Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Kevin108's 2000 XJ Build

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #346
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Now, to get focused on sliders... Hoping to have them built by spring.

Unread 01-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #347
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For much of this build, practicality and fuel efficiency were major concerns. Now at ~3" of lift and 31" MTs, those concerns seem foolish. Too finish killing any aerodynamics I once benefited from, now I want a roof basket so I have a place to strap a shovel and Hi-Lift. It'll give me a place to stow the rear seat and gear off the ground too when I car camp.
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #348
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Washed it this morning. Just thought I'd add another pic or two.

(Nevermind, the app won't stop crashing.)
forumrunner_20130121_130010.jpg  
Unread 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #349
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am not sure at all that I'll be able to fit a fullsize spare in the stock location. My arrangement is snug as it is. I'll follow up when I get the spare mounted.

Unread 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #350
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Love your setup, I believe Ive going to have to break over and trim my lower valance like you have done. Been a while since of read through your build, what brand tow hook setup do you have? After a fellow Jeeper got into a mess this weekend, getting some solid recovery points is next on my list.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #351
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Losing those 4" of plastic has helped a ton! Definitely one of my favorite mods.

The hooks are C4x4 hooks. Blast the cheap chrome off the hooks and paint them before you install them. They get pretty rusty over the course of 3 years. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...p?idproduct=40 Despite not being pictured, the kit does come with hooks.

Unread 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #352
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Losing those 4" of plastic has helped a ton! Definitely one of my favorite mods.

The hooks are C4x4 hooks. Blast the cheap chrome off the hooks and paint them before you install them. They get pretty rusty over the course of 3 years. http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...p?idproduct=40 Despite not being pictured, the kit does come with hooks.

Thats the ones I was looking at. My main thing is I'd really prefer d-rings over the hooks, but the only thing like that I found was like an additional 60 bucks. For that much money Ill just build a bumper lol.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #353
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I swear there's a company that makes an affordable version of these Rusty's parts, but I can't remember where.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/vehicle...n-shackle.html

Of course, I like Tim's idea even better. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/.../#post12485696
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #354
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! I may have to fab something up or get creative.

Hows the Treadwrights doing? Im really thinking hard on those. Ive got 3 Firestone Destination MT's on mine right now and while they have served me well, one tire to complete the set is 200+ shipped, and my 3 I have are already at 50-60%. Id probably be better off to get all new tires.

Im mainly concerned with offroad durability with them.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #355
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

They do great back and forth to work, 5 miles a day. Felt great in the couple inches of snow we got over the weekend. Not sure when I'll be able to get them in the dirt. Probably not until spring.
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #356
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
They do great back and forth to work, 5 miles a day. Felt great in the couple inches of snow we got over the weekend. Not sure when I'll be able to get them in the dirt. Probably not until spring.
Sounds good, I have a similar short drive to work. Speaking of spring, Im dying to get the XJ out in the woods with the windows down, maybe do some grilling out lakeside. Half the fun of Jeepin is the things we do with them to get the family outside and off the iPhones and computers. Could be why I dig the build. Its everything you need and nothing you dont.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #357
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just read every page on your build. You have some great ideas! The treadwrights look great
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #358
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Sounds good, I have a similar short drive to work. Speaking of spring, Im dying to get the XJ out in the woods with the windows down, maybe do some grilling out lakeside. Half the fun of Jeepin is the things we do with them to get the family outside and off the iPhones and computers. Could be why I dig the build. Its everything you need and nothing you dont.
Checked your build again. We've got some stuff in common, for sure. I hate mud too. I'm really looking forward to spring to get some wheeling in.

My wife has her own ATV. She'll tear up a 60' dirt hill without a second thought but put a roof over her, strap her into a seatbelt, give her an airbag and ride over a 3' pile of gravel on DOT-approved tires and she's sure we're going to crash and die.

I feel about the same surrounded by theme park crowds so I made a deal with her. My wife is a Disney freak and is always planning her next Disney World trip. I told her I'd do day for day, her offroad towards me with her in Disney.

She's always down for trail riding and camping. I've just gotta get her weaned into a different vehicle. She'll be scared for a little bit but I think she'll grow to love it as much as I do. It was also one of the things I had in mind for us when I bought the XJ 4 years ago, so it's about damn time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXJ91 View Post
Just read every page on your build. You have some great ideas! The treadwrights look great
Thanks for reading, dude! Always looking for new ideas. Some of the stuff I've done has been sorta pointless but the learning process is always fun to me. Definitely anxious to get those new tires in the dirt!
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #359
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Checked your build again. We've got some stuff in common, for sure. I hate mud too. I'm really looking forward to spring to get some wheeling in.

My wife has her own ATV. She'll tear up a 60' dirt hill without a second thought but put a roof over her, strap her into a seatbelt, give her an airbag and ride over a 3' pile of gravel on DOT-approved tires and she's sure we're going to crash and die.

I feel about the same surrounded by theme park crowds so I made a deal with her. My wife is a Disney freak and is always planning her next Disney World trip. I told her I'd do day for day, her offroad towards me with her in Disney.

She's always down for trail riding and camping. I've just gotta get her weaned into a different vehicle. She'll be scared for a little bit but I think she'll grow to love it as much as I do. It was also one of the things I had in mind for us when I bought the XJ 4 years ago, so it's about damn time!

Thanks for reading, dude! Always looking for new ideas. Some of the stuff I've done has been sorta pointless but the learning process is always fun to me. Definitely anxious to get those new tires in the dirt!

Interesting story about the wife, good thinking on the deal haha. Im pretty lucky my wife enjoys wheeling, although doesnt always approve of all the spending. I bought this latest XJ as a way to reliably/comfortably get my wife, little girl, and my golden retriever into the great outdoors. Youve got a lot of subtle and useful mods that seem to get overlooked by so many, each one with a purpose. And all most people see is a stock Jeep with a little bit of lift and bigger meats lol.

So on that note, keep up the good work, ill be back here with popcorn.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #360
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Many years ago, I wanted to replace the 2.8L in my 85 S-10 because the valve covers leaked. Dad explained to me it wasn't a big deal but I didn't want to hear it. He didn't press the issue. He did give me a ride to the credit union, co-signed on my first loan and helped me install the crate 3.4L upgrade. If I ever found that truck, I'd do everything I could to buy it back. I put over $6,000 into it over the 4 years I had it. Anything that creaked, squeaked or leaked got replaced with top-notch stuff. Moog ball joints, Spicer u-joints, etc. I built it to keep...and then got rid of it.

My 87 Silverado got treated the exact opposite. Run it until it fails! That truck has been beat to hell but the tactic has worked well. I've wheeled it down ATV trails with the mirrors folded against the doors. I've passed out drunk underneath it and slept like a baby in the oily grass. I drowned the original engine playing in hurricane flood waters. It's run for the last 5 years with a few chipped ring gear teeth in the rear axle from it eating the spider gears, virtually ever sensor needs to be replaced and the sliding rear windows are locked with two sections I out of a storm window frame. That said, it falls back into being a DD anytime the Jeep is down (so, a lot) and fires right up every time I hop in it. I've got everything I need to to swap in 3/4-ton axles and to regear to 4.10 gears...except 8-lug rims.

I've tried to learn from my previous builds and strike a balance on what I do with my Jeep. I feel like I've been successful with it so far. Doing everything the hard way has kept my investment to a minimum. Parts and solid repair/mod info are readily available and I hope I can hang onto it for a good long while.

Again, thanks for the kind words. It's good talking to a fellow boring married guy. You need to update your sig to link to your new build thread! I'm enjoying following it too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.