Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #361
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Many years ago, I wanted to replace the 2.8L in my 85 S-10 because the valve covers leaked. Dad explained to me it wasn't a big deal but I didn't want to hear it. He didn't press the issue. He did give me a ride to the credit union, co-signed on my first loan and helped me install the crate 3.4L upgrade. If I ever found that truck, I'd do everything I could to buy it back. I put over $6,000 into it over the 4 years I had it. Anything that creaked, squeaked or leaked got replaced with top-notch stuff. Moog ball joints, Spicer u-joints, etc. I built it to keep...and then got rid of it.

My 87 Silverado got treated the exact opposite. Run it until it fails! That truck has been beat to hell but the tactic has worked well. I've wheeled it down ATV trails with the mirrors folded against the doors. I've passed out drunk underneath it and slept like a baby in the oily grass underneath it. I drowned the original engine playing in hurricane flood waters. It's run for the last 5 years with a few chipped ring gear teeth in the rear axle from it eating the spider gears, virtually ever sensor needs to be replaced and the sliding rear windows are locked with two sections I out of a storm window frame. That said, it falls back into being a DD anytime the Jeep is down (so, a lot) and fires right up every time I hop in it. I've got everything I need to to swap in 3/4-ton axles and to regear to 4.10 gears...except 8-lug rims.

I've tried to learn from my previous builds and strike a balance on what I do with my Jeep. I feel like I've been successful with it so far. Doing everything the hard way has kept my investment to a minimum. Parts and solid repair/mod info are readily available and I hope I can hang onto it for a good long while.

Again, thanks for the kind words. I'm enjoying following it too and it's good talking to a fellow boring married guy. You need to update your sig to link to your new build thread!

Interesting! A nice balance is what Ive wanted to achieve since day 1, but as a side job I used to do autobody repair on vehicles I picked up from auction to turn around and sell. Unfortunately that morphed into my personal vehicles. Id buy something, fix it up how I want, then get bored with it after the process was all said and done and sell it. My goal here is to keep my current Jeep as my "ol reliable", so to speak. Something that stays around to serve the role of winter transportation or just to get out in for leisure, but good enough to DD.

When I spell it out like that, our desires arent so different lol. Thanks for the reminder on the link, I just realized i never added it to my sig. And yes, just another boring married guy. Starting to become a rarity on JF. Been getting a lot of the "Im 15 and whats the best lift kit" kinda crew lately.

July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #362
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's been weird. CF, NAXJA and here have all been inundated with noob questions lately. I had no idea the crowd here was so young until somebody put up an XJ owners age poll a couple months ago. I guess there's constantly more of them. Fortunately XJ prices seem to be going up so at some point we'll have these rare, sought-after rigs (like the Sammies are getting be) while everybody else is buying IFS stuff and wondering why they can't make it up stuff.

In build news, this morning I placed my order for a set of AJs standard sliders with some minor customizations.
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #363
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im 17, I try and keep my noob questions to a minimum.
I also wheel with some skill, I may get into it but not as bad as my friends do.
and IFS
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #364
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The worst is when something is asked when the same question is just a few lines below it making the fact that the noob didn't search glaringly obvious.

But legitimate questions are okay anytime. You seem to be doing great with your build!
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #365
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. Taking to long and costing way to much, but that happens. On that note I'm getting some 33s
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #366
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Those factors go without saying when owning a Jeep. More time, more money and more capable than you really need.
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #367
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

true enough, I blow away my friends all the time.
The "$500 Heep" Blows them away when its running happy! A little bit of technique an damn she will roll or make it fly :P
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #368
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It was a Jeep work day! I took Mom and Dad breakfast and wound Dad up to play in the cold with me. He helped me replace my power steering pressure hose, lose an 11/16" Snap-On socket, install a new serpentine belt, adjust my drag link, check my alignment and adjust my t-case shifter.

Then I went by work and borrowed the big open shop space to align my headlights. What a difference!
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #369
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I casually mention to Dad a couple simple mods I'd like to do that require a spare throttle body as a core and an additional IAC to relocate into the air box. I say I may be down to run out to Pick n Pull this weekend. He reminds me I still have a spare throttle body still attached to a spare intake from when we did the engine swap from a 99. Score!

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #370
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Painted some stuff last night. AJ's standard rock rails and Rough Country 3" coils.

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #371
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am jelling.
Unread 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #372
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Not my shop, BTW. That's at work. Figured with the extended brake lines, SYE and adjustable track bar, I should have no problems going up to 3½" to better clear the 31s. My current Frankenlift averages out to 2-3/4" in the front and and 2-7/16" in the rear. Throw in the coils w/ a 5/8" spacer (already have) and 2" Rough Country adjustable shackles (also have) and I should be there in the matter of an hour or so.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #373
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sad to say the 3" coils only netted me 2¼" of lift. They ride way, WAY better than the ZJ coils though. Tomorrow I plan to pop them out, remove the stock isolater (minus 3/4" = 1½") and install a 1-3/4" spacer for 3¼" and a much-improved ride. Hopefully the springs don't settle more than ¼" so I can keep at least 3". While I had everything loose, I tapped the spring pads for bolts should I ever need to add some lower bump stops. I also drilled out and tapped the passenger side to repair a stripped coil retainer clip bolt.

The sliders went in without much trouble. Pics tomorrow.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #374
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

On paper, 3" coils plus 2" spacers equals 5" of lift. In real life, it equals 3-5/16". The lift shackles on my bastard pack are sitting at 3-1/8". When I get around to it, I'll do a write-up for installing the rockrails.

My sway bar links have been crying for a while so after http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/l...lifts-1480098/ I asked around in my Jeep club and was gifted a set of TJ sway bar links which are about 3" longer than stock XJ links. I'll put them in later today.

Unread 02-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #375
V1GiLaNtE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I need sliders...

A white brother from another mother!?

Looking great man!
V1GiLaNtE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.