Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #391
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I need to make some headway on some sliders soon, those look really good. You are like the only person with any significant build update in a while, weathers gettin everybody down I guess haha.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #392
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT
I need to make some headway on some sliders soon, those look really good. You are like the only person with any significant build update in a while, weathers gettin everybody down I guess haha.
Errrrmahhhhgawd look at my build

Sent from under my broken Heep
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #393
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
I'm liking how your jeep is turning out. Starting to remind me of my own. Just a matter of time before you go long arms and stick a winch up there.....
Thanks dude! Funny you mention winches. I was picking them up the other day at Harbor Freight to see how much they weighed. The guy in the store looked at me like wtf? Not that I want a HF winch, just to get an idea of how heavy one is. Not sure I'll ever have enough lift for long arms. I'm pretty happy with where I am now. Never intended to be this high, really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
After today it's going to suck for a while here. I have heat in my garage but not enough room to work with the Heep in there. The ATVs and couch take up too much room. My parents are only 15 mins away though and Dad has a badass garage with a wood stove and tools to do most anything.

Fortunately most of my big stuff is done for now. The only thing left on my short list is bump stopping to keep the 31s out of the factory fender flares and to refinish the straight stock bumper I bought to replace the bent original that was on my Jeep when I bought it. It will also let me move my bumper-mounted lights outboard of the mounts where I wanted them originally. I'm going to cut the holes in it before I get into cleaning and painting. That's going to be something I tackle on a weekend.
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #394
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ordered hockey pucks today and picked up a scrap of 1/4" flat stock. The point of all of this? Bump-stopping!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/di...-right-609573/

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suspe...bump-stop.html
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #395
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No building, just some use.

Tucked back out of the way on one of the ATV trails to camp out after my buddy's 40th birthday party. A sleeping bag and a couple blankets and I sleep like a baby in the back of this thing!

Beats the hell out of tearing down and packing up a wet, muddy tent when you're tired, cold and hungover.

I woke up, cut the engine on, let the heat run until it was comfortable enough move around inside, folded my blankets up, and changed clothes. Then I hopped out, put my shoes on, put the cooler back inside, and headed east in search of a sausage biscuit. Made for a very pleasant morning.

I gotta get my wife to try sleeping in there with me. And other stuff.
Unread 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #396
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I gotta get my wife to try sleeping in there with me. And other stuff.

Haha thats how me and my wife have camped a few times. Works out pretty comfortably. And Im a little on the tall side but that doesnt stop us from doing the "other stuff" as well. So no worries there!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #397
Muddeprived

Just need some good dampers back there.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #398
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I never did finish my bump stopping but I went wheeling today. Only one instance of rubbing all day. Not bad at all!

A short video from today.

Videos and pictures never show the true difficulty of any given terrain. There was at least a 15' change in elevation on that short hill. Good times!
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #399
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I never did finish my bump stopping but I went wheeling today. Only one instance of rubbing all day. Not bad at all!

A short video from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy81NE5A1x4

Videos and pictures never show the true difficulty of any given terrain. There was at least a 15' change in elevation on that short hill. Good times!
Not to bad so I take it the treadwrights are still kicking ***?
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #400
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

First time they've seen dirt! I'm very happy with them.

And to compare, this was a few years ago on a much smaller hill in the same park with my Michelin streeties, no heat and zero oil pressure at hot idle.

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #401
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
First time they've seen dirt! I'm very happy with them.

And to compare, this was a few years ago on a much smaller hill in the same park with my Michelin streeties, no heat and zero oil pressure at hot idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKGqy02z9KQ
I dont know my jeeps new rout but Im looking at doing 33 on JK moabs with em I have em on the tow slut and they are doing amazing.
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #402
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Every since I've had this thing, I've had an issue with brown gunk in the coolant. I know what that typically is and on the previous engine, your assumption was probably correct. On this engine, I think it's just residue from installing a new cooling system with the old engine intact.

I started reading up on flushing the radiator and cooling system and a lot of guys swear by Cascade Dishwasher Detergent. I bought a bottle today and a fresh gallon of antifreeze. I've flushed the old coolant out and ran about 20 gallons through the system until the water ran clear from the petcock, lower radiator hose and top of the radiator. I mixed 3 cups of dishwasher detergent in with about a gallon of water, added it to the system and topped it off. At idle it got up to around 210. Going to run some errands now. I'll keep a careful eye on the temps but it certainly seems like this stuff will work. I may end up leaving it in the system for a day or two if temps stay manageable.

After this I'll flush the hell out of it and go back to regular coolant and follow-up in a few months when I know whether or not the gunk returns.
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #403
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Every since I've had this thing, I've had an issue with brown gunk in the coolant. I know what that typically is and on the previous engine, your assumption was probably correct. On this engine, I think it's just residue from installing a new cooling system with the old engine intact.

I started reading up on flushing the radiator and cooling system and a lot of guys swear by Cascade Dishwasher Detergent. I bought a bottle today and a fresh gallon of antifreeze. I've flushed the old coolant out and ran about 20 gallons through the system until the water ran clear from the petcock, lower radiator hose and top of the radiator. I mixed 3 cups of dishwasher detergent in with about a gallon of water, added it to the system and topped it off. At idle it got up to around 210. Going to run some errands now. I'll keep a careful eye on the temps but it certainly seems like this stuff will work. I may end up leaving it in the system for a day or two if temps stay manageable.

After this I'll flush the hell out of it and go back to regular coolant and follow-up in a few months when I know whether or not the gunk returns.
Let me know how this works, I too am due a flush after finding silty deposit in the bottom of my radiator fill neck.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #404
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So far: it smells good when you pop the radiator cap and stayed under 210 after idling up to operating temp and doing about a 5-mile loop.
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #405
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My weekend has gotten away from me. Been sick and had a wedding to go to. More or less, since Friday morning it was like to to the doctor, sleep, go pick up prescriptions, sleep, go buy nice clothes, sleep, pack, drive, drink, sleep, drive, pull into the yard next to the hose to flush out cleaner, sleep instead. Ran 195 all day today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.