Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 02-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #376
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure that I needed sliders but I definitely know I like my doors being able to open so they seemed like a logical addition. My rims are from one of your twins, in a round-about way. I bought them with well-worn 31s from my buddy Mike (Red82). He has a 97 that I've seen with steelies, 90s aluminum rims and these. He's got 33s and chrome steelies on it now.

Unread 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #377
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You're running the Tread Wright Guard Dogs right? How are you liking them? I'm probably going to need new meats this summer and with DD duty need to keep the tread mild.
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #378
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a huge fan of the tread pattern. I have a set of the old first gen Wrangler MT/Rs in 35x12.50-15 on my truck. They whine a little but they ride fine. The wet traction is incredible. Awesome in snow as well. Not to aggressive for sand either. I haven't really put that many miles on these Treadwrights so I can't really speak for longevity but a buddy running the ATs in the same size is happy with how his are wearing. Average of 2.5 oz to balance them, which is fine with me.

The 31s are part of the the new "tip to tip" sizes. They now cover the whole tire, not just the tread, so inventory is more consistent because they're not waiting on matched casings. I asked them about the variances between manufacturers' casings and they said they match them up according to size rather rather than simply brand. Works for me. I got two tires as hand-me-downs and had to wait almost 6 months for them to get back in stock before I could order my second two. That's shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I cleaned up one of my old BFGs a few days ago so it could be mounted as a fullsize spare. The original spare was a 225/75R15 Michelin and was brand new. I asked the guy if the Michelin was worth anything. He looked it over and said $20. I told him to trade me for the mounting and we'd call it even. Gotta love a good hook up!
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #379
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up some additional pieces today for getting my sway bar links away from my coils. Not sure what I'll end up using yet.

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #380
Red82
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
It's been weird. CF, NAXJA and here have all been inundated with noob questions lately. I had no idea the crowd here was so young until somebody put up an XJ owners age poll a couple months ago. I guess there's constantly more of them. Fortunately XJ prices seem to be going up so at some point we'll have these rare, sought-after rigs (like the Sammies are getting be) while everybody else is buying IFS stuff and wondering why they can't make it up stuff.

In build news, this morning I placed my order for a set of AJs standard sliders with some minor customizations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Im 17, I try and keep my noob questions to a minimum.
I also wheel with some skill, I may get into it but not as bad as my friends do.
and IFS
Quote:
The worst is when something is asked when the same question is just a few lines below it making the fact that the noob didn't search glaringly obvious.

But legitimate questions are okay anytime. You seem to be doing great with your build!
Kind of what you said. I don't think anybody has a problem with noobs and their questions, it's just at times like, "c'mon! Use some sort of search. Google is your friend! Read through the sites some and find your info!" Too many people just aren't willing to put the time into researching what to Di and want people to be like, do x, y, and z. If you're having trouble with something ask away!
Red82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #381
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
Kind of what you said. I don't think anybody has a problem with noobs and their questions, it's just at times like, "c'mon! Use some sort of search. Google is your friend! Read through the sites some and find your info!" Too many people just aren't willing to put the time into researching what to Di and want people to be like, do x, y, and z. If you're having trouble with something ask away!
Very true! To be honest I find it easier to search than to ask a question and have to wait for a reply. There are certainly oddball circumstances, but for the most part almost everything that could be asked has been covered at some point.

Sorry for the threadjack Kevin, just had to chime in haha.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #382
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, going to try to catch up some on my build thread here. I've done a ton of little things lately and I've been asking questions as I did them without updating this thread with what was going on.

We had a local XJ meetup. Some folks from here, CherokeeForum and our local club.

I brought all my spare parts home to clean up Dad's garage some and so I can start prepping the replacement rear bumper.

I borrowed the shop at work to aim my headlights. I followed the process from the FSM. What a different it makes!

Unread 03-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #383
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is my install of my rock rails from AJ's Offroad Armor. $275 shipped plus a can of self-etching primer, two cans of Rustoleum satin black and a quart of acetone. I've been ready to get these since 2010 but other, more-pressing things came up, like my engine swap, wedding and honeymoon. So these got delayed a bit. Well, the time finally came and I was still able to get them in the same price range with the same customizations. From the fabricator, the ends caps of the outer rails have a diamond plate pattern. I wanted them smooth. They hooked me up, no charge. Customer service has been great as well. I anticipated building rails myself but all said and done, I think it only cost me about $50 more to get them to do it for me. YMMV.

Anyway, they shipped all plastic-wrapped together.

You can see where they dressed the corners and smoothed the end caps for me.

No pictures I've seen really illustrated the components and shapes involved here, so I did this for reference.

News team and sawhorses assembled, it's time to clean, prime and paint.

A little scale and surface rust but it all cleaned up easily.

Primed like 1-3-5.

