Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #526
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My roof basket came today. Doing some minor mods prior to final assembly and installation.

Unread 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #527
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't like how the extension for the Curt basket didn't full integrate so I bought some 1/2" steel tubing and made sleeves to fully fit the 3 pieces together.

Mounted it a few days ago.

Used the thick plastic mounting blocks between the bars to make my Hi-Lift mount.
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #528
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've still got my spare in the stock location. Today I finally mounted something I threw together a few weeks ago.

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #529
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking basket Kev. That should hold most of what you want to put up there. Are you thinking of carrying your tire up top or leaving it in the stock location? With some minor fab work you could probably get it to fit secure up top. That would free up some space inside for a bigger cooler.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #530
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to leave the spare where it is. The way my cargo area is setup, everything has a place and heavy tie downs. Not worth messing with a good thing!

Unread 04-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #531
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I'm going to leave the spare where it is. The way my cargo area is setup, everything has a place and heavy tie downs. Not worth messing with a good thing!

Other than the Hi-Lift, I don't plan to keep anything in or on the basket day to day.
Perfect, looks like you have everything tucked in there nicely. Like you said, no sense in messin with a good thing.
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #532
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Other than the Hi-Lift, I don't plan to keep anything in or on the basket day to day. It's funny how my randomly acquired items fit so perfectly back there. The cooler I bought in the early 2000s and the tool box I found in a defunct automotive shop I was boarding up. It's sitting on a cheap tool kit I bought nearly 10 year ago. At the time, I kept it in my Corolla just to have some tools with me at all times. I trimmed up a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the top of the toolbox over the handle to make a flat surface for the other two tool kits to sit on. Secured behind the cooler between the seat is another small tool bag, a plastic container with bungee cords, and a heavy canvas sack with a mile of ratchet straps. Tucked in here and there are a couple flashlights, a tennis ball for the antenna, jumper cables, and a toiletries/first aid bag. That's not even beginning to get into the tool box or under the seat. The bad thing is I'm noticing my bastard pack is starting to flatten out. I'll be looking for some S-10 spring packs soon. I'd like to install some shackle relocation boxes then too.
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #533
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah, I also did an oil change today. First time since I swapped in the second engine. I think I did change the filter once. I made the jump to Rotella since so many here swear by it. Also swapped in another computer to see if I can eliminate my no bus issues. If the problem continues now, I'm getting someone to put a professional scanner on it.
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #534
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Other than the Hi-Lift, I don't plan to keep anything in or on the basket day to day. It's funny how my randomly acquired items fit so perfectly back there. The cooler I bought in the early 2000s and the tool box I found in a defunct automotive shop I was boarding up. It's sitting on a cheap tool kit I bought nearly 10 year ago. At the time, I kept it in my Corolla just to have some tools with me at all times. I trimmed up a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the top of the toolbox over the handle to make a flat surface for the other two tool kits to sit on. Secured behind the cooler between the seat is another small tool bag, a plastic container with bungee cords, and a heavy canvas sack with a mile of ratchet straps. Tucked in here and there are a couple flashlights, a tennis ball for the antenna, jumper cables, and a toiletries/first aid bag. That's not even beginning to get into the tool box or under the seat. The bad thing is I'm noticing my bastard pack is starting to flatten out. I'll be looking for some S-10 spring packs soon.
Haha, awesome. I was wondering what that orange box was, now I know. Very cool. Sounds like you have just about everything you need. Go Prepared is my moto as well.

I had to build a bastard pack last year. I used several leafs out of an F250 rear spring pack. We camp out of our jeeps all the time so I carry between 400 and 600 pounds of extra weight on a regular basis. There is routinely 350lbs in my roof rack alone. It's amazing what you can do with a couple well placed leafs. A couple inches of lift and still a nice ride.
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #535
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Camping out of my Jeep was part of the reason I wanted a roof basket. My wife and I have a couple tents and other accoutrements but I like crashing out in the back of the XJ in cold weather or rain. I wanted a place I could stack all my stuff, including the back seat bottom, and secure a tarp over it in inclement weather. I can either carry a folding table in the basket or just stack everything in the basket itself.

I made a filler for the cargo area that adds 14" of floor behind the seats. The seat back lays completely flat with only slight pressure. Slide the front seats forward, remove the back seat bottom, and place this in the floor. This setup makes for around 6' of room in the cargo area except behind the center console. I've slept like a baby the times I've used this.

Unread 04-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #536
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Camping out of my Jeep was part of the reason I wanted a roof basket. My wife and I have a couple tents and other accoutrements but I like crashing out in the back of the XJ in cold weather or rain. I wanted a place I could stack all my stuff, including the back seat bottom, and secure a tarp over it in inclement weather. I can either carry a folding table in the basket or just stack everything in the basket itself.

I made a filler for the cargo area that adds 14" of floor behind the seats. The seat back lays completely flat with only slight pressure. Slide the front seats forward, remove the back seat bottom, and place this in the floor. This setup makes for around 6' of room in the cargo area except behind the center console. I've slept like a baby the times I've used this.

Hey, great idea. I'm a short bast### and I can't even sleep comfortably in the back of my XJ. At little padding and a vinyl fabric and that could make a perfect place to put your pillows.

You will love the roof rack. I can see you putting lots of your camping stuff up there. Maybe in water tight bags or something. I have a couple of bags like this. They are completely waterproof and are perfect for bedding and extra clothes. Then a couple small/medium action packers for food and cookwear.

Unread 04-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #537
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My exhaust is being installed now. I talked them down $38 to begin with. Now I'm anxious to see what kind of trick they use to route the tailpipe successfully between the lift shackle and gas tank skid.
Unread 04-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #538
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They did a nice job! Everything is nice and firm and nothing wiggles against anything it shouldn't. I took my wife to lunch and didn't have enough cash to give the installer a tip but I'll probably carry them a box of donuts Friday morning.

I'm both surprised and relieved at how quiet the Dynomax Super Turbo is on the 4.0. I was willing to live with a little more sound for a little better performance and to get rid of the broken exhaust hangers and the muffler that was nearly rusted through. At WOT the fan makes more noise than the exhaust. The muffler simply emits a mellow, low tone. It was definitely a great choice.

Unread 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #539
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am working on restoring the pics to my build thread. I've got the first two pages done so far. It's going to take some time, but I'll get them there.
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #540
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Took a couple days, but all the pic links are repaired.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.