
Clean look with the Sirius!

And... PICS! Before and After 2" shackles
I haven't taken and pics or measurements yet. I had two old computer monitors I finally dropped off at Goodwill today and I've yet to bring in the 40 lb bucket of cat litter and 3 boxes of cat food in the back.

Once I get the crap emptied out, I'll see what the tape measure says. Before I ordered the shackles, it was sitting 1˝" low in the back. The shackles are adjustable for 1˝" and 2" but I went ahead and bumped them up to 2" because from what I know about shackles, they'll only actually give about half that much lift.

We'll see. Maybe tomorrow.

Unread 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #62
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

dude look at the sagging leaf spring! change that!

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #63
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had the other side jacked up or something when I took that pic. They're really not that bad!
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #64
lk123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

looks nice, but not so fun something i gotta do hopefully this summer
93 2wd pos xj sport *sold*
89 nissan 240sx *wrecked*-03 Cbr954rr *traded*
2nd 89 nissan 240sx *sold*
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #65
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

This will definitely help when I go to put on my shackles on Friday.

You have a very clean lookin XJ. And I'm jealous of your Aussie.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #66
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk123 View Post
looks nice, but not so fun something i gotta do hopefully this summer
Yeah, stock is boring but this is primarily a daily driver so I'm trying to keep from getting carried away. I'm going to add some skid plates and rock rails and that should be it until I need tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_Sailor View Post
This will definitely help when I go to put on my shackles on Friday.

You have a very clean lookin XJ. And I'm jealous of your Aussie.
Good luck with your install. Make sure you've got a good 4' or so pry bar to wiggle the springs around and maybe a few pieces of scrap 4x4 to help out.

My rig does have some missing paint but it's from rocks thrown on the interstate and people that don't know how to parallel park. Everything else I own is rough so I'm trying to keep my XJ nice.

I'm really anxious to get a feel for what this Aussie will do and how much it will help make up for the fact that I'm running street tires. My club's got a trail run on Jan 30th so I'll know soon enough!
Unread 01-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #67
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The locker came today. I was going to put it in tonight but I drive over and use my Dad's garage for my projects most of the time and tonight he was finishing up a landscaping trailer so I'll go Friday night.
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #68
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've put in a Lockright before and because in my truck a mild TBI 350 + 35s + 250,000 mile-old 10-bolt = randomly exploding spider gears and a failed Lockright, I'm very familiar with how to disassemble the guts of a rear diff.

The Aussie Locker took 2˝ hours to install in my XJ. The only part that was in any way tricky was getting the passenger side C-clip in and the pinion shaft reinstalled. A big blob of bearing grease held the C-clip where it needed to be while I used a flat screw driver to put it around the axle shaft. It took a quite a bit of wiggling around the axle shaft via the wheel to get the cap to seat over the last C-clip once it was installed. The only other difficult thing was filling the diff once everything was back together. I've really got to find a trick for that.

My impressions so far are compared to my experience with a Lockright in a Silverado with an 8' bed and 35s. I think the longer wheelbase, wider track and larger tire size played a big role in making the locker feel invisible on the street for that rig. With it, there's no such thing as a sharp turn. It literally has approximately the same turning radius as a school bus, for whatever reason. Also 35s turn a lot fewer revolutions to cover the same distance as 29s. That led to a lot less ratcheting of the locker.

No weird clicks or bangs. Maybe a little bit of understeer but I know I'll be used to it in a couple days. It'll see trail use a week from today.
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #69
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Today after work I rebuilt the rear divider I'd made a while back to keep everything from sliding around. I've also got 4 D-rings I want to add to the floor to be able to really secure everything. The divider won't be fastened down like some of the other storage solutions you've seen but it will be incorporated inside the tie-down configuration with the installation of the new D-rings.

The layout of everything is so a cooler fits between the tool box and the wheel well like before but I added a couple other pieces so nothing slides even when the cooler is out. It's also much lower than the original version to facilitate easier removal of the toolbox and the cooler. Everything except the soft-sided lunch box, the bottle jack and the 12v air compressor fit into the toolbox but I didn't fool with cleaning things up yet.

Now just to prime and paint!

*edit* - I went to mix up my primer and apparently it froze and cracked the plastic bucket. Plus the battery for my drill to mix it with is still dead from my last junkyard run. Guess I'll have a beer and wait on it to charge.

Last edited by Kevin108; 01-25-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #70
99jeeper

Lol...nice I had to fix my exhaust the same way.
99jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #71
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I bought some fresh primer today. I primed and painted tonight. It'll take me tomorrow night to get the final coat on though.

Last edited by Kevin108; 01-26-2010 at 10:07 PM..
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #72
coalregionXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

they have dingaling in VA??? i live 5 mins from the town thats makes it here we call it pottsville piss water lol , i love lager!
32's mastercraft courser mt's
homemade snorkel
"hold my beer and watch this
coalregionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #73
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I remember back in '99 it finally made it's way down to Frederick, MD and all the places were advertising the "NEW BEER"... It's one of my favorites I miss PA
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #74
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Since it's been cold I've really enjoyed the Black and Tan but we had a little throw-down Saturday and I still had a couple cans of the plain jane left that I killed waiting on paint to dry. I wish I could get straight Porter from them. It would probably be as good as everything else they make.

Unread 01-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #75
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did you know that Sam Adams makes a limited edition beer that is 27% alcohol called Utopias? I learned about that on my cruise during a beer tasting Also learned that Guiness only has like 4.1%. Anyone want anymore fun beer, martini, or wine facts
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.