Satin black was the perfect choice. The finish looks factory and by using a rattle can, touch-up after trail damage is easy.

Time to gather your helpers for the install.

If you're like me, your pinch seems have already been trail-modified.

Dad had these. Don't know what they're really for but they worked great as hand seamers for straightening things out.

Clamped in place, ready to start the install.

The test-fit showed that the rails weren't sitting high enough up.

That means some notching of the pinch seam over the mounting legs is in order. Mark 'em out.

Marks made, time for some sparks made.

Doesn't take much. I went about halfway through the pinch seam.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #384
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Next up, marking for the pinch seam bolts.
I used a cap from starting fluid and filled it with some red spray paint.

I then used some weird, long Q-tip I found in Dad's garage to apply the paint through the bolt holes onto the pinch seam.

There's no way to drill these out with the rails in place.

They turn out pretty well centered in the pinch seam, thanks to the earlier notching.

Bolted up. I ran the bolts this way to protect the threads.

Overall the fit was good but on the drivers side rear foot wasn't quite where I needed it.
I used the factory XJ jack to spread it closer to the frame rail. Worked well.

Because of the bent pinch seam, I couldn't seat it as high as I needed.
I took a floor jack with a chunk of 4x4 and raised it into place.

Center punch and drill your frame holes with the rails in place.

Bolted.

Biggity bam.

Done and daylight.
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #385
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can see the rub marks on the springs from the stock sway bar links. I'm still working on that.

These were my OEM bump stops. One was installed up side down and the other was sitting on the spring perch.
I replaced them with some cheapies from Quadratec. I pried them in through the coils and they popped right in place.

The stock speedometer gear for my XJ was a 34-tooth.

I didn't pull it to find out, but I had GPS verified its accuracy with my 235/75R15s. I then used some formulas from "High-Performance Jeep Cherokee Builder's Guide." I also rolled the tires up to my work bench, slid a framing square up to the back, then drew a line on the floor. Measuring from the leg of the work bench to the line told me the diameter.

Formula 1:

Old Tire Diameter / New Tire Diameter x New Gear Ration / Old Gear Ratio x Old Tooth Count = New Tooth Count

Formula 2:

(63360 / (MSOD x 3.14159) x Axle Ratio) / 74.5 = # of Teeth in Speedo Gear

Since I was too lazy to pull my existing gear to start with, I used Formula 2 first after getting actual measurements on my tires. I have GPS verified the accuracy of my speedo with my 235s with a diameter of 28.25".

(63360 / (28.25 x 3.14159) x 3.55) / 74.5 = # of Teeth in Speedo Gear
28.25 x 3.14159 = 88.7499175
63360 / 88.7499175 = 713.91615659811740106687986498692
713.91615659811740106687986498692 x 3.55 = 2534.4023559233167737874235207036
2534.4023559233167737874235207036 / 74.5 = 34.018823569440493607884879472531

34 teeth and epic decimal places!

Now, back to Formula 1...

I didn't change the gear ratio, so old / new would be 1, so I'll leave that part out.

28.25 / 30.625 x 34 = New Tooth Count
28.25 / 30.625 x 34 = 31.363265306122448979591836734694

So I needed to go all hillbilly and lose 3 teeth!

Ordered a 31-tooth from Quadratec along with the front bump stops. Installation was simple but after reinstalling the housing, I had no speedometer reading at all! What I didn't realize is that the housing is indexed. There's notches for the retaining fork, but there's also some magic numbers on the side of the housing. You need to align the housing with the forks so that the number of teeth you have in the speedo gear are within the range of the numbers on that side of the speedo gear. Stock, this is where I was.

Since the 31-tooth gear is smaller, I had to rotate the housing about a quarter turn. If I remember right, it said 24-31. (pic needed)

And I managed to fit a 31" spare in the stock location with minor modifications.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #386
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

What did you have to do to get the 31 spare in there?
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #387
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I took the stock bracket off the floor and used a rubber mallet to massage the wheel well down some. That side of the bench seat doesn't latch anymore but I'm going to work out an extension bracket.
Unread 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #388
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I took the stock bracket off the floor and used a rubber mallet to massage the wheel well down some. That side of the bench seat doesn't latch anymore but I'm going to work out an extension bracket.
A rubber mallet to "Massage".......I wonder if I could use that in court on my wifes ex-hubby. But your honor, I simply massaged his head...not like I used my assault rock....

Good to see the updates on the upgrades...since Kevin108 blog hasnt been updated...SLACKER!!
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #389
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108
Needs moar wheeling marks! Love taps! Trail fights!

Sent from under my broken Heep
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #390
Muddeprived

I'm liking how your jeep is turning out. Starting to remind me of my own. Just a matter of time before you go long arms and stick a winch up there.....

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.