Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #481
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm glad your putting it back together. Keep up the good work. Any thoughts on maybe adding a steel bumper?

Unread 09-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #482
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not really. I don't like the look of stock flares and most aftermarket bumpers. The ones I like the look of, I don't like the price of.
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #483
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Not really. I don't like the look of stock flares and most aftermarket bumpers. The ones I like the look of, I don't like the price of.
Hah, isnt that the truth
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #484
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I could find a used one, I'd go for a Detours Tailbone. New, I'll never have one. As cool as it is, it's just not a $300 part to me when whole bumpers can be had in a similar price range.

Here's a shot of srmitchell's Rigidco front bumper. The profile is great, just the sides are wrong.

To satisfy me, an aftermarket bumper needs to extend to the inside of the stock flare then match the angle through the bumper. Super simple, but I've never seen a bumper built like that.
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #485
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mines damn close but I don't have stock flares on it anymore.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #486
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yesterday I charged the battery then installed the serpentine belt, mechanical fan shroud, a new tensioner bolt, my homebrew transmission cooler brackets, tested the lights, and started moving mounting hardware to the new header panel.

Unread 09-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #487
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

looking great! she's coming back to life!
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #488
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

One setback I hit was lack of easy availability of the "headlamp bezel nuts." I finally located 10 at NAPA and was able to reuse 6 of my originals. NAPA part # BK 6651311, if you're looking.

Once I got those, I was able to preassemble the new header panel.

I bent the hood down a little more after this shot. I'll replace it when I come across one but it's fine for now.

I brought it home from Dad's at that point to fit the bumper and install the fog lights. I had grabbed a free front bumper off a 95 a while back. I was unaware of it at the time, but the 84-96 bumpers have a different profile than the 97-01s. The older bumpers have a 90 lip that fastens to the mount where the newer bumpers are just C-shaped. The internal width, however, is virtually identical. I pulled out my Sawzall and notched the lip for the mounts on my 2000. I drilled new top and bottom holes where they needed to be and after that the older bumper bolted up just fine. I drilled two holes to reinstall the vacuum ball and tagged the license plate mount down with self-tappers.

I used 4 self-tappers to tag down the bumper end caps. I could have cut slots to match to the plastic tabs but it hardly seemed worth it.

The next morning I notched the new grille and reinstalled my seemingly-indestructible fog lights.

This was the parts pile except for the old header panel.

This is going to be a winter art project to be hung up somewhere I see it often as a reminder to quit being a *******.

I figure things are at about 90% now. I still need to align the headlights, check the alignment, see why the steering wheel is clocked funny, and fix the blend doors that have quit working for some reason. I'll grab another hood at some point but for now, I'm just glad to be rolling again.
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #489
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was having some engine starting issues where it was turning over with great effort and very slowly. I started with what was definitely an issue: the corroded positive cable. Multiple strands were split away and you can see the corrosion going inside the lug as well.

I bought a new 38" cable for the starter. I added a longer 5/16" bolt for the terminal. I cut off the 18" wire for the PDC and added a lug so I could tie it back in with a second nut on the longer bolt.

I then had the battery load tested and it was determined to be bad. It's only 2 years old so I'll go tomorrow and see what level of replacement it qualifies for. I also aimed my headlights again for the new header panel. Once this nonsense is out of the way, maybe I'll be able to get into fixing the blend door. Maybe some day I'll get to the bottom of my no_bus issue as well. I'm going to keep my eye out for another computer just to try. The one I have now is making the ScanGauge do strange things.
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #490
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My slow start issue I've been fighting is from a bad cell in a Duralast battery. It's only putting out a little less than half of the cold cranking amps. It had a 2 year warranty and it's not even two months past that. A direct replacement is now $100. This was a $60 battery just two years ago! The 5-year replacement is $120.

As I was looking at prices, it then occurred to me that it's foolish to buy the same crappy battery again. Interstate batteries came to mind as something I've heard recommended so I looked up prices on those. $120 on the low end, up to $280.

Then I looked up Optima prices on Amazon. They used to be expensive, remember? $144 for a red top with free shipping. Done!

Unread 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #491
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah these batteries are alot more reasonable now-a-days I went to wal-mart and bought a CHAMPION battery (worst mistake ever) but I spent a 117 on that thing I should have just paid 40 more for optima
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #492
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a good buy on the Optima! Had a red top in my 02 Z71, never failed me. My battery failed recently and I almost pulled out the wallet until I realized it was under warranty. The PO equipped it with a 800cca Everstart Max, had been a great battery until it randomly failed one day. Wally World replaced it under warranty, but I woulda been out just over 100 bucks otherwise. Got lucky.

Anyhoo, glad to see the Jeep back together. I feel your build is truly unique here, not often does JeepForum get an XJ owner so concerned with overall fit/finish and attention to detail, that still leaves the pavement and uses their Jeep as a way to just get out there.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #493
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ahhh, that's better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Anyhoo, glad to see the Jeep back together. I feel your build is truly unique here, not often does JeepForum get an XJ owner so concerned with overall fit/finish and attention to detail, that still leaves the pavement and uses their Jeep as a way to just get out there.
Thanks for the kind words! Most of my career is trim/finish work and I guess I naturally extend that to my vehicles. I want to just develop the "**** it" attitude a lot of other XJ owners have, especially since my wreck, but even now I'm just going to wind up getting a new hood when I find one cheap then I'll go back to trying to pretty everything back up. The end caps need fresh paint. The header panel and front bumper are black. The straight rear bumper I want to swap in is black. It's just going to take time to get to it all.

I don't have a huge build/wheeling budget so I try to keep it simple and keep it cheap. I'd love to be able to go ridiculous with my build but then it would be pointless as it's supposed to be a fuel-efficient DD. The fuel efficiency's been fine. Now if only I could keep it parts-efficient...
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #494
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes I am so over this Jeep. Yesterday I was forced to do a search for "2000 Cherokee 4.0 won't rev past 3,000 rpm" I found a solution, but how the other guy found a solution baffles me and the fact that it means electrical gremlins are now entering in the equation has me ready to write a rough draft for a Craigslist ad.

http://www.xjsocal.com/showthread.ph...f-power....etc if anyone is interested.
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #495
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Then I looked up Optima prices on Amazon. They used to be expensive, remember? $144 for a red top with free shipping. Done!
Amazon is the shiznit! Seriously, you can find nearly anything and everything you need - cross reference part #'s, Prime gets you free 2 day shipping - bam, at your door fast and cheaper than anywhere else.

Quote:
Sometimes I am so over this Jeep. Yesterday I was forced to do a search for "2000 Cherokee 4.0 won't rev past 3,000 rpm" I found a solution, but how the other guy found a solution baffles me and the fact that it means electrical gremlins are now entering in the equation has me ready to write a rough draft for a Craigslist ad.
Electrical gremlins, , it took me a solid week to track down and fix a short I was having with my rear passenger lights. Finally found the problem was in the bundle inside the rubber boot at the top of the liftgate.

Luckily I wasn't having "driveability" electrical issues.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.